Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 5
    • welshman10
    • By welshman10 16th Aug 06, 10:54 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    welshman10
    The average is approx one sixth of a unit(cu mtr) per day per person.

So for 2 people 0.33 units a day, 2.3 units per week.
    So for 3 people 0.5 units a day, 3.5 units per week.
    etc etc
    by Cardew
    So we are using approximately double the average then?

This is our typical daily usage for the household

2 X shower
    2 X bath (although I sometimes just use her water )
    4 X cleaning teeth
    4 X pints drinking water
    4 X cups of tea
    2 X washing dishes (by hand)
    1 X washing machine load (3-5 loads per week say)
    1 X pint glass for watering plants
    4 X toilet flushes

That's all I can think of. Is that really double an average household's usage?
  • Art
    So we are using approximately double the average then?

This is our typical daily usage for the household

2 X shower
    2 X bath (although I sometimes just use her water )
    4 X cleaning teeth
    4 X pints drinking water
    4 X cups of tea
    2 X washing dishes (by hand)
    1 X washing machine load (3-5 loads per week say)
    1 X pint glass for watering plants
    4 X toilet flushes

That's all I can think of. Is that really double an average household's usage?
    by welshman10

If you contact you water company they will send to a guide to enable you to work out your usage. This is a very reliable figure and will tell you if you will save money by installing a metr.

Regards,
    Art.

• welshman10
    • By welshman10 17th Aug 06, 5:44 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    welshman10
    If you contact you water company they will send to a guide to enable you to work out your usage. This is a very reliable figure and will tell you if you will save money by installing a metr.

Regards,
    Art.
    by Art
    You misunderstand. I already have a meter installed as my house is about 3 years old.

I want to know if it seems there is a fault with it or something, based on the level of usage and my recent bill (see previous posts on the last page).

Cheers.
  • Art
    You misunderstand. I already have a meter installed as my house is about 3 years old.

I want to know if it seems there is a fault with it or something, based on the level of usage and my recent bill (see previous posts on the last page).

Cheers.
    by welshman10
    Sorry, I did misunderstand.

Your usage does seem high. Go to your water company and ask them to check your meter and also investigate if there are any leaks.

In a previous post I mentioned that when I had my meter fitted they connected it to the neighbours supply by mistake. Maybe there is a problem with your installation.

Regards,
    Art.

• lucyelastic1
    Don't be conned by having a water meter fitted
    In my and quite honestly most people I know's experience having a water meter fitted just means that the water companies can set a precedent in that area for all the properties to get it - which is fine if you're a single occupant but what if, like me you have a partner, kids, animals and oh god don't hate me - a swimming pool! No, I am not rich. The area where I live has an abundance of them for some unknown reason and it was here at the house when I moved in and jolly lovely it is too especially as one of my kids is disabled so really uses it all summer.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • amcluesent
    I am hoping to save big-time with a water meter. Circumstances are a bit unusual, sole occupier working away from home Mon-Fri. It looks like my metered consumption is about 3 cubic metres/month, so am going to the Anglian Water 'solo' tariff with no standing charge.
    • lisa76
    • By lisa76 2nd Oct 06, 8:54 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    lisa76
    hi, i live in south wales, so am covered by Welsh Water (Dwr Cymru). Does anyone have any experience of them and water meters. I have had a look on their website and can't find much info.
    Basically I want to know how much it is to install, and i get that 12 months to change my mind
    i'm now a single mum with a 2 year old - so she has a bath everyday (only shallow) and i have a shower (quick) every day. probably do 2 or 3 loads of washing a week
    i'm paying £52 a month at the moment on rates
    the thing is i don't want to end up stressing about how much water i'm using, like i am with elec and gas (sitting in darkness with blankets etc)
    any advice would be gratefully received
    • Gorgeous George
    • By Gorgeous George 2nd Oct 06, 9:15 PM
    • 7,797 Posts
    • 8,484 Thanks
    Gorgeous George
    Lisa

You would almost certainly save money by being on a meter. I don't think you get 12 months to change your mind - I thought that was just when you move house. Worth asking the water company though.

I'm on a meter, bath everyday, wash the cars most weeks, water the lawn occasionally and it still works out less than £400 per year.

GG
    • lisa76
    • By lisa76 2nd Oct 06, 9:22 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    lisa76
    thanks gorgeous george, i will have to look into this further i think
    • slenderkitten
    • By slenderkitten 6th Oct 06, 5:46 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    slenderkitten
    when i first moved out it was automaticaly on water rates very expensive for one person so i shifted to a meter, and it saved me loads i do cut down on how many baths i have per weeka nd just use the basic to wash myself throughly and i save alot of money with that too.

everyone will eventually go on it as they want us to be more conservative with water usage as our summers will get more drier every year just like they want pay per throw with the wheelie bins
    • kittie
    • By kittie 30th Oct 06, 5:32 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,059 Thanks
    kittie
    I`m in s wales too and received my water meter bill today. The whole cost for the year was £262 and my direct debit will be for £24 a month. It is saving me approx £150 a year

two adults. Showers only. dishwasher. Waste disposal unit which needs a good flow of water

I believe that you would save money Lisa. Free to install and you have 12 months in which you can change your mind
    • Princess kate
    • By Princess kate 5th Nov 06, 6:01 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 3,887 Thanks
    Princess kate
    Im in a flat, 1 adult, shower only, before my meter was put in i was paying £33 a month for water, put down to £17.50 after installation, after 6-8 months i think it is they will reasses your usage & put down your DD if required, I recently had mine put down to £11.50 a month with a £65 refund.....not bad!! this is in south wales
  • ALEXAAS
    Water Meter Not For Us
    We Are A Couple Careful With Water And Thought We Would Have A Meter. After A Problem Finding The Stopcock United Utilities Gave Up But Meanwhile I Found Out The Meter Would Be 98 /pa Standing Charge So We Would Finish Up Paying More Than Now. Do Other Water Companies Have A Standing Charge?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 14th Dec 06, 7:25 AM
    • 28,129 Posts
    • 13,956 Thanks
    Cardew
    We Are A Couple Careful With Water And Thought We Would Have A Meter. After A Problem Finding The Stopcock United Utilities Gave Up But Meanwhile I Found Out The Meter Would Be 98 /pa Standing Charge So We Would Finish Up Paying More Than Now. Do Other Water Companies Have A Standing Charge?
    by ALEXAAS
    You are of course stuck with the company that serves your area.

Some companies have higher standing charges and lower water cost.

Severn Trent have an annual Standing Charge of 19.80 or 28.32 for water and 10.24 or 15 for sewerage.

Are you sure that the 98 is not a minimum charge and not a Standing charge? Severn Trent have a min charge of 94.20.
  • peach triller
    In favour of meters BUT . . .
    My elderly mother who lives alone had a water meter installed and halved her monthly bill to about 18. However last month she received a bill for over 800!!! An inspector checked the meter and claims there is no leak. Two visits from a plumber confirm no leak on premises but they still want 800. Anyone with similar experiences and helpful advice?
    • Wig
    • By Wig 6th Jan 07, 7:42 PM
    • 13,671 Posts
    • 7,367 Thanks
    Wig
    My elderly mother who lives alone had a water meter installed and halved her monthly bill to about £18. However last month she received a bill for over £800!!! An inspector checked the meter and claims there is no leak. Two visits from a plumber confirm no leak on premises but they still want £800. Anyone with similar experiences and helpful advice?
    by peach triller
    More information needed.
    When was the meter read before the last time (not estimated) What was the reading and the units of the meter m^3/ft^3 and what was the reading this time around?

i.e.. the last 2 actual meter readings and the dates....actually the last 3 would be better. And what is the reading today? i.e. was the last reading accurate?

Is the dial still going round fast or is it now stopped? Did she leave a hose pipe on?
    Last edited by Wig; 06-01-2007 at 7:54 PM.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 6th Jan 07, 7:51 PM
    • 28,129 Posts
    • 13,956 Thanks
    Cardew
    There is no way that amount can be 'used'.

The only thing I can think of is that a tap somewhere(garden?) was left on for some weeks; or a stuck valve in a cistern - again for months.

To start I would write to the Utility Company and ask if the would waive some of the charge.
  • Art
    My elderly mother who lives alone had a water meter installed and halved her monthly bill to about 18. However last month she received a bill for over 800!!! An inspector checked the meter and claims there is no leak. Two visits from a plumber confirm no leak on premises but they still want 800. Anyone with similar experiences and helpful advice?
    by peach triller
    When I had my meter installed initially I was getting high readings. Eventually it was discovered that my meter had been connected to my neighbour's property and not mine.
    The water company corrected the error and now everything is working properly. It's worth checking that the same thing hasn't happened here.

Regards,
    Art.

• vfairbrass
    Water meters and selling a house
    Has anyone found that potential purchasers were put off by a house having a water meter?
  • Art
    Has anyone found that potential purchasers were put off by a house having a water meter?
    by vfairbrass

This used to be the case but with more houses now fitted with a meter I don't think most people now worry about it when buying a property.

Regards,
    Art.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,157Posts Today

8,440Users online

Martin's Twitter