surviving on less sleep?

Options

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    Are you aware of weighted blankets? Another drug free thing to consider if it would be worth trying for your son.

Yes I have tried them thanks, he doesn't like the senstaion.

I have also tried one of those lights that turn off gradually, taking the bulb out of the light fitting, relaxation tapes etc

Apart from still sticking to a bedtime routine I have given up trying anything else, as it stresses me out too much when nothing seems to work.

It is me that needs to change my sleep pattern not him, I am able to change to what needs to be done, he isn't.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It is me that needs to change my sleep pattern not him, I am able to change to what needs to be done, he isn't.

I see that, but you earlier said he isn't getting enough sleep himself to wake when he needs to. I hope you find a way so you are both less tired.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On your days off (the weekends?) what happens? Does your son wake early every day, does he need you to be awake before he wakes? Does he ever sleep overnight at his Dad's place? Just wondering if you can catch up on some sleep at other times?

I think the suggestion to talk to yoir GP about melatonin is a good one.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Options
    Does your son have special needs? If so, I wonder if you could get support from others who have children with a similar condition, often there are online support groups. It could be that other parents with similar issues have successfully solved their own children's sleeping difficulties and their advice may help you.

Apologies if your child doesn't, but I thought this might be useful and something you might not have considered.

Do you mind letting us know how old your child is, an approximate age will do if you don't want to be specific, thanks.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Spendless
    Options
    I get to sleep on average between 12.30 - 1.30. My alarm goes off at 6 and I get up at 6.30. I am well aware that is plenty of sleep for many and need to be one of those people, my question is how do you get to be once of those people?
    This is not new to me I am used to not getting much sleep. I do get to have a lie in on the weekends which helps. What is new is the no rest/chance for brain to relax in the daytime with my longer working hours and more demanding job (I did used to have the occasional sleep in the afternoons after work before school pick up :o)
    I missed these 2 posts yesterday. Going from p-time work to f-time work IS more tiring and it will take a period of adjustment before you are used to it.

I am also wondering how helpful it is to you to have an alarm go off at 6am and not get up until 6.30? Are you awake during this half hour or do you nod back off? What it be helpful to set the alarm for 6.20 and get up at 6.30. They are the times I have my alarm set to as I'm unable to get up immediately I wake, but find a 10 minute coming round time sufficient. If this would work for you you're grabbing another 20 minutes there.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could you put your son to bed earlier. Don’t allow him to nap late on in the day to encourage him to sleep at a more reasonable time.

Have you done a wind down routine with him so no tv or stimulation things going on around bed fine.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• iammumtoone
    Options
    Ms Chocaholic - He is 10 he has been diagnosed with ADHA. I haven't found a busy forum to help, I am sure there are lots of Facebook groups but I don't do Facebook.

Spendless - Yes you are right I hadn't though of that, it is natural I will feel more tired with longer hours plus the job is more mentally demanding hopefully once I settle into it, this will settle down. I had the same idea about setting the alarm later, the reason I set it for 6 is every night I think I will get up then so I have half hour to get things done but that never happens so this morning I set for 6.30 got up at 6.40 and got ready quicker, that worked so an extra half hour gained :T

Sncjw - he has never napped in the day even when he was a toddler. I have tried him going him to bed earlier it makes no difference. All tv and electrical devices are turned off 1 hour before bed and yes we have a wind down routine, simple game coloring etc. He then is allowed to read to himself in bed before lights out. I appreciate your suggestions but I do have a bedtime routine its not that what is the problem.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    On your days off (the weekends?) what happens? Does your son wake early every day, does he need you to be awake before he wakes? Does he ever sleep overnight at his Dad's place? Just wondering if you can catch up on some sleep at other times?

Yes I do get a lie in on the weekends he gets up at around 8.30.

He see his Dad every other weekend but not overnight sometimes he goes both days sometime one. I perhaps should prioritise sleep when he is with his Dad but I normally use this time to get other bits done.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can’t really catch up with sleep anyway, it doesn’t work like that.
  • Spendless
    Options
    You can’t really catch up with sleep anyway, it doesn’t work like that.
    No you can't. But you can make it that you allow yourself a time to have a cat nap. If I have a bad week's sleep during Mon-Fri, I'm not catching up on time I've missed out on, but I can give myself a 'treat' of a daytime nap on a weekend and wake up feeling better for it, instead of adding a 6th and 7th day of poor sleeping.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure