Waiters/restaurant workers (especially in chains) - tell us, who gets the tips?

Comments

• The Sanam Indian in Falkirk does not give it's tips to the staff. I know it's only one restaurant but I thought this was disgusting.

I always thought this was illegal but apparently not.

Needless to say I don't tip them anymore.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    For me, when I tip, it's for both the server and the chef who cooked it, i mean if the food is lovely why would the server get 100% tip and chef nothing.
  • Work at a Gail's. Tip jar on the counter and our customers do add to it. Then the money disappears, never to be seen again. Manager doesn't seem to want to bother. Been there over a year and nothing.
  • I worked in 3 local restaurants as a chef between 2007 and 2015, all were different.

The first was split on a daily basis between all staff, including cleaners, paid by number of hours worked.

The second gave no tips to kitchen staff, they were instead split between front of house and managers on a monthly basis and paid by number of hours worked.

The third split tips 75:25 front of house:kitchen on a daily basis with the head chef taking 50% of the kitchens share - regardless of whether he worked that day or not. The rest was paid on a day rate so you received the same when working 2 hours or 12.

For me personally, I tip on the whole package. If the service is good but the food is awful its unlikely I will tip, but if the food is fantastic and service poor I probably would.

I'm perhaps biased having been a chef, and it was a long standing disagreement with front of house, but chefs often don't get paid any more than waiting staff and in my opinion, add more value to the dining experience. I'm there to eat good food. This isn't America where waiting staff rely on tips to get by, we have minimum wages which a lot of the industry are paid, so when tipping, I always hope that the kitchen receive an equal share.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    evans439 wrote: »
    I worked in 3 local restaurants as a chef between 2007 and 2015, all were different.

The first was split on a daily basis between all staff, including cleaners, paid by number of hours worked.

The second gave no tips to kitchen staff, they were instead split between front of house and managers on a monthly basis and paid by number of hours worked.

The third split tips 75:25 front of house:kitchen on a daily basis with the head chef taking 50% of the kitchens share - regardless of whether he worked that day or not. The rest was paid on a day rate so you received the same when working 2 hours or 12.

For me personally, I tip on the whole package. If the service is good but the food is awful its unlikely I will tip, but if the food is fantastic and service poor I probably would.

I'm perhaps biased having been a chef, and it was a long standing disagreement with front of house, but chefs often don't get paid any more than waiting staff and in my opinion, add more value to the dining experience. I'm there to eat good food. This isn't America where waiting staff rely on tips to get by, we have minimum wages which a lot of the industry are paid, so when tipping, I always hope that the kitchen receive an equal share.

I replied in post 4 that I would tip the chef and am really surprised more people don't. If I have a great meal the first thing I think is the chef cooked that. Often the waiters I have don't even offer conversion so I would rather tip the person who created my meal. Of course some waiters are exceptional too don't get me wrong. But eating out for me, is the food...... Ooooo what to eat today...... :rotfl:
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Working for the IVY restaurant chain. They add on an automatic 12.5% to each bill. This can be removed as it is Discretionary. Though most people pay it. The waiting staff only get 62p per hour of all service charges taken then rest goes back to the company
  • All cash tips are allowed to be kept by your wait staff though!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I think this is a very interesting thread.
    It's obviously gone out in the weekly MSE newsletter (evidenced by the number of newbies posting - Hi & welcome to you all :hello:).

I'm very surprised by this statement:
    evans439 wrote: »
    I'm perhaps biased having been a chef, and it was a long standing disagreement with front of house, but chefs often don't get paid any more than waiting staff and in my opinion, add more value to the dining experience. I'm there to eat good food.

I'd be interested to hear from more chefs about hourly rates.

It's really made me think more about tipping.

On reflection, I think splitting tips between kitchen staff and waiters - maybe with a higher percentage going to the chef than the washer up? - is fair.

I'm still of this mind:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I don't want to tip the manager.
    Any managers out there who want to change my mind? :)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Hp102 wrote: »
    Working for the IVY restaurant chain. They add on an automatic 12.5% to each bill. This can be removed as it is Discretionary. Though most people pay it. The waiting staff only get 62p per hour of all service charges taken then rest goes back to the company
    I'd remove it.

Hp102 wrote: »
    All cash tips are allowed to be kept by your wait staff though!

And I'd then tip in cash - as per my post below:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Even when we pay by card, we always tip in cash directly to the staff who've served us
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    I think this is a very interesting thread.
    It's obviously gone out in the weekly MSE newsletter (evidenced by the number of newbies posting - Hi & welcome to you all :hello:).

I'm very surprised by this statement:

I'd be interested to hear from more chefs about hourly rates.

It's really made me think more about tipping.

On reflection, I think splitting tips between kitchen staff and waiters - maybe with a higher percentage going to the chef than the washer up? - is fair.

I'm still of this mind:

Any managers out there who want to change my mind? :)

I was surprised by that too, I knew chefs weren’t amazingly well paid, but it’s a skilled job that requires some training, I always assumed it was a fair bit more than the waiters.

I don’t really agree though that if tips are shared the chef should get more, the kitchen staff doing the grunt work like washing up work really hard in a messy physical job. I think wages should reflect the skill level of the job but tips aren’t wages they’re a ‘thank you’ so i’d Prefer they were shared equally between all the lowest paid staff.

Actually i’d prefer tipping was banned altogether and staff got a living wage for their work but can’t see that happening!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure