PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Opinions on my house

Comments

• sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Some large plants dotted around might help. Yukkas etc
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    The problem is definitely the furniture or lack of, the one advertised at 10k more sells the lifestyle a lot better - you would be amazed at how little vision and imagination some buyers have, especially when it comes to the people looking at new builds - that's why the showhomes are built and kitted out with the good stuff.
    The other interesting thing is that it's a 4 bed semi, most developers don't built semis that big (in my experience) it usually goes up to three bed semi then onto detached housetypes
  • Hutch100uk
    Hutch100uk Posts: 605
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you for all the constructive comments and thanks for the giggles at the silly ones.

I agree the house looks bare so am going to concentrate on the sitting room by adding a few pieces of borrowed furniture, plants, rug etc. I will get a new photo of the front taken and I've already asked the agent to remove loads of the photos on the current listing.

I can't do anything about the area but its actually nice there.

I can afford to drop the price slightly if it hasn't sold by the summer so will be doing that also.
  • FitzWilliams
    FitzWilliams Posts: 45
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 April 2018 at 8:40AM
    I went to see the show houses in your neighbourhood a few months back. I really liked the inside of the houses but the area was very dead. It just didn't have a nice feel to it. Too close to the older style houses that didn't have the same look so made the area feel mismatched. The sales lady said a primary school was due to be built close by so that might drum up some interest for families. So it might not be your house as such but the neighbourhood itself.

The sales lady seemed very desparate to tell us everything little detail about the area and the houses so maybe even the developers are struggling to sell. That being said you shouldn't have turned down that offer 2.5k below asking at all.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The house looks clean and tidy but it looks soulless, compared to the one for 10k more you wouldn't believe they were the same size and layout, the other one looks ready to just move in and start living comfortably from day one, even if it's not to your particular taste it is still fine until you get around to redecorating, yours needs decorating from day one, there is such a thing as too much white.

My other issues with the house are not things you can control but are reasons why I would not consider it, or any of the others of the same design.

1: The flat roof, they come with costs and maintenance issues of their own and because it is joined with next door if it ever needs repairing it's going to have to be done as a whole over yours and next door which can lead to disagreements over contractors and who pays etc. It's a big downside.

2: I can't see any logical reason for the silly angled wall and pillar supporting upstairs. The path could have been moved to a different angle/position and there would be no need for it. I live in a house with angled walls and have done before andtgey are not the easiest to work with for fitting in furniture and decorating. They don't look so bad in an old property as it adds character but in a new build it shows poor planning.

3: The big windows in the dining and living rooms, what is the point? They should have just been done as patio/ bifold style doors with the whole thing opening, again it seems poorly planned to have huge windows with doors right next to them instead of just having larger doorways, plus the windows can't even be opened. And why the need for two doorways into the back garden so close to each other?

3: The utility room seems like an afterthought and is just too small and badly positioned.

There are other little niggly things but those four would be deal breakers for me just because there is such poor planning in those areas.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hutch100uk wrote: »
    I can afford to drop the price slightly if it hasn't sold by the summer so will be doing that also.

If you can afford to drop the price now, why not do so and get on with your life? You're hanging out for a buyer who, if the last 12 months are any guide, doesn't exist or can't go the distance.

The real question is actually, do you want to move house or not?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    That being said you shouldn't have turned down that offer 2.5k below asking at all.
    Yes - OP, could you really not have afforded to accept that offer? Isn't affordability getting better as time goes on i.e. aren't you saving cash and/or reducing the mortgage balance?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    The real question is actually, do you want to move house or not?
    I suspect the answer lies in the reason for sale.
  • OP, it's a sad reason for selling a house and a stressful situation for you.

Do you have to pay your parents back immediately? Could you grit your teeth, take a financial hit and focus on rebuilding your life?
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Hutch100uk wrote: »
    The other identical house has now gone up. It obviously looks way better inside due to all the furniture, dressing and the fact its the ex showhome. But an extra £10k seems a lot. Not to say they will get that of course. Would you pay £10k more for an identical house just because it has more furniture and a tiled floor?

https://!!!!!!/2FczHzp
    Not that I'm paranoid, but can you please not use a link shortener?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure