PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House running tips

Options

Comments

• Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    P.S. make sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eddy, speak to neighbours, look for trades vans parked at neighbour's houses. Far better to know some local people than to rely on insurance policies and national firms.

Also, join a couple of local facebook groups and look for recommendations on there (being wary NOT to believe what everyone says as half the recommendations are for people's own family members or pals).
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    When I bought my first property (many years ago) I was given the Readers Digest DIY manual as a moving in present.

Still have it and it has done me proud over the years.

Nowadays utube shows you how to fix many problems, but I'd still recommend an (updated!) DIY manual, along with a basic tool set.

You must be ancient, did the house come with some cakes too?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Do NOT use one of the commercial trade recommendation websites. They make their money from contractors paying them to be listed. So do you think they'll be keen to remove paying tradesmen who get poor feedback.....??

A good tip. I have spent approaching £1m on work for renovation projects over the last 4 years. They were in 3 different parts of the country so I couldn't bring the tried and trusted trades to each of the new projects so occasionally I dipped into one or two of the "trustedbodger.com" websites for quotes or small jobs. Without exception, the quotes were ludicrous, the work was shoddy and the gut feeling I had about people turning up was bad. Never again.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Well the sellers did have a percolator going and made me coffee on both the first 2 viewings......

Yup that old trick!
  • EddyBaloch
    Options
    Hello folks! I want to thank each one of you for the invaluable advice. It has certainly made me feel more confident. So here is what I am going to do

1) Find trusted local tradesmen through recommendation from neighbors. It is a great neighborhood and majority of people I have met have lived there for over 20-30 years.

2) As the property has been empty for over a year, I am going to get it checked for gas and electric safety. I will also pay for the boiler service. It is an old back boiler.

3) Not getting any insurance and will make a separate fund for the rainy day. There is an emergency cover included in by building insurance for the first year so I can't do anything about that but will not renew it next year.

4) Stay away from those tradesmen finding websites.

5) Install carbon monoxide / fire alarms.

Cheers,
    Eddy.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »

GM knows Mr Kipling's grandad.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 October 2017 at 10:34AM
    Options
    Change all the locks as soon as possible after moving in.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll always need to have buildings insurance, but boiler c0ver, plumbing, appliance cover etc are all questionable.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Go out and check the gutters every few months when it rains to ensure that they aren't overflowing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure