Disabled bathroom

Hi,

Just looking for bathroom furniture for a disabled bathroom and want to pick the forum’s hive brain! Looking for a shower tray 1 m x 1.7 m, 20 square metres of tiles, non slip flooring, a basin which fits into a faux cupboard above the stair slope, a compact raised toilet. Are there any outlets and products that people could recommend. I will of course be consulting the builder but would like an idea of the products and prices out there!

Season’s greetings!

Comments

• littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,497 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Can't recommend any particular suppliers but if you're not already aware, check if the work qualifies for VAT exemption. We installed an accessible bathroom for our daughter and it was VAT exempt, which is very money saving!
  • Yes, thanks for that. I believe if the item is specifically for disability it is VAT exempt. Does non slip flooring fall into this category?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    will this require wheelchair access?

I would not be able to make a basin over our stairs slope accessible.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Depending on what the disability is(?) you may qualify for advice, assistance and funding from one of the many charities. I volunteer for the MS Society :-)
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    Also depending on disability, you may be able to get referred to an OT. That is what I did. The OT that came to see me was very knowledgeable and helped immensely.
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Impey wetrooms
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Contact the council's Social services. They will send some around, was free of charge 10 years ago, to make assessment and make recommendations. Yo need not be a council tenant to have this done.

This was done for my mum, and I was very impressed with their services and recommendations.
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As mentioned, there is a chance of help towards the costs.

Have a look at https://www.turn2us.org.uk/ they have countless charities linked, who will maybe worth approaching.

VB
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,497 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    sasparillo wrote: »
    Yes, thanks for that. I believe if the item is specifically for disability it is VAT exempt. Does non slip flooring fall into this category?

Yes it does
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport