Transfer Cash ISAs Discussion Area

Comments

• "once your account is open, simply log in and select the option to make a transfer-in to your Easy Access ISA."

I already have a savings account with icesave so I logged in and followed the instructions to transfer my isas from Northern Rock - thinking it could be done on line, but you have to download a form, print it off, fill out a separate form for each isa and send the forms through the post. I have informed Northern Rock of my intentions so that I do not lose any interest on my 30 day isas. Unfortunately I do not have a working printer at the moment, so I am hoping they will send the forms to me through the post. So many things on the internet can be accomplished at the click of the mouse - unfortunately this isn't one of them ;-)
    if i had known then what i know now
  • thingamaBob
    thingamaBob Posts: 21,232
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    jonsayce wrote: »
    I have just been looking into transfering my ISA from the Halifax to Icesave but I can only find information about fixed rate ISA Saver account charges.

I quote "
    Although it's best to leave a fixed rate Halifax ISA Saver open until the end of the fixed term, you can close your account or transfer out to another ISA Manager. However, you will lose an amount equal to 180 days' interest, calculated on the rate at which interest is paid on your account."

Any ideas? Or has anyone else transfered from Halifax?

Jon

Hi Jon,
    I transferred from a Halifax Instant Saver Direct ISA last August with no problems and no loss of interest. Interest was paid up to the the transfer date. I simply filled in the transfer form and sent it to my new ISA provider who did all the rest.

Bob
  • faithless
    faithless Posts: 782 Forumite
    Hi, a couple of people have mentioned this in passing but there's not been a definitive answer:

I have already opened an ISA for this tax year with another provider. I want to transfer this ISA and previous years' ISAs all to Icesave.

Can I do this, or do they only accept transfers when you apply for an ISA with cash from them - i.e. if you haven't already used this years' allowance?
  • [/list]Well, I have just phoned ICESAVE and they have told me that I need to tick it and send it off, but it only applies to people that are opening an ISA with new money and not opening an ISA to transfer an existing ISA into. Something doesn't feel right about making such a declaration when I know it is false.

I asked Icesave the same thing because I thought I was being tied in to have to make future investments solely with them. I was told that wasn't the case and I was free to choose if and where I made investments, I think the wording is clumsy rather than anything else.
    "Every Pounds A Prisoner "
    "Loyalty to the Best Interest Rate"

:beer:
  • faithless wrote: »
    Hi, a couple of people have mentioned this in passing but there's not been a definitive answer:

I have already opened an ISA for this tax year with another provider. I want to transfer this ISA and previous years' ISAs all to Icesave.

Can I do this, or do they only accept transfers when you apply for an ISA with cash from them - i.e. if you haven't already used this years' allowance?

Yes you can do this.

You will need to fill out a transfer form for each different ISA you want to transfer to Icesave.

for example:-
    2007/8 supplier NS&I - fill out form and send to Icesave
    2006/7 & 2005/6 supplier Lloyds TSB - fill out form and send to Icesave.

• new wrote: »
    has anyone else experienced a problem with filling in their telephone number? I have tried several times filling in my Birmingham landline number [first with local area, and then I tried with international code from ICEland, without spaces] - but it keeps getting rejected!:mad:

Any help/suggestions, please. Thanks!

They have an office in Newcastle - try with area code, no spaces and number.

• suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    shirlls wrote: »
    I opened my first ISA with NSI in July 07 with the full 3k allowed. Can I transfer this 3k, plus interest, into the higher rate Icesave ISA now, and then on April 5th 2008 put another £3,600 into the same ISA?:huh: :confused:

Yes you can. So your current 2007/08 NSI ISA with the interest will all go into the new ISA. Come April you then simply deposit the maximum into this same ISA.
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • shirlls wrote: »
    I opened my first ISA with NSI in July 07 with the full 3k allowed. Can I transfer this 3k, plus interest, into the higher rate Icesave ISA now, and then on April 5th 2008 put another £3,600 into the same ISA?:huh: :confused:

Yes you can. Complete registration on Icesave web site (you get a reference number). Print out paperwork and send in and they will do the rest, you may have to provide proof of identity etc, site lists what you need. Then they will do the rest for you, my transfer took 15/16 days from Yorkshire BS.

• Oxyd wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am in the same situation (opened with NS&I in September 07) and I'd like to know if it's better to transfer now or wait until September 08?

Many thanks in advance,
    Oxyd

You could transfer. that's your call. Personally I'm waiting to see what happens when their guarantee to "be 0.55% above BofE base rate" runs out on at least 5th April 2008, then I'll know which way to jump.

You don't have to wait till Sept 08 (when 1 year is up) to transfer, if you can get a better rate all well and good. Also you can't transfer back into a direct ISA so once it's out you have to start again and their performance has been pretty good, well up until December anyway.

• jonsayce wrote: »
    I have just been looking into transfering my ISA from the Halifax to Icesave but I can only find information about fixed rate ISA Saver account charges.

I quote "
    Although it's best to leave a fixed rate Halifax ISA Saver open until the end of the fixed term, you can close your account or transfer out to another ISA Manager. However, you will lose an amount equal to 180 days' interest, calculated on the rate at which interest is paid on your account."

Any ideas? Or has anyone else transfered from Halifax?

Jon

Those may be the terms for fixed rate ISA. You need to know what you have and if there are any penalty clauses for transferring out, then you can make that call.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family