Has your overdraft been cancelled?

Comments

• judy2357
    judy2357 Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Lloyds have reduced mine from £1000 to £700 because they said I wasnt using it, but as I run my account well and keep within the limit what harm was it doing just being there and not used. Meanwhile my son has two accounts with two overdrafts if £1000 each and frequently exceeds his limit but hasnt had his reduced:confused:
    2008£3002009£13002010£15002011£41952012£21942013£1494
    2014£24402015£10222016JAN£20FEB£210MAR£80APR£26tMAYWillowPouchBag£65BathPillowCrCardcover,Curry
    JUN£10m'shakeJULpennywellAUGCameraFootproducts£27SEPMiniBBQOCTB'let£45Jarm£4Jacket£80GoodyBag£40NOVmealfor2Ace,ScarfTotes£100DECChocs,AsterixDVD,DVD&bk

• Yes I have had my overdraft facility withdrawn, without notice, and the Halifax also tried to charge me! I had an overdraft facility of £3000 for about two years, and was heavily into it, by about £2,500, but then managed to get myself into the black. I then requested the Halifax to reduce my overdraft to, say, £1000 so that I wasn't tempted to get so much into debt again. To my amazement, they refused! I thought this was a mistake, and on checking my bank account, I found they had in fact withdrawn my overdraft completely! And because I had slipped over by £11, they were going to charge me. I am currently in the process of complaining. Needless to say, I have now moved banks, and my new bank has given me an overdraft facility of £300, which I am very happy with.
  • Devonman
    Devonman Posts: 9 Forumite
    I've posted this elsewhere on this site, but it won't let me post a link to it as I'm a new member, but this is what Lloyds TSB did to me. They took away my overdraft when I was out of the country on holiday!!! I had an Agreed Overdraft Facility with Lloyds for £3400 and I was £3200 into this amount.

Whilst I was out of the country on holiday Lloyds sent me a letter to say that they are taking away my planned overdraft facility in 7 days as I hadn't paid anything into my account for a period of time. This letter was dated the 29th January, the day I left Devon to go to London before the flight to Sri Lanka. I had previously contacted my Credit Card company (Lloyds TSB Mastercard) to let them know I'd be out of the country and NOT to cancel my Credit Card.

I returned from holiday around the 27th February to find letters etc telling me to immediately repay my overdraft as they had taken this facility away (and obviously added loads of charges, about £300). I immediately visited my local branch where they said these charges were indeed unfair, but they don't have the authority to cancel the charges. They took photocopies of all my letters and my credit card statement which proved I was in Sri Lanka on the days many of the letters were sent to me. These copies were then sent to Brighton, and then to Birmingham!!

It was at this time I thought I'd pay all my overdraft off (£3219) and put the account back to £0. I did this as a show of good faith as I understand I owed the money to Lloyds but I wasn't willing to pay the charges I incurred by them sending me a letter which I wasn't able to reaction on to due to my holiday. The charges are about £300 and to put it bluntly, I'm !!!!!!ed if they're going to get the money out of me.

I've just received a letter from Birmingham to say that my complaint has been turned down because (and I quote):

"I have looked into your concerns and I see that letters were sent prior to your trip to advise you that no substantial credit had been received into your account for a period of time. I can also see that you have also incurred Unplanned Overdraft charges in the past due to the balance of your account exceeding your agreed limit.

Unfortunately this activity prompted us to remove your Planned Overdraft entirely, which is covered in the original term of your account.

I appreciate that you say you were abroad and unaware of this action until you returned, however I cannot see that we were made aware of you being overseas. It remains the customers responsibility to ensure that the account is kept within any agreed limit."

Now, my Planned Overdraft limit was due to be reviewed on the 11th April 2009 so I didn't think they had any reason to alter this limit during the time I was away as I'd received nothing in writing prior to leaving the UK. The reason they give is that no "sustantial amont had been received into your account" and that I didn't make them aware that I was out of the country. I admit to not making any substantial deposits into the account but as I wasn't sent any letters to tell me I had to do so I was blissfully unaware of any problems. I let my Lloyds TSB Credit card company know I was out of the country but I was unaware I had to make my bank know I was out of the country.

Also, what difference does it make if I've incurred charges in the past? They make too much money out of me as it is and this problem will lead me into claiming back the charges for the past 6 years if I'm lucky.

Obviously the charges incurred while I was on holiday I feel are unfair and I'm not going to pay them. The ladies at my local Lloyds branch have been great and have told me to fight them as it's not fair. My next step is to speak to the chap who made this desision and tell him that I want to continue with this complaint and I'll be getting in contact with the Financial Ombudsman.

I realise I've waffled on a bit here, but if anyone has any hints or tips please let me know (if you haven't fallen asleep by my vague ramblings!!).

Cheers in advance
    Jon

My charges are now at £450 (ish) and rising. I've written to them about 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on a reply. They're absolutely hopeless and I'm going to have great pleasure in reclaiming all of the unfair charges from the past 7 years.
  • oliviameg
    oliviameg Posts: 13 Forumite
    I have a £150 overdraft with HSBC. Over the last six months with the astronomical rising of energy bills, I have gone over my overdraft by approximately £50. I asked them to increase my overdraft by £50 but was told although I passed criteria in the present economic climate they would not increase it possibly due ot the fact that I am a money making machine for them. They have been charging me approximately £75 per month over the last couple of months in penalty charges. These penalty charges are withdrawn the day before payday making me have to pay more charges the following month. It is a treadmill I can't seem to get off.
  • LRW1975
    LRW1975 Posts: 9 Forumite
    After 15 years of being an RBS customer, 4 of them actually working for them, i have been given a month to find £850 as my overdraft is being removed on the 29th May.

I have had an overdraft since opening the account and only really dipped into it for a week or so every month in the week before payday.

Two months ago, we needed some urgent plumbing work done so used the overdraft to pay for the work, with the intention of paying this back to the account by £250 per month.

My limit previously had an expiry date of November 2009 so i assumed we had plenty of time.

I'm now in a state of panic as the 29th is my payday and i only earn about £800 per month and the lot will be wiped out when the limit is removed.

None of my bills will get paid this month and all i have been told by RBS is that my account will be referred to their Personal Account Centre if i don't have enough in my account when the limit goes.

I was actually sick after putting the phone down to my branch and am disgusted at how i have been treated. How many people these days can get their hands on that sort of money in a month :(
  • LRW1975
    LRW1975 Posts: 9 Forumite
    LRW1975 wrote: »
    After 15 years of being an RBS customer, 4 of them actually working for them, i have been given a month to find £850 as my overdraft is being removed on the 29th May.

I have had an overdraft since opening the account and only really dipped into it for a week or so every month in the week before payday.

Two months ago, we needed some urgent plumbing work done so used the overdraft to pay for the work, with the intention of paying this back to the account by £250 per month.

My limit previously had an expiry date of November 2009 so i assumed we had plenty of time.

I'm now in a state of panic as the 29th is my payday and i only earn about £800 per month and the lot will be wiped out when the limit is removed.

None of my bills will get paid this month and all i have been told by RBS is that my account will be referred to their Personal Account Centre if i don't have enough in my account when the limit goes.

I was actually sick after putting the phone down to my branch and am disgusted at how i have been treated. How many people these days can get their hands on that sort of money in a month :(

Current account provider: RBS
    Overdraft limit before change: £850
    Overdraft balance at time: -£812
    New overdraft limit after change: £0
    Whether this happened at an official overdraft review: No - limit was due for review November 2009
    Any charges: Limit to be removed 29th May

Whether you were notified: One months notice given. I requested two months to allow me to save up the money but this was refused
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    MSE_Guy wrote: »
    We're hearing worrying stories of banks closing people's overdrafts, while they're overdrawn, without warning and sometimes adding charges because they're then in the red.

We want to know how widespread this is, so please report your story if it's happened to you.

Please include:
    • Current account provider
    • Overdraft limit before change
    • Overdraft balance at time
    • New overdraft limit after change
    • Whether this happened at an official overdraft review
    • Any charges
    • Whether you were notified
    See our news story for more information and the news story discussion thread to debate the issue.

Hi, started a similar thread over in Credit Cards as there is a lot of this happening within the CC industry as well....

Link is here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1694063
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • Andy_Ches
    Andy_Ches Posts: 420 Forumite
    Please include:
    • Current account provider ( was halifax)
    • Overdraft limit before change (£2,500)
    • Overdraft balance at time (+£600)
    • New overdraft limit after change (£0)
    • Whether this happened at an official overdraft review (No)
    • Any charges (No)
    • Whether you were notified (No)
  • this happened to us last week,

halifax
    limit was £2500
    balance was £2300
    new limit £1250
    official overdraft review on may9th although no letter telling us this beforehand or after, only notification in very small print on statement.
    now incurred £170 of charges for paid direct debit and going over limit

seems to be happening a lot.:mad:
  • kimig
    kimig Posts: 20 Forumite
    I had an overdraft of £4000 which was maxed out. It was with Natwest when they without any warning whatsoever cancelled it. My salary went in and I was left with nothing. I went in to see my branch manager and I was put through to the debt management department.

I was forced to take out a loan of £4000 at a staggering 22% interest rate as I had no money to pay my household bills and other expenses and they refused to re-instate my overdraft.

This happend to me back in March and thanfkully now after coming clean to my partner I am in a position where i can pay off that loan (my partner has taken out a new loan at a much lower rate)

I was just wondering if I have any kind of claim here - Basically i want to go into the bank and tell them I will pay £2500 to pay off the entire loan as i feel that I have been treated unfairly? Any ideas if this will work?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback