Been sold a dud car!

Comments

• First fault was the particle sensor, which my son got repaired. He was driving the car and it went into limp mode.

It was brought from a registered garage, and cost £3,995. It came with an AA Waranty, but when he rang them, they said they were only a mediator service. The garage refused to answer their questions, and the AA have withdrawn their warranty from the garage (although he is still advertising it on his website)

It says in the service book it was a full service, cambelt was changed and the water pump.

The garage the car was taken to when the engine seized said that it was a camchain, not a cambelt, and the oil was full, so that hadn't caused the engine to seize.

I thought it was down to the garage to proove the fault wasn't there when they sold it to him, rather than my son having to proove it was?

Thanks for the answers
    Tracey x
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    £70 is just going to be plugging it into the diagnostics and forcing a regeneration, then. If he'd been using it for longer journeys, it would have done that itself.

£4k is not going to be in the first flush of youth - but you seem strangely shy of giving any information about type of car/age/mileage.

All we know so far about this "seizure" is that there's plenty of oil, and the camchain's not let go. That's it?

His consumer rights say that faults are deemed to be present at the time of sale, unless the garage can show they weren't. He was driving around for three months before the engine seized, so it's not hard to show that it wasn't seized at the time of sale. Also - there's further tempering for reasonable expectations of goods of that age/price/apparent quality. We're dealing with a relatively inexpensive used car of unknown age... Not right at the bargain-bucket end of the market, but not exactly a near-new manufacturer approved-used.
  • Hi, it is a Vauxhall Insignia diesel, 2009 plate, and the milage is 76000 miles (roughly). I'm not holding back info on purpose, I just don't know much about cars myself, and have to keep ringing my son to ask the info!!! He's not on this site, so I'm trying to answer questions as people ask them so that I can help him sort this out (as mum's do!) :D

If there is nothing we can do, then we'll just have to take it on the chin, but if legally there is something that can be done to help him sort this out, then I don't want to mess it up for him.
  • sevenhills wrote: »
    Not always a good idea to post on a forum for someone elese when you cannot give all the details.
    If it has an AA a warranty, what are they saying?

They have said that they are only a mediator service, and the owner of the garage is refusing to co-operate with them, so they are going to withdraw their warranty service for the garage.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »

His consumer rights say that faults are deemed to be present at the time of sale, unless the garage can show they weren't. He was driving around for three months before the engine seized, so it's not hard to show that it wasn't seized at the time of sale. Also - there's further tempering for reasonable expectations of goods of that age/price/apparent quality. We're dealing with a relatively inexpensive used car of unknown age... Not right at the bargain-bucket end of the market, but not exactly a near-new manufacturer approved-used.

This would be my view also. The seller could easily show the fault was not present at the time of sale as the buyer drove about in it for 3 months before it failed.

9 year old car, 76K miles, fault not present at the time of sale....?

BUT if the car has an AA warranty (has it?) then they should be covering circumstances like this - or is it that the car was "AA approved"?
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    They have said that they are only a mediator service, and the owner of the garage is refusing to co-operate with them, so they are going to withdraw their warranty service for the garage.

If the car was purchased when this was in place?

What are the promises? The dealer will......
    • Provide a minimum of 6 months MOT on all vehicles
    • Offer a road test to ensure the vehicle meets your requirements
    • Hand over all essential documents including V5 registration document, MOT certificate and any available service records
    • Provide a free history check on every vehicle
    • Welcome any vehicle inspection by us or any other independent third party, prior to purchase
    • Professionally prepare and hand over the vehicle in a good condition
    • Be audited by us once a year to ensure compliance with this Dealer Promise
    • Enable you to escalate issues to us and we will mediate between you and the Dealer
    • The Dealer will honour their obligations under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to protect your purchase
    • All vehicles advertised on aacars.com come with 12 months free breakdown cover, make sure you get covered
    • https://www.theaa.com/cars/dealer-promise
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    BUT if the car has an AA warranty (has it?) then they should be covering circumstances like this - or is it that the car was "AA approved"?
    One month warranty, DPF cropped up just outside that, "seizure" happened another two months down the line (three from purchase)
  • LiGhTfasT
    LiGhTfasT Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Common fault on the insignia, a bit of research before purchasing and you'd soon see you'd be mad to buy one. Its to do with a oil pickup seal failing usually along with "low oil pressure - stop engine" on the display.

If you catch it early sometimes you can be lucky and get it fixed but it seems to be a matter of when not if with that car, just look how many have seized engines for sale spare or repairs.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    sevenhills wrote: »
    If the car was purchased when this was in place?

What are the promises? The dealer will......
    • Provide a minimum of 6 months MOT on all vehicles
    • Offer a road test to ensure the vehicle meets your requirements
    • Hand over all essential documents including V5 registration document, MOT certificate and any available service records
    • Provide a free history check on every vehicle
    • Welcome any vehicle inspection by us or any other independent third party, prior to purchase
    • Professionally prepare and hand over the vehicle in a good condition
    • Be audited by us once a year to ensure compliance with this Dealer Promise
    • Enable you to escalate issues to us and we will mediate between you and the Dealer
    • The Dealer will honour their obligations under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to protect your purchase
    • All vehicles advertised on aacars.com come with 12 months free breakdown cover, make sure you get covered
    • https://www.theaa.com/cars/dealer-promise

Which is a load of vague pointless horse !!!! to be honest.
  • Be careful on this forum. Many of the people here think that if it's even just 1 plate old (so in this case an 18 plate) or if it's done more than 10 miles then it's just old & battered and if there's any faults with it then you should expect them ... all of them.

And they're all your fault too, supposedly.

There are however some members here who live in the real world. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure