MSE News: Compulsory water meters to be installed in thousands of homes

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Some consumers could pay more for their water, others less, under Government-backed plans to combat shortages ..."

Comments

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Good idea, will make people think about water and not waste it :)
  • I don't have a problem with this at all - I'd been on water meters in my last two houses in Bucks and when the first was installed, our bill reduced by 25%. Seeing how water is wasted in my new neighbourhood, I'd be absolutely up for a meter.

However, given how long it takes for my hot water to run hot from my boiler, I might have to put up with cold water for shaving (or get a new boiler).
  • x_Bunny_x
    x_Bunny_x Posts: 1,325 Forumite
    But it's just water. Water never vanishes. it's still on the planet somewhere.

Also we just pay the bill, supposedly for the clearning of the water, and also all the pipes and things.

No one owns the water, the water is the worlds.

It's just to make more money. How much can you actually use, i mean how much would £1 get you in water?.:huh:
    _Jen_
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    x_Bunny_x wrote: »
    But it's just water. Water never vanishes. it's still on the planet somewhere.

Also we just pay the bill, supposedly for the clearning of the water, and also all the pipes and things.

No one owns the water, the water is the worlds.

It's just to make more money. How much can you actually use, i mean how much would £1 get you in water?.:huh:

Wowzers - never heard of diminishing resources?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Paulgonnabedebtfree Posts: 2,740 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2011 at 12:00PM
    I asked Southern Water for a meter ages ago but they can't fit one in my property. Apparently it would need three meters to isolate the usage of my flat from others in the block.

I asked them about assessed charging but they replied that this would cost me more than I currently pay - though some kind of single occupancy discount might help.

Once we start talking about assessed charging though, it no longer has anything to do with conserving resources but everything to do with making more money for the water company and its shareholders.

One of the problems around my way is that there is too much reliance on aquifers and not enough reservoirs. Aquifers tend to only get recharged in Winter when the ground is already sodden and plant roots aren't sucking it up. Sutton & East Surrey seem to be more vulnerable than most to this scenario.

I'm happy to pay for what I use. However, as a single person in a 2 bedroom flat, with a shower that is used a lot more than the bath, a device in the toilet cistern to reduce flushing quantities, no dish washing machine and a generally good attitude to conserving resources, I suspect that even with a single occupancy discount, I will be paying for more than I actually use.
  • moose1982
    moose1982 Posts: 258 Forumite
    I've just moved from a metered house to an unmetered flat in the Southern Water area and have seen my average (based on the metered bills) monthly cost for water increase by about £4. They have refused my application to install a water meter because I live in a flat and it's age. I'm unsure if I'll be expected to have one soon.

I also saw my sewage increase by Thames Water despite sharing my guttering with 5 other properties now, that is very unfair in my eyes!
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    x_Bunny_x wrote: »
    But it's just water. Water never vanishes of course it does, it evapourates (sp) . it's still on the planet somewhere If that is the case why are people dieing the world over from lack of clean safe water ,or even just water of the dirty kind ?.

Also we just pay the bill, supposedly for the clearning of the water, and also all the pipes and things Well, how else do you think it becomes safe and clean ? some one has to do it ? < you pay line rental from BT so what is that for ? Standing charges for gas/ electric etc.

No one owns the water, the water is the worlds. own and clean is 2 different things, if you want to disconnect your house from the mains then do so..drink only rain water and sea water..although it hasn't rained for ages and sea water is going to also cause you more work

It's just to make more money. How much can you actually use, i mean how much would £1 get you in water?. depends on the water company : a cubic meter of clean water could be as little as £1.00 and that would be 1000 litres so a hell of a lot really:huh:

I am sorry but this is a load of old rubbish, where is all this water you speak of ? I am sure the farmers would love to know right now.

This arguement is just pointless, clean drinking water is not just there. What do you think happens with the S*** ? That has to be cleaned and done properly or we will be back into the dark ages with it running freely into streams / rivers etc.
    Water is one of the cheapest utilites that I can see and yet it is one of the ones that people complain about paying the most.......

Oh and no I don't work for the water industry and no I don't agree with everything they do
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • Gothicfairy
    I asked Southern Water for a meter ages ago but they can't fit one in my property. Apparently it would need three meters to isolate the usage of my flat from others in the block.

I asked them about assessed charging but they replied that this would cost me more than I currently pay - though some kind of single occupancy discount might help.

Once we start talking about assessed charging though, it no longer has anything to do with conserving resources but everything to do with making more money for the water company and its shareholders. This is again just not true, the water company gets a set amount they can have as profit over a 5 year rolling plan..it makes no difference to them and they shareholders if you are on a meter ,assessed or RV. The profit they can take remains the same and is built into each years charges.
    If you can not have a meter fitted that is not the water companies fault, they are offering what they can and if it does not save you money what else would you like them to do ?
    I can see the post now " the water company made me take the assessed charge even though it is more then my RV bill"
    They offered you the best they have now.

One of the problems around my way is that there is too much reliance on aquifers and not enough reservoirs. Aquifers tend to only get recharged in Winter when the ground is already sodden and plant roots aren't sucking it up. Sutton & East Surrey seem to be more vulnerable than most to this scenario. This is a very good point and the management of water needs to be looked at and totally updated, it is being done but very slowly

I'm happy to pay for what I use. However, as a single person in a 2 bedroom flat, with a shower that is used a lot more than the bath, a device in the toilet cistern to reduce flushing quantities, no dish washing machine and a generally good attitude to conserving resources, I suspect that even with a single occupancy discount, I will be paying for more than I actually use.

That is still the problem with meters and that is why it is not compulsory for everyone yet.
    Lots of people would be better off but as it stands not everyone can have one due to the set up of pipe work and properties.
    It will change I am sure but it will take time as everyone will need to work together (landlords/ homeowners/ government/ water companies) to make sure that the cost of applying meters is evenly spread.

Robert Service
  • Gothicfairy
    moose1982 wrote: »
    I've just moved from a metered house to an unmetered flat in the Southern Water area and have seen my average (based on the metered bills) monthly cost for water increase by about £4. They have refused my application to install a water meter because I live in a flat and it's age Have they been out and checked ? They can not refuse based on it being a flat and it's age alone. They need to visit and check the pipe work.. I'm unsure if I'll be expected to have one soon.

I also saw my sewage increase by Thames Water despite sharing my guttering with 5 other properties now, that is very unfair in my eyes!

Sewage : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewage is not just about Surface water drainage.
    It is about waste water that needs to be cleaned..Some companies just charge more for waste water then they do for clean.
    You being connected to 5 other properties will have nothing to do with your surface water drainage bill and nothing to do with your waste water bill.
    You will still be charged for your property type as will the other 5.

Robert Service
  • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Paulgonnabedebtfree Posts: 2,740 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2011 at 5:48PM
    moose1982 wrote: »
    I've just moved from a metered house to an unmetered flat in the Southern Water area and have seen my average (based on the metered bills) monthly cost for water increase by about £4. They have refused my application to install a water meter because I live in a flat and it's age. I'm unsure if I'll be expected to have one soon.

You should keep flushing the toilet to make sure you get your money's worth :D . Sounds like you probably don't live a million miles from me as I am also in the crossover area where Southern Water supply and Thames takes away.

In the bad old days when they were allowed to disconnect the water supply for non payment, my sister was going through serious financial hardship. I advised her that she should always put the water supply before the sewage. The supplier could cut off the water but the sewage company can't block your drains.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure