100% Carbon Neutral Gas Tariffs

Options
Being a rather time poor environmentist(ish), I just tick the 100% Renewable Electricity checkbox on the Energy Saving Club form and get the cheapest option.

I gather 100% carbon neutral gas tariffs are appearing but there's no option for that (Note to the Energy Saving Club staff: can we have one please!).

I can't find a list of who does it. Has anyone already done the homework on this?

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Given that gas is a fossil fuel, and it releases CO2 when you burn it, what on Earth is carbon neutral gas?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Biogas, cow farts?
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 May 2019 at 8:00AM
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    Given that gas is a fossil fuel, and it releases CO2 when you burn it, what on Earth is carbon neutral gas?

By gas, I assume you mean methane. Only FF methane is a fossil fuel.

As silverwhistle points out, cow farts (burps) are carbon neutral methane*. There's gas from enclosed pig farms, anaerobic digestion, sewage treatment works etc etc.

So long as the source of the gas is from the natural cycle, then it's carbon neutral with just a circular route as the gas is burnt, CO2 is released, CO2 is captured by plants, plants are eaten or processed etc etc.

One source of bio-methane, would be captured CO2 'mixed' with hydrogen that's been produced using RE leccy, giving you the hydrocarbon known as methane.

Then there's Ecotricity's plans to produce bio-methane at grass mills. If they could build 5,000 then they believe they could provide all the UK's domestic gas demand -that's future gas demand, which will be lower than today due to better build standards and insulation.

*Actually that takes us to a bigger issue, which is the loss of forestry etc for animal husbandry, and the production of methane from cows, which whilst it breaks down a bit faster than CO2, is a far, far worse greenhouse gas. So it's neutral (eventually) but creates even more complications. Ain't life fun.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Piddles
    Piddles Posts: 123 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2019 at 8:07PM
    Options
    Many thanks for those responses.

I've done some limited research, but goodness, it's been hard work. The comparison sites are nowhere with this, and the energy companies themselves tend not to be very forthcoming. They do seem well behind the curve of the developing public discourse. I've tried to find a method of contact for the Energy Saving Club to make this point, but couldn't (unless someone knows better). Without the information, it's going to be hard for consumers to make better choices in terms of climate change.

Should we be talking green gas or 100% carbon neutral gas. I'm not sure.

All the following have 100% renewable electricity.

The winners (100% green gas) seems to be Green Energy UK (largely biomethane from anaerobic digestion), but their quote was a budget busting 75% higher than my current supplier. Engie and their Green Fixed Sept 21 V4 Paperless tariff (24% higher).

Equal second (green gas and carbon offset mix), was Ecotricity (as mentioned by Martyn1981) - 14% green gas with the commitment to go 100% green gas with their own production in the pipeline (but 30% higher cost). Bulb claims 100% carbon neutral gas - or rather 10% green gas with the remaining 90% carbon offset via ClimateCare (5% lower cost). Good Energy 6% biogas, the rest carbon offset (quotation unavailable).

Equal third (100% carbon offset) Pure Planet (5% lower cost), British Gas Energy Plus Protection Green May 2020 tariff (6% lower cost) and E-on Fix Online Exclusive v2 with Clean £2 (you pay an extra £2 per month over the regular Fix Online Exclusive v2 tariff) (4% lower cost).

If I've missed any, let me know and I'll add them.

So.... I'm going with Bulb.
  • Piddles
    Options
    Added a rather surprising late entrant: British Gas with their Energy Plus Protection Green May 2020 Tariff. 100% carbon offset gas.
  • Piddles
    Options
    And.... another new entrant: E-on Fix Online Exclusive v2 with Clean £2 (you pay an extra £2 per month over the regular Fix Online Exclusive v2 tariff) 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon offset gas.

There was piece on Radio 4 about energy comparison sites and one of the commentators was saying that only a relatively small proportion of users ticked the 100% renewable electricity boxes :(. But then a lot of the cheapest tariffs were from the smaller suppliers and they were already 100% renewable electricity :).
  • Piddles
    Options
    And straight in at Number 1.... Engie and their Green Fixed Sept 21 V4 Paperless tariff with 100% renewable gas. Though at a 24% premium.
  • Piddles
    Options
    Into the second place group goes Good Energy. 6% biogas with the rest carbon offset. Their quotation system wasn't working at time of writing. I'll revisit in a couple of days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure