MSE News: Struggling with benefit changes? Contact your council - £20m unclaimed last

Options
More than £20m meant to help those struggling with housing costs following benefit reforms wasn't spent by councils...
Read the full story:

Struggling with benefit changes? Contact your council - £20m unclaimed last year
OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    but individual councils are still refusing discretionary housing payments to recipients of DLA. truly shocking
  • help4help2013
    Options
    the councils dont have a clue what they are doing themselves nothing surprises me when it comes to them but then again it will probably line the pockets of the big wigs directors bonuses
  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    but individual councils are still refusing discretionary housing payments to recipients of DLA. truly shocking

So if a claimant for DHP receiveS DLA care and mobility but don't spend a penny on care and mobility should it be disregarded as income when calculating any entitlement to DHP?
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    local council guy suggested I apply for DHP, even though turned down last year- seems a single person, reasonably healthy, with no dependents, are not worthy of help with dreaded bedroom tax!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    So if a claimant for DHP receiveS DLA care and mobility but don't spend a penny on care and mobility should it be disregarded as income when calculating any entitlement to DHP?
    i didnt say that.
    someone affected by the reduction in housing benefit on my council arent asked what they use their DLA for, they just automatically class it as income.
    so its not a case of people not using it for their disability ... the council dont care what it is used for .. it is income!
    even though it is disregarded for every other means tested benefit
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    i didnt say that.
    someone affected by the reduction in housing benefit on my council arent asked what they use their DLA for, they just automatically class it as income.
    so its not a case of people not using it for their disability ... the council dont care what it is used for .. it is income!

Let's not forget the additional premiums on those means tested benefits on top of their DLA. It seems fair that DLA is counted as income, when someone receiving JSA alone could have less than half the income of someone in receipt of DLA.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    Let's not forget the additional premiums on those means tested benefits on top of their DLA. It seems fair that DLA is counted as income, when someone receiving JSA alone could have less than half the income of someone in receipt of DLA.

It's not fair when many peoples disabilities costs more than their DLA.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    i dont necessarily disagree with you. i have stated time and time again, that it is the singlres and childless couples that are having the worst time.
    but as indie says .. the disabled have extra costs.
    and those on low rate care receive no premiums.
    up to last may, i was in the position that i received £40 a week in disability benefit, but was paying out in excess of £50 a week to maintain my indepeandance. i was also having to top up my rent by £14 and my council tax by £5. i didnt apply for DHP because i was managing and i thought that the funds could be better spent elsewhere.
    as it stands, the council wouldnt have been interested in what my |DLA was being spent on. they wouldnt have considered helping me regardless.
    someone on JSA has far more prospects of improving their lot than a disabled person
  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    i didnt say that.

When we look at DHP claims we look at all income and all expenditure before deciding to award or not and for how long we should award. DHP is only a short term solution and isn't meant to roll on year after year. Someone getting DLA is substantially better off than a 20 year old on JSA.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Someone getting DLA is substantially better off than a 20 year old on JSA.

No we're not. A healthy 20 year doesn't have that many extra costs. Especially when they live at home.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family