Free Phone Calls using Amazon Echo Devices

Options
Apparently, since June, it's been possible to make free hands-free calls from an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot to UK Landlines and Mobiles at no additional cost (to your existing Broadband charges).

The calls are placed via your Wifi and Broadband connection and do not require a landline. You do need a UK mobile phone to initially configure the service, though.

Amazon are calling this "Outbound Calling" in their documentation.

https://blog.aboutamazon.co.uk/innovation/alexa-brings-two-new-calling-options-to-uk-customers

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would expect this offer to cover calls to:
    - UK landline numbers starting 01 and 02
    - non-geographic numbers starting 03
    - Personal Numbers starting 070
    - UK mobile numbers starting 071 to 075 and 077 to 079
    - non-geographic numbers starting 080.

It might also cover Corporate numbers starting 055 and/or VoIP numbers starting 056.

I would expect the offer to exclude calls to premium rate numbers starting 076, 084, 087 and 09.

I wonder what the reality is?
  • dazzaofdagenham
    Options
    I use this feature all the time.....or rather kids do.....

If they could expand it to includes group calls....then winner winner chicken dinner
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ian011 wrote: »

It might also cover Corporate numbers starting 055 and/or VoIP numbers starting 056.

I would expect the offer to exclude calls to premium rate numbers starting 076, 084, 087 and 09.

I tested a few examples, and so far only these work:-

• Ian011
    Options
    Many thanks for that confirmation.

Presumably Amazon remain unaware of the details behind the introduction of 03 numbers in December 2007, and the changes to 070 numbers effective 1 October 2019. They surely cannot be unaware of 080 numbers?

Not including, at least, 03 and 080 numbers makes the facility far less useful.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Why would you expect all that to be covered? As I understand it you can not call any other numbers that they decide not to be free.

If they wished they could have decided to just allow free calls to Sheffield dial codes for example.
  • unforeseen
    Options
    Many thanks for that confirmation.

Presumably Amazon remain unaware of the details behind the introduction of 03 numbers in December 2007, and the changes to 070 numbers effective 1 October 2019. They surely cannot be unaware of 080 numbers?

Not including, at least, 03 and 080 numbers makes the facility far less useful.

Amazon can decide what they want to be free. It's their call. They don't have to include a the different calls that fall within your normal talk plan.

It is an added extra. Whether it is useful is subjective for each person. I am guessing that they have aimed it at the 'family' market where you call granny on her home phone or daughter on her mobile for example. Not a full blown telephone service. For that you don't need 080, 070 or 03 access
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think that's right. Also, I think it's potentially an add-on to either a Landline or Mobile PAYG account - allowing certain free calls via Amazon that you would otherwise have to pay for.
  • Ian011
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Why would you expect all that to be covered?
    Except for the small number of mobile numbers allocated in CI and IoM and numbers starting 076, all other numbers starting 01, 02, 03 and 07 have termination rates at or below 0.56p (£0.0056) per minute which then allows them to be included in allowances.

Additionally, numbers starting 080 have call origination fees (paid by the called party to the originating telecoms provider) from landlines of up to 3p per minute. These numbers earn money for the caller's telecoms provider.
  • unforeseen
    Options
    Except for the small number of mobile numbers allocated in CI and IoM and numbers starting 076, all other numbers starting 01, 02, 03 and 07 have termination rates at or below 0.56p (£0.0056) per minute which then allows them to be included in allowances.

Additionally, numbers starting 080 have call origination fees (paid by the called party to the originating telecoms provider) from landlines of up to 3p per minute. These numbers earn money for the caller's telecoms provider.

Yes, but why would you think that Amazon would cover them? What have termination rates got to do with it? From the choice of numbers that are free it is obvious that the idea is that it gets used as a family contact facility not a full blown phone service
  • Ian011
    Options
    Numbers with high termination rates (aka "wholesale charges") such as mobile numbers in CI and IoM and numbers starting 076, along with other numbers such as 084, 087 and 09 where the high termination rate is known as the Service Charge, cannot be included as the originating provider would be hemorrhaging money on every call made. Only numbers with very low termination rates can be included, as listed above. However, if this is just a very basic service for keeping in contact with friends and family it is easy to see why the number ranges available would be severely limited.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure