NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER

Options

Comments

• mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Welcome one and all, numbers have been assigned.

Trying very hard to stay calm and positive. Had a letter to say my claim for carer's allowance has been turned down because'you are in full time education'. Grr!

NO I am not. I was in full time education between 2005 and 2007. I wrote a long letter stating all the reasons I could not continue as the stupid form they sent me was not applicable. Can't do anything until tomorrow so trying to get on with other things .

I have beef, half a chicken and a lump of gammon in the oven, with sausages and 2 beefburgers on a separate tray. They will all take up less space in the freezer portioned up (may eat burgers for dinner). Meanwhile will have a bath and eat bananas.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just popping in to wish you all a successful and happy October. Will post my goals when I get back on the 7th (I find using the tablet a bit difficult. Prefer my laptop). Meanwhile, I'm sitting here looking at the sea making notes and plans in my little notebook 😊 Have a good Sunday.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Dottydaisy
    Options
    Please can I join? Used to follow Kat, but rather fell by the wayside. Have moved to a bungalow to prepare for getting older (I am 71 now), but costs have been more than equity realised. Must get down to keeping to a proper budget and get rid of this debt. Using YNAB again and I went over budget in September. Will update everything later today.
    NSD 1/3,
    My mantra is After I ....I will. eg After I make my morning coffee, I will take my medication. Eventually this will become a habit,
  • Jellybean88
    Options
    Hey!!

My budget is

Food-£200
    Petrol-60
    Beauty appt - £15
    Half term - £50 going to try and do free days out :) lots of walks and baking.

Some goals for this month -
    -Sort out my Xmas stash, I've done most of my shopping over the year, just need to sit down and work out hampers for people.
    -Use toiletries I have at home (I swear I could open up my own £1 with the amount I have ��)
    -Declutter my cupboards in my hallway

Day 1/31

I've been working today, so I haven't spent anything so far. My bf has two friends coming down from Newcastle today. So I think the plan is to go out for dinner. Which hopefully my bf will pay for. :).
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    EE comes screeching in having missed the last few weeks of the month..............................

Just replying quickly to say 'Please sign me up mothernerd'

I haven't read the rules but I know they will be fine, I appear to have forgotten September has 30 days and didn't think October was here yet.

Am frantically reading the rest of Septembers thread and then I will be back.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 4 October 2017 at 9:24AM
    Options
    Organise/ Cook from Scratch/ Use things up - Dinner from freezer with hm mash & veggies from fridge which need using up. Have made flapjack bars for lunchboxes (used up a ration pack of apple & cinnamon muesli with milk powder in, ration pack cranberries and the last of a bottle of golden syrup and the bottle of maple syrup), soft rolls for lunchboxes and fridge cake for after school (used up most of the free Kr@ve cereal)

Budgets
    * Food - 28.44/ 325 (stretch 290) - top uo shop in Tesc0 today and also scored some YS bits :T
    * Fuel 0/60
    * Clothes 0/75
    * Gifts 5.50/150
    * Toiletries 0/10
    * Social 0/200 (stretch 150)

NSD - 0/12

Improvise - loose 'recipes' to make flapjack & fridge cake to use random items up

Exercise
    * Week 1 - 1/4 - edited to add OH and I nipped out for a 20min walk , so can tick that off :)

Jan Goals - "By the end of the year I want to have halved the (non mtge) debt we have and have lost 20lbs - and also get fitter along the way" Have halved non mtge debt which we had at start of year - although new fridge freezer and shower have gone on 0% CC last month. Weight and fitness have definitely been abandoned - so I re-weigh myself tomorrow....

Extra income - 200 points in YouG0v surveys today

Christmas - one small gift bought today as part of my mum's present.

Get Ready Checklist
    1 - Health - vitamins taken today 1/31
    Bought more (own brand) vitamins for smalls (3 for 2 in Tesc0) as they only have a week's worth left.
    4 - Maintenance - need to contact plasterer & electrician by 10/10. (Have mentioned it to electrician's wife - mum at school - but need to do it properly) OH has messaged plumber we used for bathrooms before - fingers crossed he still has the same email.....
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    I just looked at my goals for 2017, set in February

I have 13 goals

7 personal
    3 career
    3 relationships

I have achieved 4, 3 are a working progress, 5 are yet to start and 1 I have abandoned. Interesting to look at and revisit. I will pay more attention to these over the next 3 months
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ninja Savings Turtles ORGANISE OCTOBER

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Just finished everything. Lots to use up.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

Everything budgeted. My indulgent September is now over. I will make every penny squeak

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

Definitely a necessity where we live. I will look at it and action next weekend

ALWAYS Be Kind

I try

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

I will aim for 15. As I use YNAB, everything has its own budget (Except FAT of course) so the regular stuff is easily accounted for.

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).

I always sub ingredients. I am incapable of following a recipe!

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.

Thankfully in no need of STOPTOBER except in the binge eating field. I’ll work on that.

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

I MUST get back to this. September was horrible and it shows both mentally and physically. Went bouldering today so that is a start

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months.

I need to revisit my goals. It’s not going to happen tonight. Again, probably next weekend

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    But let us think about cutting back.

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas
    If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

Lots of presents already stashed. I need to check cards, and make a list. DH is working both Chrismas and Hogmanay so we won't be doing much.

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

I have a budget for ‘out with friends’ to encourage me out of my hermit cell. Otherwise I don’t make the effort to see people.

EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

I have LOADS of clothes to E-bay. Anyone need a Drysuit?

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Can’t promise daily, but will definitely make an effort more this month.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Shelbi
    Shelbi Posts: 744 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Happy Sunday guys..

I didn't set my goals yesterday so I will do it now..

I'm going to set myself for 15 nsd's..

Organise- I'll be honest I'm not much of a cook In fact OH does most of the cooking in our home..however I will make more of an effort ...Looking through the cupboards I think we should only need one more restock.
    I preordered shopping for tomorrow so wont need another boost in 2 weeks..will try to live from cupboards/freezer for this month.. so top ups will be essentials only.

Budget has been set- Food budget is £62.38, going out £50, birthdays etc- £28, beauty £5 clothes- £40 and petrol £20.
    - will try to save 10% of this this month to put towards my debt.

As I was paid last week, all my bills are paid so this month will be trying top batton down the hatches and live off what Ive got left..hopefully have some at the end of the month through this challenge ill have some more to send to my debts.

Get Ready for Winter- Going to recycle my winter coat and scarf & gloves set... Will don a hoodie and socks and steal OH thermals to try and not turn on the heating when home.

IMPROVISE- will try my best- this will be interesting.

STOPTOBER- going to take the plunge and try to quit smoking this month- please pray for me lol!

EXERCISE- will do the 20mins 3 times a week...will be nice!

ONE MORE TIME - My goal for the next 3 months will be to pay off my Loan and stick with this get out of debt plan... also check into MSE every day to stay on track and save money where possible.

Christmas- Ive done nothing on this so far and I havent even thought about it..I do know it will be at mums so thats at least 10 prezzies I need to cater for...will be back later with a plan :/

Banned- this month ill do my best not to spend on Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, etc.

EXTRA INCOME- I dont get overtime but will try to get some extra funds from quidco and swag bucks.

I think thats it from me...sorry for long post.

Sx
    DFD-01.03.2018:starmod: :beer::T
    Maternity Savings- £2000/£10,000
    Emergency Fund- £1,000/£5,000
    House Deposit- £0/£25,000.
    NSD November 2/30
    Make £5 per day- £128.48/£155
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,282 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Day 1 - Off to a good start with NSD 1/15, made a list of everything in freezer and a meal plan revolving around it for the next 3 days, used up some pasta, half a carton of passata and some olives to make a tuna pasta bake :) My Stoptober goal is to only drink wine at the weekend, although no plans to start this until I come back from holibobs - sun lounger, glass of vino, happy days. 3 days to go and we're off to Lanzarote for a week, then I'll be back on it again, promise :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport