Mini Maglite and AA batteries

Comments

• Can you take the head off to push the batteries through? Can you clean the inside of the torch and add a wax or lubricant?

I don't see how the top will come off. I have thought about WD40 or Finish Line "dry" lubricant from my bike, but the batteries really get stuck, and different brands stick in different places(!?).

I may have some old AAs about the house and will try them. I agree with Aylesburyduck (#2) it's unlikely dimensional specs have changed!
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Try warming the torch up prior to inserting cold (put in freezer) batteries. Should get enough wiggle room to insert them, ill let you sort out extracting them.

Ive had a few issues with rechargeable over the years but never with disposables, theyre always the same size.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I don't think you described the age of the batteries and if old, where they have been stored. Specifically, if the batteries have been stored in a damp environment (shed, attic), is it possible they have swollen slightly? Just trying to think outside of the box.

Were any of the batteries you tried brand new? (Sorry if you stated this and I missed it).
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • spadoosh wrote: »
    Try warming the torch up prior to inserting cold (put in freezer) batteries. Should get enough wiggle room to insert them, ill let you sort out extracting them.

Ive had a few issues with rechargeable over the years but never with disposables, theyre always the same size.

Hmmmm.........
  • dunroving wrote: »
    I don't think you described the age of the batteries and if old, where they have been stored. Specifically, if the batteries have been stored in a damp environment (shed, attic), is it possible they have swollen slightly? Just trying to think outside of the box.

Were any of the batteries you tried brand new? (Sorry if you stated this and I missed it).

Definitely new batteries. Some were purchased last week.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I've been measuring.
    Aerocell (Lidl) Duracell, Energiser, and Maxell are all about 14 mm + or - about 0.1mm
    Most are 14 mm. The "Roundness" is about the same tolerance. + or - 0.1mm
    Rechargables I have here. Are "Tronic" (Lidl I think.) and they're around 14.3 mm
    Mini Maglite, I can just get past the thread with the "nibs" of the calipers.
    14.25 mm Inside.
    As you would expect, the alkaline's all slide into the torch easily, but "damped" by the air underneath.
    Rechargables are a no go.
    My Maglite's about 30 years old too. was on special offer £20 IIRC.
    Sounds like yours is dented / kinked?
    Will Maglite help?
    https://maglite.com/support/warranty
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,278
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I suspect your problem is that many AA rechargeables are slightly over-sized. The manufacturers are trying to squeeze as much capacity into them as they possibly can, and that means making the battery slightly fatter than standard.

I have also noticed with modern rechargeables that the bump on the positive end is often flatter than it should be. Again, they are trying to squeeze in a little extra length. But it doesn't help when the gadget you are putting the batteries in has bumps of plastic each side of the positive terminal to stop it making contact if you put the batteries in the wrong way.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,225
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've had a mini maglite a similar amount of time (though I don't use it much now). I have long thought some batteries fit better than others, though I haven't experienced batteries that don't fit at all some have been a pain to get out.
  • Thanks everybody.

I've tried every AA battery I can find in the house and not one will fit.

Looks like it must have a kink or dent in the barrel invisible to the naked eye.

Pity - I really liked that Maglite.

Any recommendations for a replacement? eg LED?
  • i have an LED Lenser which uses 3xAAAs [not really the configuration I wanted but tbh hasn't actually caused me a problem] and it's an absolute peach. Two brightness levels, focusable beam, solidly made.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure