PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ownership of Land

Options

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great piece of detective work :T

Give them a copy and I would make a practice of parking there now and again to ram home the point.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jb201 wrote: »
    Where can I download this from please? Is this showing the part in front of the station, i.e. the part they are trying to claim?

http://planningpa.lewes.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=ZZZZ3YJDXD151

Hopefully that link works, if not search for the planning application reference number and then select the 'Documents' tab.

It seems best to download and save the PDF rather than trying to use the online viewer.

Bear in mind this doesn't prove the owner of the pumping station owns the land, it just shows there is a need for the PS owner to be able to access the pumping station for maintenance - for example if they needed to use a crane to lift equipment in and out. If the land is in private ownership that would make it difficult to carry out work, especially in an emergency.

Also, it looks like there is a manhole on the land in question. People parking on top of this might mean the water company cannot access whatever is under the manhole cover if there was an emergency - so would be good grounds for the 'parking space' to become 'authorised vehicles only'.

And finally, I would expect the area between the bricked paved area and the claimant's property to be a public right of way (if not established then by historic use), so even if they could claim the bricked paved area as theirs then they might have problems incorporating it into their curtilage. (the plan suggests it is constructed as a cycleway?)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry that link didn't work.

It must be unregistered though as the council are saying if I do not reply by 8th December the land will become theirs.
    Link corrected above, and here.

Makes no sense - the council do not control land ownership - the Land Registry does.
  • jb201
    jb201 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Link corrected above, and here.

Makes no sense - the council do not control land ownership - the Land Registry does.

Sorry I meant Land Registry

I still cannot search though.

I am going here right? http://planningpa.lewes.gov.uk/online-applications/

and then where am I entering LW/85/1785 ?

Again thank you for your help.
  • tlc678910
    Options
    Hi,
    In your reply to dispute the possession claim it must be worth mentioning that your guest used the space (within the two years you have lived there) and was told that the neighbours owned it, and stating if you had been aware that the neighbours did not own it you and your guests would use it regularly.

Would your guest that parked there be willing to submit a statement verifying this occurred? It doesn't seem right the neighbours get sole use by lying about the ownership.

Looks like an overspill space for anyone and their visitors to me.

Tlc
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am going here right? http://planningpa.lewes.gov.uk/online-applications/

and then where am I entering LW/85/1785 ?

Yes, then enter the ref no in the box marked -

"Enter a keyword, reference number, postcode or single line of an address."

That should bring up two results - the outline application which is the one with the plan and has that application reference number, and secondly an approval of reserved matters application which has a different reference (LW/86/0209), but refers back to the outline application.

The reserved matters application (LW/86/0209) is the one for which the documents cannot be viewed online. Ideally you need to get hold of these as well. If you are very lucky the council might email them to you, but I would phone the number 01273 484420 given on the site to ask.

Davesnave mentioned the signs that appear to have been put up on the fence. I can't see the detail on your picture, but are these put up by the neighbour, or are they something to do with the pumping station? Emergency contact details for example?

You should really make sure the owners of the pumping station are aware of what is going on and get them to object as well. If it is the local water company then I'd contact them.

Ideally, rather than speaking to the water company property department (whose job usually is to make money by disposing of land ;)) you need to get hold of the operations department who will be held responsible if the pumping station fails and they are unable to repair it quickly due to obstruction or non-ownership of the access. The payout/fine in event of flooding or discharge into a watercourse is substantial, so operation departments tend to be more concerned about this kind of thing.

If the notice on the fence has an "In case of emergency" contact number I'd be tempted to phone this as the easiest way to get through to the right people. It is a bit cheeky, but sometimes is the most effective way of making contact with the people who know what they are talking about. Needless to say, if the number given is "999" don't call that one ;)

If a pumping station breaks down and cannot be repaired quickly the usual response is to bring in a tanker to empty the contents of the pumping station and to stop it overflowing. It follows that if access in an emergency is not possible then the risk of a pollution event is much higher. There are powers for vehicles to be removed if they are blocking emergency access to manholes on the public highway, but as far as I know the same powers are not available in relation to private land (unless specified in an easement or similar).

As it appears your house and garden is at a lower level than the top of pumping station then you have a personal, not just 'civic' interest in ensuring emergency maintenance access is maintained. I would include this point in your own objection, even if you cannot get the water company interested.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • cjmillsnun
    Options
    That piece of land (if owned by anybody) would be by Southern Water or the developer (to become the council when it is finally adopted). If the neighbour wants to claim it, they will probably find they need to leave it clear as there will be an easement over it.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • jb201
    jb201 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Davesnave mentioned the signs that appear to have been put up on the fence. I can't see the detail on your picture, but are these put up by the neighbour, or are they something to do with the pumping station? Emergency contact details for example?

Nope this sign is telling people not to park there. This was only put up recently by number 6 when a guest of mine parked there one night and they knocked on my door asking me to move the car as it is their land! Which was clearly a lie.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nope this sign is telling people not to park there. This was only put up recently by number 6 when a guest of mine parked there one night and they knocked on my door asking me to move the car as it is their land! Which was clearly a lie.
    Hope you politely reasssured them that the car would be moved as soon as the guest was ready to leave?

And that you subsequently ignored the sign?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options

Funnily enough - the sign would mysteriously "get lost" if that happened to me in your circumstances. :rotfl:Yep...I can think of a few signs or unofficial amendments to signs round me here that have equally mysteriously got lost.;):D

I havent been challenged to date on any of it - even the ones I admitted to...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure