MSE News: TSB current account customer? You can now earn even more cashback

Comments

• Although not on website, phone call to TSB confirmed that cashback promotion has just started and continues to December 2016.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Although not on website, phone call to TSB confirmed that cashback promotion has just started and continues to December 2016.

Did they say it was already live?
  • Pincher wrote: »
    Made a terrible mistake last month. Spent about £1,500 in John Lewis, and got 1.25% cashback by paying using Amex. Just found out I could have used the Santander 123 credit card to get 2% cashback. Talk about aversion therapy. I feel I have somehow betrayed my God, Martin Lewis. :D Forget me Father, for I have sinned.

Just as well John Lewis doesn’t do contactless (as far as I am aware).

If they did you would have to find a way to split your £1,500 spend in to 60 transactions of exactly £25. Then you would need to make four transactions per month from each of your household’s 3 Classic Plus accounts. All for £75 worth of cashback. :D
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Good move from TSB - it will get everyone who has the accounts purely for saving using it!
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • cfp28342 wrote: »
    Still looks wrong to me.

"TSB Classic Plus customers can now earn up to £60 cashback a year on spending, on top of the 5% cashback they can already earn on balances of up to £2,000. But is the deal any good? MoneySavingExpert.com evaluates."

Sorry my mistake. I was reading from Is it any good? Further down the article where it is correct mentioning interest.
  • Zanderman wrote: »
    Did they say it was already live?

Yes, started this month.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lazer wrote: »
    Good move from TSB - it will get everyone who has the accounts purely for saving using it!

I think you mean "it can get each holder of a TSB plus another £60 per account a year". It's not exactly hard to refill each of the accounts to £2,000.

Happy days for those couples who managed to get 6 between them :D
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    lazer wrote: »
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    I think you mean "it can get each holder of a TSB plus another £60 per account a year". It's not exactly hard to refill each of the accounts to £2,000.

Happy days for those couples who managed to get 6 between them :D

Well, even modest use would be some use. My two just sit there with £2k in them, and £2.5K one day a month. TSB are, presumably, a bit disappointed by that level of use, so any more use, however modest, would be good especially if it might catalyse more extensive use.

But to take full advantage might be hard work. The easy bit is adjusting the accounts to have an extra £100 of real spending money each month. The hard part might be managing the spend.

Between us, me and Zanderwoman have 4 accounts, and would need to be spending £100 per account to take full advantage, all in transactions lower than £30. That's £400 per month in chunks of less than £30. That would mean altering our spend patterns considerably but might, just, be possible. Any couple with 6 accounts would need to do this on £600.

We wouldn't, unless switching to regular use of the 4 TSB accounts, want to spend any more this way, as we have other cashback facilities on other cards.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It will take seconds to fp the day's spend back to the account from my 123 so no need to keep any extra in there not earning interest. I am a bit of an anal money micro manager so no real problem here.
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 September 2015 at 5:00PM
    Sadly I don't use/see enough contactless terminals at the moment though, but still a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure