IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

NI SmartParking - Do I Appeal Or Not?

OK so I am new on here as I am seeking some advice. I have read through the stuff and am in two minds as to what my next step should be.

My finance and I were in a car park in Bangor Northern Ireland a few weeks back. We put money in the machine, entered in the correct reg and paid the parking. We put the ticket on the dash (not sure if it was needed but did anyway) and went on our business. We were back well within the time stated on the ticket for expiry. A few weeks past and a smart parking letter arrives with pics of the car, entry and exit points saying that we didnt pay for parking. Luckily after a search in the car I found the paid parking receipt. The times on the receipt and the reg are all fine. The time that the smart parking letter states we were in breach off we had in fact paid this parking.

I see a lot of people on here saying about ignoring tickets they are not enforceable in NI however should the same thing be said when receiving a ticket for something that has genuinely been paid? Should I appeal this or contact the consumer council regarding it?

Thanks

Comments

• AltheHibby
    AltheHibby Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Always ignore us the advice in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Keep the letters an don't let thge increasing threats worry you. If they do worry you, come back here for reassurance.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AltheHibby is right.

Ignore everything - including any attempt to extract the driver's identity from you.

There is a section in post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread devoted to incidents in Northern Ireland and Scotland.
  • Thanks - yes i seen that but i was more confused by the fact the ticket has been issued incorrectly anyway as i have clear evidence that the parking was paid for i still have the ticket from the time it was paid. So do you still just ignore this and keep the tickets and letters?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks - yes i seen that but i was more confused by the fact the ticket has been issued incorrectly anyway as i have clear evidence that the parking was paid for i still have the ticket from the time it was paid. So do you still just ignore this and keep the tickets and letters?
    Yes, ignore everything.
    File every piece of paper just in case they are daft enough to try court.

These are not reasonable people. Their only concern is to extract money from you.

In case you missed it... ignore everything. :D
  • Haha no problem - thanks for the info:)
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thanks - yes i seen that but i was more confused by the fact the ticket has been issued incorrectly anyway as i have clear evidence that the parking was paid for i still have the ticket from the time it was paid. So do you still just ignore this and keep the tickets and letters?

I suspect that the P&D ticket machine required the input of your VRM which you might have failed to spot the requirement, or there might have been a digit of the VRM incorrectly typed - like, 'O' instead of a 'zero' (or vice versa) or an 'I' instead of a '1' etc. The VRM input and the ANPR records are matched, and in the case of any not doing so, the registered keeper is sent a NtK.

None of it really makes any difference to the way in which you deal with this - as advised in earlier posts above.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    But keep the proof for 5 years in case Smart decide to try a small claim in Scotland, which they sometimes do.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    But keep the proof for 5 years in case Smart decide to try a small claim in Scotland, which they sometimes do.

This is a Northern Ireland case, CM.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    I suspect that the P&D ticket machine required the input of your VRM which you might have failed to spot the requirement, or there might have been a digit of the VRM incorrectly typed - like, 'O' instead of a 'zero' (or vice versa) or an 'I' instead of a '1' etc. The VRM input and the ANPR records are matched, and in the case of any not doing so, the registered keeper is sent a NtK.

From the OP
    Luckily after a search in the car I found the paid parking receipt. The times on the receipt and the reg are all fine. The time that the smart parking letter states we were in breach off we had in fact paid this parking.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    This is a Northern Ireland case, CM.

Ooh, that'll teach me to skim read! No chance of a small claim then.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure