Great British Invest off or Passive V Active Updates

Comments

• TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    economic wrote: »
    Are these returns in USD? USD has sold off so for comparison to others your performance would not be as strong as you have stated IF your returns are in USD.

Please look at Bostoner£ for a comparison. Bostonerimus is from across the pond.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are these returns in USD? USD has sold off so for comparison to others your performance would not be as strong as you have stated IF your returns are in USD.

Dollars, someone will be along to convert to pounds soon enough. In October the pound was $1.32 and in January it was $1.38, but funnily enough, as I live in the US and spend dollars my returns to me are just as stated and surely that's what matters.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Unusually, I find myself in agreement with bostonerimus. The results are all percentage based and you are all working from the same reference point, i.e. 100,000 bananas.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Here we go…………………………………………………………………
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A_T's British Bulldog portfolio down 0.9% on the month. Proof if it were needed that for UK investors there's no hiding place from Sterling rising against the dollar.

Overall since the start up 3.09% to £103,100
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    Unusually, I find myself in agreement with bostonerimus. The results are all percentage based and you are all working from the same reference point, i.e. 100,000 bananas.

But the whole point of this thread is to compare active vs passive. If you are comparing between people on here, it does not make sense to compare returns in two different currencies. It needs to be compared like for like. Of course for bostonerimus, he may not care and thats perfectly fine. But its important to know when people do compare his performance with others, that his returns are in USD whereas the vast majority of other posters on here will have returns based in sterling.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    But the whole point of this thread is to compare active vs passive. If you are comparing between people on here, it does not make sense to compare returns in two different currencies. It needs to be compared like for like. Of course for bostonerimus, he may not care and thats perfectly fine. But its important to know when people do compare his performance with others, that his returns are in USD whereas the vast majority of other posters on here will have returns based in sterling.

yes - isnt that what the bostoner£ portfolio is for?
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    But the whole point of this thread is to compare active vs passive. If you are comparing between people on here, it does not make sense to compare returns in two different currencies. It needs to be compared like for like.
    Aren't you measuring the growth? Bostonerimus is investing in US funds, based in US$, and valued in US$, he is at a disadvantage (or advantage) when converting his growth using our exchange rate, surely?
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 February 2018 at 3:55PM
    Aren't you measuring the growth? Bostonerimus is investing in US funds, based in US$, and valued in US$, he is at a disadvantage (or advantage) when converting his growth using our exchange rate, surely?

Both are relevant, obviously Bostonerimus is a US based investor based in US equities, so the USD performance is all that matters to him.

It is just that you then can't compare to anyone else's numbers as all the other numbers are GBP based, so if we are looking at a comparison basis between various portfolio performances and methodologies having numbers in different currencies makes it impossible, any portfolio will obviously have performed much more strongly in USD than it will in GBP over the last few months due to the USD devaluation, but that doesn't tell us anything about the underlying investment performance.

We would obviously have seen the opposite impact to an even greater degree at the time of the Brexit vote for GBP
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!

The point is that were someone in the UK to invest in exactly the same funds as used by Bostonerimus, or even the same funds priced in £s, they would not get the same % return because of changes to the £/$ rate. So without standardising on a common currency one cant compare one strategy with another.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback