Cambelt - change it or risk it?

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The paranoia knowing it could go at anytime would drive me insane. I'd pay to get it done so I could sleep at night. Big Bang at rush hour on that junction blocking all the traffic, a thousand pairs of eyes giving you the evils as they crawl past, well worth £250 not to experience this.

.... and then the time, money and hassle of getting the car recovered from wherever it gave up.

But each to their own.
  • motorguy
    Thanks everyone for your input.
    In response to some question if this helps clarify things. I had the car serviced to ensure its safe as possible for winter. Mechanic said can belt would cost in the region of £250 and my guess is the car is probably worth about the same, maybe a bit less even.
    I'm hoping to have saved enough by February to buy a new car.
    If worse happens, my work is within walking distance so could get by for a while without major issues. Husband commutes and daughter is collected for school. Can do online shopping. Would be a bit of a pain but not a disaster.

Dont underestimate what the cars worth. 2005 Astras with MOT and around 120,000 miles are up for around £800

https://www.gumtree.com/search?search_category=cars&q=2005+vauxhall+astra&tq=%7B%22i%22%3A%222005+vauxhall+astra%22%2C%22s%22%3A%222005+vauxhall+astra%22%2C%22p%22%3A2%2C%22t%22%3A14%7D&search_location=
  • motorguy
    sevenhills wrote: »
    My car(2006) has 11 months test remaining, I would snap your hand off at £300, it does need a timing belt though.

Whats the make, model and miles?
  • motorguy
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Sod's law says that if the belt's going to fail, it'll do so at the most inconvenient time possible.

There are 140-odd 2004 Astras on Autotrader. Most of them are in the £500-1,500 price range.
    Let's assume yours'll sell in six months for a grand, with the belt done.
    The belt costs £250 to change. Without the belt done, you'll probably get £700, because anybody buying it will deduct the cost of doing it plus a bit more for ballache.
    If the belt lets go, you'll get scrap value - £100.

Seems to me to be a no-brainer to do it.

I'm wholly with Adrian on this.
  • chib
    chib Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    If it were me I'd pay the £250 and use the car a little longer, especially if it has been recently serviced.

Could it break? Of course...
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    motorguy wrote: »
    .... and then the time, money and hassle of getting the car recovered from wherever it gave up.

But each to their own.

I'd make sure I had breakdown cover like. :j
  • motorguy
    andrewmp wrote: »
    I'd make sure I had breakdown cover like. :j

Fair point :)
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's a vauxhall.
    Vauxhall can't make a reliable timing drive to save their collective lives, belt or chain.

Change the belt and tensioners quick.

On a Vauxhall, the water pump letting go is the least of your worries. I've had the alloy tensioner body disintegrate at less than 20,000 miles old
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    motorguy wrote: »
    Whats the make, model and miles?

Its a renault Megane, it needs a timing belt and dephaser pully; I have been quoted £500-£800
    I am still looking for cheaper quotes, or I may do it myself.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've got breakdown cover. I will only be travelling around 15 miles a day. I'm tempted to risk it for the short time. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get an extra £250 for the car because it has a new belt. It needs tryes too..... I will do them for safety / case I get pulled over but tyres and cam belt seems a lot of expense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure