Help Needed, what are we entitled too

Options
Im a bit of a situation and her is the background, I live with my partner in the south west and have two children, a 6 month old and 3 year old

At present my OH works full time to support us on a salary of £28’000 which brings in £1700 after tax, I don’t work as im a stay at home mum

The issue you we face is the fact his job is 40 miles away so he does 80 miles a day which is nearly £300 a month in fuel plus £50 car insurance and £20 tax as we have to have two cars

After he has paid to get to work we are left with about £1350 - £1400, from this we pau £750 rent, £130 council tax, internet, phones, plus other bits making us left with about £300 a month which is then used to buy food at around £70 so we are really struggling to get through

Now before I start I don’t want anyone thinking we want to go on benefits as we are a very proud family, however this cant be normal, to be so broke every month

My questions are as follows:

How does all this tax credits work, as some people have mentioned we would be better off just working 24 hrs between us both and getting the top up? Is this right?

Would we get help with housing benefit too?>

If my OH just took a local job on min wage for 24 hours, how much do you think we would get combined with all benefit help?

Does anyone know what options we have?

Ive tried the online calculators but they always give different figures

Thanks

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Why would he look to work less than full time? Or would you then also be looking to work? There’s an additional element on tax credits for working at least 30hrs.

On an income of £28,000 you should get tax credits of approx £39 per week.

On an income of £9,360 (24hrs x £7.50) you’d get tax credits of approx £170 per week.

If he worked full time (40hrs) on an income of £15,600 you’d get tax credits of approx £137 per week.
  • davetrousers
    Options
    Do you get Child benefit? It's something like £20 per week for the first child and £14 for the second.

• thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you can't support your children on one income/feed your family etc etc, you either need to increase the actual income or generate a second income. Not look to work less and claim.

Could you do a couple of hours on the weekends or evening? Is there any other/cheaper way for your partner to get to work?

Why don't you post an SOA and I'm sure there might be some advice where else to save a few pennies
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    Can you not move closer to his work?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have yu applied to transfer part of your personal income allowance to your husband if you don't have any income?

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Have yu applied to transfer part of your personal income allowance to your husband if you don't have any income?

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance

The OP mentions partner so may not be married, in which case the transfer is not allowed.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Look at it longer term. Yes, it is very tough for family in your situation, and frankly shocking that families on benefits (taking into account outgoings) are often left with more at the end of the month BUT, your situation is temporary. In three years time, your youngest will be attending free childcare and your OH will likely get a promotion. You will be able to get a part-time job and then you'll be much better off. You just have to get through this time.

Also, of course, your OH needs to constantly look for similar jobs more local, or indeed, maybe you could move closer to his job if it is likely to be permanent. Don't take the road of giving up a good job, doing minimum work for maximum benefits, it might be tempting at this time, but no way will it pay off in a few years time.
  • gemmajones1221
    Options
    whats SOA?
  • gemmajones1221
    Options
    I hear what you are saying but with working the min 24hrs @ £7.50 an an hour with the tax credit allowance that would come to £1516 a month which is about the same as we end up with now after he has paid his fuel, we may even get some housing benefit and council tax reward to top us up making us better off working less, its just crazy
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    I hear what you are saying but with working the min 24hrs @ £7.50 an an hour with the tax credit allowance that would come to £1516 a month which is about the same as we end up with now after he has paid his fuel, we may even get some housing benefit and council tax reward to top us up making us better off working less, its just crazy

Until the tax credits are cut or stopped. And what of the future? This sort of logic makes me so angry. You chose to have the kids and you've chosen to be a stay at home mother. You have also chosen to run two cars. Why must you have two cars? Get rid of one and save some money - walk or get the bus.

These are YOUR choices and you should be prepared to take the hit financially. Stop looking to the taxpayer to prop up your life choices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure