Where to get water softener salt?

Does anyone know where to get this? Is there anywhere online? I've tried google and froogle and all I've got are dead links to the B&Q website.

Comments

• do you mean the stuff you put in your washing machine, like Calgon? If so, I get mine from Sainsburys - it's their own brand for £1.99, although you may be able to get it cheaper!
  • Try Homebase in the plumbing section

• Those prices seem expensive - last time I bought salt I got 5 25Kg bags for less than £28 but that shop has closed down now. Is this the best price available now?
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    muffinhead wrote:
    do you mean the stuff you put in your washing machine, like Calgon? If so, I get mine from Sainsburys - it's their own brand for £1.99, although you may be able to get it cheaper!

Calgon is a waste of money and so is Sainsburys :rolleyes:

Add all the stuff you buy during the year and you would have paid for a new washing machine. I've never used Calgon and my machine is 7 years old :D
  • Kimberley wrote: »
    Calgon is a waste of money...Add all the stuff you buy during the year and you would have paid for a new washing machine. I've never used Calgon and my machine is 7 years old :D

I agree. I've never used Calgon and my washing machine is 21 years old -never even serviced - hasn't needed it, despite having very hard water.

As for water softener salt, the best money saving approach is to to get the very cheapest salt you can find, e.g. table salt from Lidl. You can only use this in some types of softener, of course, so it pays to think about the cost of 'special' salt when selecting a softener in the first place.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I get mine from my local agricultural dealer, granular is about £7 a bag, tablets about a pound more.
    Also look in yellow pages for salt dealers, you may find one with free delivery for a reasonably small order.
  • Try here https://www.thewatersoftenercentre.com Cheapest I have found with free nationwide delivery. I get mine from here.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Snoopstar wrote: »
    Try here www.thewatersoftenercentre.com Cheapest I have found with free nationwide delivery. I get mine from here.

If you need granular/tablet salt the delivered prices from the link above are very expensive !
    The comment on this site:
    "Since 1998 water softener salt has been available in the 10Kg bag size, which is very convenient for the user to handle and has now all but taken over from the traditional 25Kg bag size."
    is also very misleading - that is not so, there is plenty of 25kg salt around. It is cheaper than 10kg bags by far - that's why they want you to buy 10kg bags !!

This is the cheapest place in my area: See if you have one near you.

http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/Home.ice

If you live around the general Southampton area try H Clark at Totton, they are dedicated salt dealers and they used to deliver quite small quantities for free.
  • Found it locally from Ashford Heating Supplies.
    http://www.ashfordheating.com/MainPage.asp?pageID=4
    £7.16 collection (Homebase = £12.49) / 25Kg.

Found using above advice, water softener salt middlesex google search and, oddly, because I thought they were pretty useless until now, yell.com.

See also James Salt Supplies Center [sic] ebay shop for deliveries to Hampshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Middlesex & London @ £31.25 for 5x25Kg.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure