UK Credit Reference Agencies Unfit For Purpose and must be reformed - Discuss

Comments

• newbieboy, you make a lot of assumptions.

I haven't authorised Capita to search my CRA records for any purpose, ergo they are unlawfully accessing my personal data. If HMRC wish to access my personal data there is nothing I can do about it, but Capita are not the UK government and should be made to remember it by the Information Commissioner.

I see you are a T&Cs waving fanatic. Well before you wave them, do make sure they are relevant. Did I say I used a price comparison website? Even if I did, where was the upfront warning (not the buried smallprint)?

Just what public interest does it serve for X million private motorists to have their credit reports defiled by multiple entries everytime they get a quote at a comparison website (if that's what happened and I don't think it did because as I said, one particular large insurer was told by phone they could not proceed further with the quote)? And what public interest is served by Equifax alerting me 8 months later that those searches are deleted and then 10 months later they are printed on my full credit report?

I told you how CallCredit experienced a security hole (in 2009/2010). They issued an online full credit report to organised criminals who paid £12 for it using a Prepaid Mastercard in my name which had been obtained with no proper security checks. CallCredit then relied upon the Prepaid Mastercard issuer's non-existent security as their own.

You clearly are a fan of CRAs - do you work in financial services or are you just asserting stuff on the back of a fluffy understanding of what goes on?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I did the straw poll at post #13. The conclusion was that there were plenty of naysayers who just visit the thread to ridicule the premise and the OP without offering any evidence to back up their assertions.

Likewise, I refer you to your opening line of post #6.
    Are you a PR mouthpiece for a discredited industry?

Kettle black springs to mind.
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Funnily enough, I don't see it as my job to assist CRA's hold my data - indeed I do what I can to ensure no matching and am delighted to see very little of my dealings (good or bad) reported.

Ways to achieve this include, but are not limited to, providing a middle initial with 26 to choose from, this is useful in knowing who is passing on your details to third parties. Reverse your DoB (the US format) or just work your way through a bunch of years with random dates. Your excuse? You are protecting your personal data from misuse by third parties.

I'm old enough to recall 'Over 21' was simply a box you ticked, now even if you want a magazine subscription a DoB is asked for. It's none of their business, unless they plan to sell on my details and if so, their first casualty is accuracy.

It gives me a warm glow.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Excellent summary by newbieboy.

Only thing I would add is that all the CRAs should provide individuals with free access to their key data, like Noddle does.
  • VictimOfImpersonation
    VictimOfImpersonation Posts: 334 Forumite
    edited 23 December 2013 at 6:13PM
    Thrugelmir wrote:
    me wrote:
    I did the straw poll at post #13. The conclusion was that there were plenty of naysayers who just visit the thread to ridicule the premise and the OP without offering any evidence to back up their assertions.
    Likewise, I refer you to your opening line of post #6.
    me wrote:
    Are you a PR mouthpiece for a discredited industry?
    Kettle black springs to mind.
    Thrugelmir, it seems that rather than deal with the thread topic you simply cannot resist feigning offence and continuing to knock the OP. You have just exaggerated again, and now mixed up words like 'assertion' with 'question'.

I asked you a question. I have no idea of your motives but I have an idea what questions to ask to find out, and I surely do not have to provide evidence in justification of an obvious question on that ;)

Do you see yourself as a PR mouthpiece for a discredited industry?
    innovate wrote: »
    What's excellent about it?
  • Dr_Cuckoo3
    Dr_Cuckoo3 Posts: 1,398 Forumite

I suspect this is because the post is well written and articulate and therefore creates the impression that the poster knows what he is talking about (regardless of whether it is accurate) and this tends to impress lay people.

When reading this part of the forum you will find many lay people advising on the workings of the credit reference agencies.

In your first post on this thread you mention
    recording of irrelevant and secret (coded) data.

why don't you elaborate on this and state whether you consider this to be compliant with regulations etc and whether the ICO is aware and approves of this ?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Dr_Cuckoo3 wrote: »
    I suspect this is because the post is well written and articulate and therefore creates the impression that the poster knows what he is talking about (regardless of whether it is accurate) "......... ?
    Are you suggesting newbieboy has posted inaccurate information? If so, could you detail what is inaccurate?
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post

Just about all of it. But you are unlikely to see it that way since all you are after is people who agree with your views.
  • Dr_Cuckoo3
    Dr_Cuckoo3 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Are you suggesting newbieboy has posted inaccurate information? If so, could you detail what is inaccurate?

No - I am suggesting that you favour well written posts regardless of accuracy and don't have the knowledge (from your experience etc) to know whether the CRA's would pass a scrutiny test

I know which subjects you are knowledgeable on and which your are not .

The poster you are impressed by states
    newbieboy wrote: »
    I think CRA's are a good idea and are well executed.
    and gives some reasons , to which you respond

Now , this thread is canvassing for valid criticism of CRA's of which the respondents appear to have found none.

Having checked the CRA's practice against regulations I have found at least one area of non compliance and a few other "valid" criticisms.

For the record I don't necessarily agree with the OP's views (as expressed by him in this thread) , Tin foil hats spring to mind (though no offence to OP intended).
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure