Mobile worker, travel time

I'm currently working for a social housing company on there repairs and maintenance section as a mobile worker with no fixed place of work, i drive there company van and I'm just wondering if I am classed as being at work by (Law) when when traveling to work and traveling home from work?
I've read a bit on the European traveling time directive but I'm still unsure, I would appreciate it if anyone could clear this up for me a bit as my work are saying I dont travel far enough

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    What does your contract say? It may well be written so that head office or your regional office is your notional place of work, in which case only onward travel from there (or travel from home above the mileage from home to your 'base') would be travel time.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When I was field based, we were only classed as 'at work' from your first and last call of the day. Time spent travelling from your home to these first and last calls were commuting, and you were paid to be at your first call of the day at 8am, so just the same as most jobs, its just your place of work wasn't fixed.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mac.d wrote: »
    Time spent travelling from your home to these first and last calls were commuting, and you were paid to be at your first call of the day at 8am.

How did that work if say home to office was 30 minutes, first job is an hour away, did you leave home at the same time or half hour earlier?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Leemufc
    Leemufc Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I too am only classed as being at work from my first job (8am) until finishing time (4.30pm), I try to set off 30mins early to get there (first job) for 8am but the time spent traveling before and after work I'm not classed as being at work, even though I'm driving there company works van etc and am still at there disposal :huh:
  • Leemufc wrote: »
    I too am only classed as being at work from my first job (8am) until finishing time (4.30pm), I try to set off 30mins early to get there (first job) for 8am but the time spent traveling before and after work I'm not classed as being at work, even though I'm driving there company works van etc and am still at there disposal :huh:

But you'd have to get to and from work if you worked in an office? I'm just struggling to see why you consider travelling 30minutes to your first call any different.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mac.d wrote: »
    When I was field based, we were only classed as 'at work' from your first and last call of the day. Time spent travelling from your home to these first and last calls were commuting, and you were paid to be at your first call of the day at 8am, so just the same as most jobs, its just your place of work wasn't fixed.

That's my understanding of how care assistants work.
    ohreally wrote: »
    How did that work if say home to office was 30 minutes, first job is an hour away, did you leave home at the same time or half hour earlier?

You don't have an office to travel to in the first place, so can't do that sum.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am mobile worker with no office and my work day starts as soon as I leave the house and finishes when I get home.
  • nicechap
    comeandgo wrote: »
    I am mobile worker with no office and my work day starts as soon as I leave the house and finishes when I get home.

How many hours a week do you work? Are you a salaried employee? Or a contractor? Or self employed? Who pays for your fuel?
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Leemufc
    Leemufc Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I work 37 hours a week and on salary, the company I work for pays for the fuel for the company van
  • nicechap
    Leemufc wrote: »
    I work 37 hours a week and on salary, the company I work for pays for the fuel for the company van

But are you employed the same way, and by the same organisation as comeandgo? Whom I was asking the questions of, or are you an AE?

comeandgo wrote: »
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure