Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nookie5
    • By Nookie5 6th Nov 18, 8:03 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 23Thanks
    Nookie5
    Van barricading me
    • 6th Nov 18, 8:03 PM
    Van barricading me 6th Nov 18 at 8:03 PM
    I live in a flat building with a driveway at the front. There's a no parking sign the landlord placed outside.

There this huge van that keeps blocking the exit, parked right next to the door which is the only exit, and being a large van you can't even climb over it. Already spoke with the residents, the van doesn't belong to anyone in the building.

There's no windows on the ground floor, the ground floor is to a shop currently closed for renovation and no one has moved into the flat on the first floor so it's locked. I can't go jumping out the window from the second floor even if my flatmate happens to be in. I know the van doesn't belong to my landlord who is the shop owner. He does the renovations himself and he only has a car, and wouldn't block the exit either.

Should I report this van to the police? Call someone to tow it away if this happens again? It's happened twice so far, first time parked two inch from the door and I managed to sqeeze through, the second time I couldn't get out at all and was forced to call in sick at work.
    Last edited by Nookie5; 06-11-2018 at 8:08 PM.
Page 2
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Nov 18, 3:47 PM
    • 6,870 Posts
    • 14,945 Thanks
    marliepanda
    If they can't get out of the building they're not going to be sticking signs on the windscreen... although a dent where you'd clearly attempted to open the door ought to have gotten the message across! I'd call the police and/or fire brigade. Non emergency number but it is serious, you can't trap people in a building like that for the reasons already mentioned. I'd hope the police tow it/contact the owner fairly swiftly.

How long does it stay? Have you tried waiting until the driver comes back and having a word?
    Originally posted by Rosemary7391
    Don't worry guys, I think things have resolved...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5921059
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 8th Nov 18, 8:09 PM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 45,711 Thanks
    Barny1979
    If the van is parked right up against the building is it also parked on the pavement? If so, the Council will tow it if there isn't room for wheelchairs/prams etc. to pass without stepping out into the road and into the path of traffic.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    The council will not move vehicles that are not parked in contravention of a parking restriction, unless you are in London?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Nov 18, 8:17 PM
    • 32,916 Posts
    • 20,731 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Don't worry guys, I think things have resolved...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5921059
    Originally posted by marliepanda

Or got bored being stuck in the flat the OP started to hallucinate adn typed the other post.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Nov 18, 9:40 PM
    • 16,513 Posts
    • 12,633 Thanks
    hollydays
    If they can't get out of the building they're not going to be sticking signs on the windscreen... although a dent where you'd clearly attempted to open the door ought to have gotten the message across! I'd call the police and/or fire brigade. Non emergency number but it is serious, you can't trap people in a building like that for the reasons already mentioned. I'd hope the police tow it/contact the owner fairly swiftly.

How long does it stay? Have you tried waiting until the driver comes back and having a word?
    Originally posted by Rosemary7391
    As already pointed out, the op has an overactive Imagination.
    • photome
    • By photome 9th Nov 18, 6:40 AM
    • 13,592 Posts
    • 9,094 Thanks
    photome
    I think we need picture evidence of the problem
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 9th Nov 18, 7:53 AM
    • 6,870 Posts
    • 14,945 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I think we need picture evidence of the problem
    Originally posted by photome
    Iíve already asked for photos of the sexy painted abs, no luck so far
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,622Posts Today

7,824Users online

Martin's Twitter