surviving on less sleep?

As title, any suggestions?

I am knackered every morning I am nearly sick with feeling tired :(

I have started a new job that is more mentally demanding, as soon as I finish I pick up ds and look after him, I am a single mum so its just me to keep an eye on him.

I don't get to sleep to gone 12 at the earlist every night. I need 8 hours always have done.

It is not me stopping me from sleeping, I can get to sleep fine, its my son who is the one who can't sleep, hence I don't get any either. Most nights I drift to the stage I am nearly asleep only to get woken by son :mad:.

I either need to adapt to less sleep or find/take something to keep me alert.

Please no suggestions on my son having a routine etc, he has, always has done. He can't switch off to sleep he won't change it is me that has to find a way round this situation.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    How much sleep are you actually getting and how much sleep does your son need/get?
  • I get to sleep on average between 12.30 - 1.30. My alarm goes off at 6 and I get up at 6.30. I am well aware that is plenty of sleep for many and need to be one of those people, my question is how do you get to be once of those people?

My son goes to sleep at about the same times (maybe 10 or so minutes earlier as I fall asleep after him) and I wake him at 7. Yes he needs more sleep himself he is always tired but he is a child so can hardly take sleeping tablets!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I could manage on that amount of sleep as a one-off, but wouldn't be able to sustain it over a long period of time. Is it worth asking your GP?

Tablets that keep you awake/alert tend not to be good for you long-term.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    I don't think you can change the amount of sleep which you need to function well as an adult and prolonged deprivation will make you feel dreadful very quickly.

You could try speaking to your GP about melatonin for your son. This isn't a sleeping tablet but it does activate the sleep hormone and is often used with kids with autism and other similar conditions to help them develop good sleep habits. It's prescription only in the UK
  • I am not sure what a GP could do, there is no point giving me sleeping tablets as I have no trouble getting to sleep and I wouldn't want to be knocked out so I couldn't hear my son, he would panic and worry if I did not answer when he called.

This is not new to me I am used to not getting much sleep. I do get to have a lie in on the weekends which helps. What is new is the no rest/chance for brain to relax in the daytime with my longer working hours and more demanding job (I did used to have the occasional sleep in the afternoons after work before school pick up :o)
  • Nicki wrote: »
    You could try speaking to your GP about melatonin for your son. This isn't a sleeping tablet but it does activate the sleep hormone and is often used with kids with autism and other similar conditions to help them develop good sleep habits. It's prescription only in the UK

Thank you that is something I will look into.

The GP has in the past prescribed a antihistamine for him for occasional use, but it had no effect. He only took it once refused it since due to not liking the taste.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Does your son need you at night or is it just the noise he makes stopping you sleeping? Would soundproofing help?

Do you really need to get up so early? Could you sort anything more the evening before for a faster morning routine for both of you?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • theoretica wrote: »
    Does your son need you at night or is it just the noise he makes stopping you sleeping? Would soundproofing help?

Do you really need to get up so early? Could you sort anything more the evening before for a faster morning routine for both of you?

Good point he doesn't need me to do anything for him, he just needs reassurance, he gets scared/anxious and also bored so will try to spark up a conversation.

I need to get up to get myself ready before I have to start getting him up. Due to him not sleeping and being tired in the morning it takes 30-45 minutes of my time to get him out of bed and ready. From 7 o'clock onwards I don't do anything for myself it is all about getting him ready so I leave on time to not be late for work.
  • Wondering why your son goes to sleep that late, is he just one of those people who don't need much sleep. Again I would have a chat with your GP, personally im against medication for children. But GP can refer you to a sleep clinic. Hope you get the help you need x
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Are you aware of weighted blankets? Another drug free thing to consider if it would be worth trying for your son.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport