Plusnet broadband top pick, we want your feedback

Options

Comments

• johnnyfardle
    Options
    Switched to the B/B phone and inclusive deal last month. All good, got the 50 quid cheque within days (fill out the email request). Only problem, my old supplier is still charging despite sending mails requesting 'feedback' on leaving their service. Will give it until next month to see what's going on. (I'll be 72 quid out of pocket by then)
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Only problem, my old supplier is still charging
    BT, if I remember correctly, collected a direct debit after changeoever but paid back the required a month later. If you're worried contact your previous provider.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • littlecabbage
    Options
    I have just signed up for the current Plusnet deal - previously wth BT but this deal cheaper, and Plusnet service feedback appeared to be okay.

So far, they took over the telephone line a week before they were able to book in for an engineer to visit, which they said was necessary to begin the broadband service. So I have been without internet connection for a week. I don't even use my home telephone line, so this was of no use to me.

The engineer was meant to come today, but having waited at home from 8am-1pm (the time slot booked), and with no-one turning up, I rang customer services. After 20 minutes on hold, somebody finally answered. After being passed around a couple of departments, I was informed that the line had been checked and an engineer visit was not necessary, and that if I now plugged in the new router, it should work.

I do not know if anyone would have bothered to inform me of this if I hadn't rung them, and I had been previously told not to plug in the router until the engineer had been!

So I'm not particularly impressed with the service so far, but we shall see what kind of broadband speeds etc I get now....
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Plusnet were not bad until I had issues with speed which they could not resolve, then when I terminated they did not know I had left, 3 months after changing supplier they sent me a email telling me I would be now disconnected.
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Froggy27
    Options
    Disappointed with Plusnet.. been with them for almost 20 years.. yes there were madasafish before.. always offered me good prices and discount. We had technical problems mainly speed and dropouts especially lately but eventually they deal with them. Now my contract with discount is over and the new one is 3 times the price for Broadband Only... all is can say is that they had a price increase in June...that's very steep.. so on the hunt for a better deal..
  • cairndog
    cairndog Posts: 226 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have just signed up for the current Plusnet deal - previously wth BT but this deal cheaper, and Plusnet service feedback appeared to be okay.

So far, they took over the telephone line a week before they were able to book in for an engineer to visit, which they said was necessary to begin the broadband service. So I have been without internet connection for a week. I don't even use my home telephone line, so this was of no use to me.

The engineer was meant to come today, but having waited at home from 8am-1pm (the time slot booked), and with no-one turning up, I rang customer services. After 20 minutes on hold, somebody finally answered. After being passed around a couple of departments, I was informed that the line had been checked and an engineer visit was not necessary, and that if I now plugged in the new router, it should work.

I do not know if anyone would have bothered to inform me of this if I hadn't rung them, and I had been previously told not to plug in the router until the engineer had been!

So I'm not particularly impressed with the service so far, but we shall see what kind of broadband speeds etc I get now....

Don't expect it to get any better, price isn't everything if you don't want endless hassles and weeks without a connection.

Just because they are owned by BT means nothing the speed, reliability and service does not compare in any way.

We had trouble all the time when we were with them. Now we have to bite the bullet and pay the BT price for our superfast broadband to get a stress free connection.

We are in the Kent countryside and this was always Plusnet's excuse Maybe they are better in towns and suburbs.?

Once BT put a Green Box in our area it was like magic and we have no other options here anyway.

Best of luck, hope you get on better soon,
  • grumpycrab
    Options
    Froggy27 wrote: »
    Disappointed with Plusnet.. so on the hunt for a better deal..
    BT and John-Lewis Broadband come under the same hat(sort of). So perhaps a jump back to a BT deal for 12 months?
    John Lewis Broadband is packaged as a sub-package of Plusnet; no razzmatazz as with BT but can get £50 on Quidco (other cashback services may provide more)
    https://www.quidco.com/john-lewis-broadband/

A minor warning. Had a billing issue going from PN to JL; a "robot" mysteriously changed the calls package without warning one night.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Electric97
    Options
    I signed up to Plusnet 27/11/17, previously with BT infinity 1 no problems, Plusnet much cheaper however went live 19/12/17. Guaranteed minimum of 30 Mbps now been with them 16 days speed quaranteed only received 2 days, speed has been 2.36- 24 Mbps. Wi- fi signal from router is useless, having checked line to router Plusnet state they don't quaranteed Wi- fi signal, we only have tablets, even with device next to router there is no improvement, changed channels no improvement, Plusnet will not accept speed test results from app on tablet. Phoned number in legal bits leaflet to cancel on 22/12/17, 3 days after going live, thinking as per contract I had 14 days to cancel without charge, Person on phone so, so rude wouldn't let me get a word in told the 14 day cancellation ran out 14days after sign up it's only if you don't agree with t &c. This of course is before line went live, they have since put it in writing, " This is not a try before you buy service" .if I want to leave they want £95 + NO refund on yearly line rental paid up front. It doesn't run on BT lines as such it goes on BT WHOLESALE therefore maximum speed drops from BT 52mbps to 38 Mbps. I am still trying to get out. After my experience Plusnet may be cheaper but how they get good reviews I do not know, and too late I have seen other people on their Facebook page with similar experiences. My advice don't touch Plusnet with a barge pole. Customer service and the broadband is absolute rubbish
  • ColinFishwick
    ColinFishwick Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    I dont think any ISP could guarantee wifi lots of factors at play though router. I use homeplugs to boost wifi I have several around the house

You can boost my wifi speeds you can get homeplugs that do this now

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5585575

Electric97 wrote: »
    I signed up to Plusnet 27/11/17, previously with BT infinity 1 no problems, Plusnet much cheaper however went live 19/12/17. Guaranteed minimum of 30 Mbps now been with them 16 days speed quaranteed only received 2 days, speed has been 2.36- 24 Mbps. Wi- fi signal from router is useless, having checked line to router Plusnet state they don't quaranteed Wi- fi signal, we only have tablets, even with device next to router there is no improvement, changed channels no improvement, Plusnet will not accept speed test results from app on tablet. Phoned number in legal bits leaflet to cancel on 22/12/17, 3 days after going live, thinking as per contract I had 14 days to cancel without charge, Person on phone so, so rude wouldn't let me get a word in told the 14 day cancellation ran out 14days after sign up it's only if you don't agree with t &c. This of course is before line went live, they have since put it in writing, " This is not a try before you buy service" .if I want to leave they want £95 + NO refund on yearly line rental paid up front. It doesn't run on BT lines as such it goes on BT WHOLESALE therefore maximum speed drops from BT 52mbps to 38 Mbps. I am still trying to get out. After my experience Plusnet may be cheaper but how they get good reviews I do not know, and too late I have seen other people on their Facebook page with similar experiences. My advice don't touch Plusnet with a barge pole. Customer service and the broadband is absolute rubbish
  • grumpycrab
    Options
    Electric97 wrote: »
    previously with BT infinity 1 ... Wi- fi signal from [Plusnet] router is useless,
    Re-use the BT router?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure