MSE News: BA launches new cheaper hand luggage only fare for long-haul flights

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    BA owner IAG has made a bid for Norweigan.

Best way to wipe out a "low cost" competitor long haul and get hold of some regional slots in the UK.

Blimey. That is not good news. BA have been trying to damage Norwegian by competing head to head with them. Hence the launch of recent destinations such as Fort Lauderdale and Oakland.

BA has a long history of aggressively trying to destroy the competition. Dan Air, British Caledonian, Laker.

BA needs competition. Without it, it will continue to provide a worse and worse product to a captive market.
  • Nick_C wrote: »
    Blimey. That is not good news. BA have been trying to damage Norwegian by competing head to head with them. Hence the launch of recent destinations such as Fort Lauderdale and Oakland.

BA has a long history of aggressively trying to destroy the competition. Dan Air, British Caledonian, Laker.

BA needs competition. Without it, it will continue to provide a worse and worse product to a captive market.
    They might give it the LEVEL brand.

But I agree. Bad news.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Nick_C wrote: »

Indeed. Worst flight I've been on was a BA flight from Toronto to Heathrow. It felt like we were crammed on with nasty cheap seats. The entertainment system was primitive too.

American Airlines on the other hand are a joy to fly with (in my experience). I know who I will choose next time.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2018 at 12:59PM
    I think any advertised prices should be for a standard 10kg hand luggage/20kg hold luggage. If they then want to offer discounts on that, so be it, but not until you go to their website and progress the booking. That way on comparison sites its comparing like with like.

Its getting a bit silly now with many products, trying to compare like with like is made deliberately awkward by shops/services, i know its a way for them to try and show a better price, but surely there comes a point when regulation should step in, what can we expect next, airlines selling seats with no legroom, then pay a charge per inch depending on what you want!!!
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    waamo wrote: »
    Indeed. Worst flight I've been on was a BA flight from Toronto to Heathrow. It felt like we were crammed on with nasty cheap seats. The entertainment system was primitive too.

American Airlines on the other hand are a joy to fly with (in my experience). I know who I will choose next time.

Not defending BA, but your flight from Toronto to LHR was probably on a 787. These planes were originally designed to be 8 across, 2-4-2, but almost all airlines are operating them as 3-3-3 (the honourable exception being JAL, who's 787s are 2-4-2. ANA started out as 2-4-2 but their newer planes are 3-3-3). The "Dreamliner" has a terrible reputation with passengers in economy.

American Airlines started "densifying" their 777s a while ago, moving to a 3-4-3 config instead of the 3-3-3 (or 2-5-2) that they were designed for. BA are now following suit.

I don't think it's simple as choosing an airline. Look at what aircraft they are operating on a particular route, and check the seating configuration and the amount of space (pitch and width) they offer.

And sadly, regardless of whether you chose AA or BA, it makes no difference to where your money ends up as they have a revenue sharing agreement (along with Iberia) on Trans Atlantic routes.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Not defending BA, but your flight from Toronto to LHR was probably on a 787. These planes were originally designed to be 8 across, 2-4-2, but almost all airlines are operating them as 3-3-3 (the honourable exception being JAL, who's 787s are 2-4-2. ANA started out as 2-4-2 but their newer planes are 3-3-3). The "Dreamliner" has a terrible reputation with passengers in economy.

American Airlines started "densifying" their 777s a while ago, moving to a 3-4-3 config instead of the 3-3-3 (or 2-5-2) that they were designed for. BA are now following suit.

I don't think it's simple as choosing an airline. Look at what aircraft they are operating on a particular route, and check the seating configuration and the amount of space (pitch and width) they offer.

And sadly, regardless of whether you chose AA or BA, it makes no difference to where your money ends up as they have a revenue sharing agreement (along with Iberia) on Trans Atlantic routes.

Both AA and BA were on 777's
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nobody is saying you can only take one bag. MSE aren't saying that. BA certainly aren't.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/hand-baggage-allowances
    waamo wrote: »
    A 23kg piece of hand luggage? I would love to see someone get that in an overhead locker.

From my admittedly not great experience, I've been on flights with other airlines which allowed one cabin bag, dimensions I was slightly marginal on so I loose packed my bag and squashed it sideways, specified weight limits of 9 kg or 12kg.

Even on BA to America in 1991, only one bag was allowed, and not that big.
  • Recently had a weekend away in Canada, flying with BA & hand luggage only.

It was a bit of an experiment but we found it OK and would do it again
  • MiraculousM
    MiraculousM Posts: 323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    boatman wrote: »
    I think any advertised prices should be for a standard 10kg hand luggage/20kg hold luggage. If they then want to offer discounts on that, so be it, but not until you go to their website and progress the booking. That way on comparison sites its comparing like with like.

Its getting a bit silly now with many products, trying to compare like with like is made deliberately awkward by shops/services, i know its a way for them to try and show a better price, but surely there comes a point when regulation should step in, what can we expect next, airlines selling seats with no legroom, then pay a charge per inch depending on what you want!!!

This is a terrible idea. Why would they reduce what they offer already in regards to luggage? The reason that i do not fly Virgin transatlantic is purely because of their limits on weight of the hand luggage and the reason i never bothered with Norwegian transatlantic was because of the 3kg less on their checked baggage despite being about £20 less for every transatlantic flight.

If BA reduced its hold to 20KG and hand luggage to a 10KG weight limit, there is no way i would ever fly with them again. They do not offer much at the moment for all of us sitting in Economy (reducing Avios points, taking away the toothbrush and toothpaste on long haul, reducing seat sizes to less than ryanair and now BoB on shorthaul)... it really isnt going to take much for me and the majority of other economy customers to go elsewhere.

Also, if BA buy Norwegian it will be terrible. They will hike up their prices and make it unaffordable to go away.
  • trevjl
    trevjl Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Awful idea. I fly dozens of times a year and mainly transatlantic. Watching the ridiculous amount of "hand luggage" people are allowed to bring on is my pet hate. Had a right row on AA as I was told to put my small backpack under the seat, as there was not enough locker space. I refused as I pointed out that I had ONE backpack and if they allowed people to bring large cases and handbags and laptop bags and shopping onboard, it was there problem not mine. They soon backed down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure