MSE News: Struggling with benefit changes? Contact your council - £20m unclaimed last

Comments

• Confuseddot
    Confuseddot Posts: 1,755 Forumite
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    No we're not. A healthy 20 year doesn't have that many extra costs. Especially when they live at home.

Be interested to see a comparison how much you get a week and how much do you spend on care/mobility.

How much less than the 57.35 you think you left with ?
    Play nice :eek: Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me.:j
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When we look at DHP claims we look at all income and all expenditure before deciding to award or not and for how long we should award. DHP is only a short term solution and isn't meant to roll on year after year. Someone getting DLA is substantially better off than a 20 year old on JSA.
    yes they are.
    but a 20 year olds long term prospects are far better than a disabled persons.
    i was lucky and managed to secure one of only 2 1 bed properties in the market town where i live.
    the other disabled people face either paying towards their rent indefinately or having to move away from their support.
    DLA is awarded because their additional living costs have been recognised. this wasnt intended to include rent.
    i accept that you say in your local authority, that the costs of disability are included in the DHP award, but in muy area i know a man that is totally wheelchair bound. he can talk but has no control over any of his limbs. he gets 4 14 minute visits a day from carers.

his DLA paid for extra help and yet was taken into account in full when he app;lied for DHP, and so he was trefused
  • nannytone_2
    Be interested to see a comparison how much you get a week and how much do you spend on care/mobility.

there is such a big hump between low and middle rate care.
    as staed above ... this time last year i was struggling to juggle everything. i was having to choose between being able to see my family and paying my rent.
    i moved and my DLA was upgraded. with premiums, my income doubled overnight!
    those people on low rate, that still have significant needs ( my needs are no greater now than they were the day before my nbenefits were raised ... i just managed to tick the box!) are really struggling.
    to hear that councils are sitting on a large pot of funding, yet denying people that need it, is shocking.
    disability benefits are paid because people need it just to live in the most basic way, not to pay rent for a room that they dont use, dont want, but are unable to move because there are no 1 bed places available
  • nannytone_2

you get disability money... what do you use yours for?
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nannytone wrote: »
    there is such a big hump between low and middle rate care.
    those people on low rate, that still have significant needs ( my needs are no greater now than they were the day before my nbenefits were raised ... i just managed to tick the box!) are really struggling.

It's the same for me. I was told by tribunal a few years ago that I was borderline. I was told by tribunal this year that I'd just managed to tick the box for mid rate care.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Confuseddot
    you get disability money... what do you use yours for?

I was querying the point that all those who get DLA/PIP are less well off than those who are 20 on JSA which you agreed with me on ....

What I spend my disability money on is neither here nor there but I do know I am not and have never been before or after my pip award been living on 57.35.
    Play nice :eek: Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me.:j
  • Confuseddot
    yes they are.
    but a 20 year olds long term prospects are far better than a disabled persons.
    i was lucky and managed to secure one of only 2 1 bed properties in the market town where i live.
    the other disabled people face either paying towards their rent indefinately or having to move away from their support.
    DLA is awarded because their additional living costs have been recognised. this wasnt intended to include rent.
    i accept that you say in your local authority, that the costs of disability are included in the DHP award, but in muy area i know a man that is totally wheelchair bound. he can talk but has no control over any of his limbs. he gets 4 14 minute visits a day from carers.

his DLA paid for extra help and yet was taken into account in full when he app;lied for DHP, and so he was trefused

Given that DHP is temporary payment should it not then be given to people who are in temporary in need ... ie the 20 year old in the 1 bed.

This is where the postcode lottery comes into effect though all councils should be doing as housing benefit officer is doing as its seems the fairest.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What I spend my disability money on is neither here nor there but I do know I am not and have never been before or after my pip award been living on 57.35.

So, why does it matter what I spend my DLA on?
    Given that DHP is temporary payment should it not then be given to people who are in temporary in need ... ie the 20 year old in the 1 bed.

But the 20 year old has the option to move to a shared house. The disabled person may be living in an adapted house.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Confuseddot
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    So, why does it matter what I spend my DLA on?

But the 20 year old has the option to move to a shared house. The disabled person may be living in an adapted house.
    Because you were saying that all people who get dla will get less than a 20 year old on JSA living at home, given you are similar age and living at home I thought it would be a useful comparison.

I suppose it depends the 20 year may already be in shared house but the rent greater than the LHA rate.
  • When we look at DHP claims we look at all income and all expenditure before deciding to award or not and for how long we should award. DHP is only a short term solution and isn't meant to roll on year after year. Someone getting DLA is substantially better off than a 20 year old on JSA.

20yr old would be in a 1-2 bedflat looking for work, get DHP.

20yr old in 2-bed flat getting DLA-ESA WRAG, needs spare room for numerous equipment for his disability, plus carers over night stays, wont get DHP because he gets DLA?

is it me or does that sound a bit discriminative againt the DLA recipient purely because he gets DLA he is substantially better off?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure