PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Part time job as EA?

Comments

• freeisgood
    freeisgood Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The jobs i've seen for Estate agent saturday work (showing properties to tenants and buyers) are only around minimum wage.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    TobyLarone wrote: »
    Letting didn't actually cross my mind, was only considering selling but either would be fine.

Well, you did say "offering myself on a casual basis to show prospective tenants around houses on Saturdays only."

What I was thinking is I could offer myself to get paid per viewing rather than an hourly rate. I guess the smaller independent agents would be more flexible than chains. But how much per viewing? I'd want to make myself as attractive to agents as possible with no expectations of regular work.

Somewhere between "how much you want" and "how much the agent is willing to pay"

Unless you want to do it as unpaid work experience, you need to cover your costs as well as getting something for your efforts. By the time you factor in running costs for the car, suitable business clothing, and petrol costs to get between your home, agents' offices (to pick up/drop off keys), and to/from properties, how much would you want or need on top of that?

You and they also need to consider security/insurance for keys. If you're viewing at weekends, would you take the keys home over Sunday night and keep them till next Saturday, when you're next at the office? If you dropped them back at the office on Saturday, then, depending on where you and the properties are in relation to the office, you could be doing loads of miles back and forth... all of which eats into your pay.
  • Good spot, not sure why I used that term!
  • googler
    You also need to look at it from the EA's point of view. If they take you on as an employee, then they need to consider PAYE, taxation, NI, and Pension Contributions for you. They might take the view "Why should we bother with all this, just for a few hours of work at weekends?"

If they hire you as an independent contractor, all this disappears, and you then need to handle it yourself, as a self-employed sole trader, or by setting up a limited company. This takes up your time and money, and it's debatable whether it's worth it for weekend work.
  • Thanks, good points. I'll just have to see what they say I guess. We are in the process of moving house at the moment so will be getting a lot of exposure to EAs over the coming months so will bring it up in conversation and guage it from there. it's likely to push me into higher tax bracket too so might not be worth it but as I mentioned in my first post it would be something I'd enjoy in think (to the point I've actually considered it as a new career)

Thank you
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 January 2018 at 4:50PM
    TobyLarone wrote: »
    (to the point I've actually considered it as a new career)

So you fancy a step (or should that be flight?) down from IT consultant.

Have a read of this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5768947
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    There might be some part time jobs available here: http://https://www.indeed.co.uk/Purplebricks-jobs
  • Gwendo40
    Gwendo40 Posts: 349 Forumite
    You must be a very poorly paid IT consultant if you consider doing a Saturday job for an estate agent as a form of career progression
  • googler

Especially post #20 therein.
  • Gwendo40 wrote: »
    You must be a very poorly paid IT consultant if you consider doing a Saturday job for an estate agent as a form of career progression

Quite the contrary, I'm paid very well. I am just fed up of being sat in an office for 8 hours a day when I could be 'out and about'. Like I said one day a week would mean no risk if I didn't like it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure