Sorting it all out... a 'got to start somewhere' diary

A long-time lurker and poor implementer of all the amazing advice here on MSE. At 34, I've only just started a pension, don't own a house, have *some* savings but house prices are continually just out of reach, it's time to start understanding this thing called money.

I'd also like to accumulate lots of badges ;)

To top it off, I have a complicated income. Some PAYE, some freelance, and a flat comes with my job, and my husband is even worse with money than I am! I also want to start a small craft business to help my mum and sister earn some money, but it is taking a while to get off the ground.

Oh, and I'm expecting a baby in November.... where to start?!
Mortgage Total #1: £166,000 OPs so far: £10,250
Mortgage Total #2: £60,900 OPs so far: £0
--
Reno target: plastering spare room £500
--
Targets: Make £ from selling items online. 
SPC 14 #064 Total 
£486.64
SPC 2023 #036

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Welcome, kr well done in posting. This is the site to join to learn about saving money. I have learnt so much from MSE.

Usually it's a good idea to write out your monthly budget in a statement of affairs which is available on this site. Then you can see where you may save money.

Just posting is a start so welcome and well done.:beer::beer::j:T
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • kr147
    kr147 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 May 2017 at 12:32PM
    Thanks for the welcome savingwannabe :)

Yesterday started well with a letter from the Student Loans people.... they were worried I had overpaid, and I have.... by over a GRAND! That would be better news if it weren't that I'm mega overdrawn this month. I'm rarely overdrawn but I had an unexpected expense so it set me back a bit. I should get the money back within 10 days... great start!

One other good thing is that the other day I woke up at 4am, and instead of lying there being bored I got up and did my expenses, which I was well overdue.... so another £600! I need to do my expenses from my other job but I've been putting it off because it will be such a lot of hassle.

I have been spending money on buying plants for the garden (all from half price or cheap plant sales!) but this means that the garden is looking lovely and we are less inclined to go out to pubs and things and spend money, so feel reasonable justified. Someone is selling a load of plants for 50p each on Gumtree so will check them out too.

I'll defo take up the advice and start doing a budget. When I have done it before it has been TERRIFYING however!

Woo look at me go!
    --
    --
    SPC 14 #064 Total 
    £486.64
    SPC 2023 #036
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi kr147 good luck with budgeting. Its taken me a few months to get my head round it. That's great news from the SLoan

I've been getting cheap plants too, from friends / family and local car boot & community centre sales, its great savings compared to what you would pay in a shop / garden centre.

Good luck with getting organised before your baby is due in November !
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • kr147
    Sooo currently looking looking at perhaps buying a house. Something nearby that my mum can live in too (childcare!), and we will move into gradually as my role (and attached accom) may change. So I may also become a Mortgage Free Wannabe! That's the dream anyway.....

As a money-spinner.... I always say 'yes' when services I use ask if I would consider being a case study. I've so far made £200 in Amazon vouchers from doing this!
    --
    --
    SPC 14 #064 Total 
    £486.64
    SPC 2023 #036
  • savingwannabe
    This all sounds really positive. Well done. I like the Amazon vouchers wow.
  • kr147
    I had a meeting with a mortgage advisor today. He was a typical wide-boy but I quite liked him. He's connected to a number of estate agents and he was recommended to us by my boss who is very good with finances. Anyway, he was keen that we went for a 34 year mortgage rather than a 25 year one. I could see some of the sense in what he said, although I always assumed it was all about the shortest term possible. It would mean we could get something much more suitable. Advice always helpful!

I had a bit of a mad spending spree at a fabric sale.... so I'm a bit (lot) overdrawn at the moment because one of my jobs hasn't paid me yet.... so I need to be careful for a while! Garden is looking blooming glorious and I want to be out there the whole time :) You know you're getting old when you think something like that!
    --
    --
    SPC 14 #064 Total 
    £486.64
    SPC 2023 #036
  • savingwannabe
    Does he make commission on a longer mortgage? I think you are right to pay it off as soon as possible as it is cheaper in the end.

I hope you get paid soon. It is so irritating when that happens. Well done on fabric sale - do you make clothes? That's a good skill to have. I have been sitting in the garden but ironing rather than gardening. lol.

Hope the good weather continues.
  • kr147
    It's been a while since I've posted. Spoke to the other half today about possibly setting up a savings pot for the little chap, he seemed fairly responsive. Also got some more tax bill to pay - boo! Does anyone have advice on the best online budget planner? I know there is a great one here, but thinking it might be easier to cajole Mr Kr147 into looking at it if it is online!
    --
    --
    SPC 14 #064 Total 
    £486.64
    SPC 2023 #036
  • savingwannabe
    hi I typed in budget planner on mse search at the top in the search box but I can't add the link here for some daft reason. This is a good one. https://budgetbrain.moneysavingexpert.com/auth/login
  • I'm 32 and don't have a pension either. I'm very thankful my husband has a good one. I should sort that out at some point.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback