IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Paid for parking, still got a ticket from NCP!! Luton

Right, here goes. My partner parked in an NCP car park in Luton 4 weekends ago, where she parks 6 saturdays of the year. She pulled up at the entrance, lady gave her a ticket and asked her to park along the rear wall. My partner done her bits (visited hairdressers) and returned to her car, drove to the window, slowed, gave her the ticket and paid the monies asked, she thinks £4.80. She didnt ask for a reciept as she doesnt claim it back or anything.

Its a very crude car park, gravel on a bit of waste ground, just off the main road opposite an old delerict nightclub

Now, 4 weeks later we've recieved a fine from NCP for 'parking without payment of the parking charge'. :mad::mad:

Its a £100 fine, reduced to £60 if paid in 14 days. What can we do please??? :mad:

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread and appeal it

in future, GET A RECEIPT and keep it for a minimum of 3 months

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2017/05/30/throwing-pay-display-ticket-away-use-cost-100/
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I think 'NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST' is in invisible ink today...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • gendarme
    gendarme Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 30 September 2017 at 2:47PM
    britishboy wrote: »
    Right, here goes. My partner parked in an NCP car park in Luton 4 weekends ago, where she parks 6 saturdays of the year. She pulled up at the entrance, lady gave her a ticket and asked her to park along the rear wall. My partner done her bits (visited hairdressers) and returned to her car, drove to the window, slowed, gave her the ticket and paid the monies asked, she thinks £4.80. She didnt ask for a reciept as she doesnt claim it back or anything.

Its a very crude car park, gravel on a bit of waste ground, just off the main road opposite an old delerict nightclub

Now, 4 weeks later we've recieved a fine from NCP for 'parking without payment of the parking charge'. :mad::mad:

Its a £100 fine, reduced to £60 if paid in 14 days. What can we do please??? :mad:

That sounds like the car park in Dunstable Place. If so, it's always manned so getting out without paying is virtually impossible unless doing so whilst the attendant was at the loo.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    gendarme wrote: »
    That sounds like the car park in Dunstable Place. If so, it's always manned so getting out without paying is virtually impossible unless doing so whilst the attendant was at the loo.

Hi
    It was my partner driving, it was Dunstable Place, she parks there every 2 months as it's close to a salon she goes to there. Do you think we have much chance if we appeal it?

Am thinking of asking how many other people have had the same happen there, as my gf says there is always a woman (the same one, a petite Eastern European woman maybe in her 50's)
  • Coupon-mad
    Do you think we have much chance if we appeal it?
    Nothing personal re 'gendarme', but you are asking a newbie with 4 posts to their name since 2014!

You've already had advice from myself and another regular, Redx. You will likely win at POPLA, no idea on earth why you are in doubt as to having a 'chance' if you appeal AS KEEPER NOT DRIVER.

Have you not yet read the NEWBIES thread and sussed how to appeal, and when?
  • longwalks1
    Sorry Coupon-Mad, I only asked gendarme as they knew of the car park, so i assumed/hoped they'd had similar experience and may of appealed one too

Have read the FAQ for newbies and its been a massive help, am just adding the final touches to my letter. Obviously we do not have any evidence (reciept or ticket), is it worth descriving the parking attendant in the letter?
    Also, my partner has been told shortly after her parking charge, the car park introduced the 'enter your registration' pay and display machines
  • Coupon-mad
    Yes, since it sounds like the attendant might have/allegedly pocketed the money(?!) describe the lady and how much was paid, to the best of the recollection of the occupants of the car.

Don't say 'I'.

Just a vague 'the occupants of the car can recall the event and there was no contravention because they...blah blah'.

Make sure the registered keeper (recipient of the letter) is the person appealing.

Was there never a windscreen PCN? Does the letter (4 weeks later) suggest there was?
  • longwalks1
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Yes, since it sounds like the attendant might have/allegedly pocketed the money(?!) describe the lady and how much was paid, to the best of the recollection of the occupants of the car.
    Ok thanks, the owner of the Salon is prepared to back up my partners story if needed too, as she remembers the day as the attendant actually told the salon owner "your client is already at your shop, she just parked"
    Don't say 'I'.
    Ok, thanks for reminder
    Just a vague 'the occupants of the car can recall the event and there was no contravention because they...blah blah'.
    Yup
    Make sure the registered keeper (recipient of the letter) is the person appealing.
    It will be, its me
    Was there never a windscreen PCN? Does the letter (4 weeks later) suggest there was?
    No windscreen PCN at all, just a letter dated 27/09/17, for alleged offence on 02/09/17. They have 2 x CCTV pics of my number plate entering and leaving at the correct times
    Please see above in red
  • Coupon-mad
    Ok thanks, the owner of the Salon is prepared to back up my partners story if needed too, as she remembers the day as the attendant actually told the salon owner "your client is already at your shop, she just parked"
    Great, this could be included at POPLA stage if the salon owner is happy to sign and date a statement on headed notepaper confirming that.

No windscreen PCN at all, just a letter dated 27/09/17, for alleged offence on 02/09/17. They have 2 x CCTV pics of my number plate entering and leaving at the correct times
    Even better - you can't lose at POPLA, as a keeper who wasn't driving, who has received a non-POFA NTK more than 14 days after the event!
  • longwalks1
    Thanks so much Coupon Mad, you are a life saver! Should i state that last bit in the letter, about recieving it more than 14 days after the event?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure