Baxi boiler E133 - we've tried everything!

Options
7weeks ago we had the error code E133 to our boiler - no heating, no hot water.
We called out the gas safe guy who does our servicing for us. He was miffed but said it could be the gas valve or the printed circuit board. He explained that neither were cheap fixes inc' labour, so he would recommend we signed up for British Gas' Home Care scheme.

We did this and we will next be on our NINTH engineer visit, they've replaced a shed load of stuff and we're still no further forward.

What I have observed happening is - they replace whatever it is they've decided to replace on that occasion, get the boiler going, are satisfied they've done the job, leave, heating goes off at 10pm on timer... Won't come on again for 6am.

On occasion through sheer frustration we have been able to sit in the boiler cupboard and reset enough times for it to ignite. BUT this is only when the heating dials are turned up to maximum and is sporadic anyway (doesn't happen every time, most of the time we've just left it grumbling to itself with error code E133 flashing on the dial until the next engineer is out).

What they have done so far:
- cleared the electrode
- replaced the electrode
- replaced gas valve
- repaired a leak on iso valve
- washed through heat exchanger
- set ratios on gas valve
- replaced printed circuit board
- replaced spark generator

Frankly we're losing our patience. I've had 2days off work to accommodate them and my other half has had time off and worked from home the other 6.
At what point do they tell us we need a new boiler!? Can any of you good people shed any light?

Comments

• Alex1983
    Options
    Has anyone got the grid to replace the gas meter governer, could be sticking on 1st demand in the morning.
  • Alex1983
    Options
    Also get the condense trap and pipework checked, may have a partial blockage which is draining away after a while and then allowing the boiler to work for a while.
  • LLizz
    LLizz Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    Has anyone got the grid to replace the gas meter governer, could be sticking on 1st demand in the morning.

Hiya, thanks for reply, not thought to do this as we moved in the house 4 years ago and could smell gas so they replaced the entire gas metre in the cupboard as it was so old which solved the gas leak/smell issue.

The British Gas guys and have been in and out of the gas metre cupboard and never suggested it.

Even though its been fixed/replaced so recently, is it worth a call still?
  • Alex1983
    Options
    It's probably unlikely to be the cause of the fault if it's only 4yrs old but probably still worth doing just in case, I'd be surprised if the grid change it if you call and ask but they probably would if BG request it.

Condense is the next place I'd look, where does the condensed pipework go? Does it go out side to it own drain or join into you internal waste system? Have you had any issues with blocked drains etc?
  • LLizz
    edited 13 November 2018 at 12:29PM
    Options
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    It's probably unlikely to be the cause of the fault if it's only 4yrs old but probably still worth doing just in case, I'd be surprised if the grid change it if you call and ask but they probably would if BG request it.

Condense is the next place I'd look, where does the condensed pipework go? Does it go out side to it own drain or join into you internal waste system? Have you had any issues with blocked drains etc?

Yes that's what everyone seems to also be saying with it being so new.
    I contacted the grid, just. They've said they can't raise it as a job and to call our supplier to ask that they do. Just awaiting a call back from Eon (could be some time).
    The pipework is crackers. It's outside. And leads from what appears to be a drilled hole under the concrete path at the side of our house right up the external wall and into the boiler which is in the main bedroom.
    No blocked drains so far as I'm aware! Who would we need to call on to check the pipework?
  • LLizz
    Options
    Update, the valve on the governer has been replaced.
    The heating/water is on once more...
    Time will tell (literally, 6am)if its done the trick or not... 🙈
  • LLizz
    Options
    Nope... Worked the first morning. Not this morning.
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    I think you'll need to be looking at the condense now....

I would of thought they have checked the basics, inlet pressure, working pressures, injector, flue, ratios and gas rates. Get the polarity checked and make sure the earths are good.

As unlikely as I think it would be I suppose the burner could be the issue, after that I think it can only be a new part already fitted that's faulty.
  • LLizz
    Options
    Just incase anyone checks for an update:
    Had our tenth engineer out at the beginning of the week to assess the situation (which btw remained the same). Same guy came out wednesday with parts and the boiler now appears to be working!

He replaced:
    Ignition probe
    Spark generator and tube between gas valve and fan.

He suspects it was the tube as he says itd gone brittle and stiff over time...

British gas now hounding us for a review as the guy told us his manager was fuming we'd had ten visits and noone had triggered an issue back at base!
    The issue is in the call centre... They're not wiling to let you speak to anyone senior and just wanna book you on for the call out. Madness!
    Fingers crossed a peaceful winter/season now with heating and water!!
  • charlotteg1
    Options
    We have exactly the same problem and are totally fed up!! Feels like every night we’re waiting in for someone to come and look at the boiler but they’ve not been able to fix it yet. The problems started in June and we managed fine just resetting it but before Christmas it went off and we couldn’t get it back on. Now it’s back to being intermittent, lots of parts replaced but still not fixed. Have you had any problems since?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure