Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 4
    • dreamypuma
    • By dreamypuma 13th Feb 06, 9:11 PM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    dreamypuma
    their bill at that time was 10 a month.
    by Dora the Explorer
    That's a big difference. Really worth looking into. I spoke to YW billing today but she didn't answer my question. When my Dad had a business before retiring, he seems to remember being charged. However this was for commercial use, and many years ago when the meters were first introduced.
  • trevored
    Hi We are two adults with a 4 bed house in a South Staffs water area.

I have been on a meter for last 12 years & wouldn't go back to the old water rates system. We shower more than having a bath & wash two cars using a hose.

We collect rainwater from the garden shed in a water butt which we use for watering the garden. Average quarterly bill is 41.75 making it 167 per year.

Originally South staffs water advised me that if there were 2-3 persons in the house then it was cheaper to be on the meter, 3-4 persons the bills would be about the same as water rates. Over 4 persons & it would be more expensive being on the meter. I have found this to be true some one in the same area in a similar house also only having two adults residing pays nearly 400 a year water rates. So no competition as far as I'm concerned.

I hope this helps someone.
    • $17mma
    • By $17mma 14th Mar 06, 4:49 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    $17mma
    We have decided to move to a water meter. There are four of us and they have told us that we can try it out for 12months at no cost and if there is no benefit then we can change it back to monthly estimates.

Will give it a go. If no improvement within 6 months then we will change back at no cost.
    All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing!
    • gaggyball
    • By gaggyball 13th May 06, 9:40 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    gaggyball
    Water meter
    I have just completed the free 12 month period with Severn Trent after agreeing to having a water meter fitted.

I live in a 4 bed detached and we are a family of 5. I decided to try the water meter after reading many postings on this site suggesting that I could probably save money. In order to get a good comparison we did not change a thing about our water usage and carried on as though we had not had it installed.

Over the 12 months I am 107 in CREDIT!!!

I think that I will definately stay with the meter
    • gaggyball
    • By gaggyball 13th May 06, 9:42 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    gaggyball
    You need to stick it out for 12 months to get a comparison with water rates.
  • Art
    You need to stick it out for 12 months to get a comparison with water rates.
    by gaggyball
    Yes you are right, you have to give it a year to see what effect it has on your bills. I have been on a meter for some years and am very happy with the savings.

My only concern is what will happen to the costs once everyone has a meter. I fear the water companies will increase the cost to recoup the money they are losing from those on meters. Me, a cynic??

Regards,
    Art.

• candygirl
    • By candygirl 8th Jul 06, 8:47 AM
    • 27,754 Posts
    • 118,360 Thanks
    candygirl
    I had my meter fitted yesterday, i live alone and have showers instead of baths.my current water bills are 28 a month so im hoping to make quite a saving!!watch this space!!
  • redneck
    1st bill in on a water meter, so far a 50% saving \o/, and thats including a new combi boiler system being drained 3 times, and a water bed that blew up.
    You do get paranoid about how much water you are using, and come up with some imaginative ways of saving it
    As they say up there ^^ you have an option to revert back to unmetered.

Question : my lawn looks Awful, does grass like washing up liquid ?? {after Iv'e done my pots and pans in a bowl full of water of course!}

Next is gas & electric, upping another 10% I hear in the next two weeks, so yup, I'm finally going to switch.

edit : p.s, get a water butt off your water supplier - much cheaper than local d.i.y. I also have buckets, cat trays, and washing up bowls in my garden
    Last edited by redneck; 10-07-2006 at 11:46 PM.
  • Art
    1st bill in on a water meter, so far a 50% saving \o/, and thats including a new combi boiler system being drained 3 times, and a water bed that blew up.
    You do get paranoid about how much water you are using, and come up with some imaginative ways of saving it
    As they say up there ^^ you have an option to revert back to unmetered.

Question : my lawn looks Awful, does grass like washing up liquid ?? {after Iv'e done my pots and pans in a bowl full of water of course!}

Next is gas & electric, upping another 10% I hear in the next two weeks, so yup, I'm finally going to switch.

edit : p.s, get a water butt off your water supplier - much cheaper than local d.i.y. I also have buckets, cat trays, and washing up bowls in my garden
    by redneck
    Gardens love used washing up water and bath/shower water. Just check it's not too greasy from the pots and pans.

Regards,
    Art.

• PabloNeruda
    As I student I tend to bath a little less than I should, so I guess I should consider a water meter, eh?
  • kenshaz
    Should be able to bathe as normal,and still save
    To be happy you need to make someone happy.

• Spendless
    • By Spendless 28th Jul 06, 9:11 PM
    • 20,633 Posts
    • 34,541 Thanks
    Spendless
    My nan lives alone in a similar sized 3 bed semi to us (family of 4) same town but different areas. She is on a water meter and paying exactly the same as us on water rates. :confused: . 300 a year.

She doesn't have a shower in her house but nor does she have a DW nor is she watering the garden each day.
  • Art
    My nan lives alone in a similar sized 3 bed semi to us (family of 4) same town but different areas. She is on a water meter and paying exactly the same as us on water rates. :confused: . 300 a year.

She doesn't have a shower in her house but nor does she have a DW nor is she watering the garden each day.
    by Spendless

This doesn't seem right. I pay 11 per month and this normally leaves a small credit at the end of the year. Other neighbours are paying about the same.

You need to contact the water company and get them to carry out an urgent investigation.

When I first had my meter fitted the water company connected it up to the house next door by mistake and I had to get them to sort it out.

As a quick check to see you are connected properly, look at the meter and get someone to run the tap for a while and then turn it off again. You should see the meter start and stop.

I am sure you will eventually get it sorted out but when you do, don't forget to make sure they backdate your claim to the time the meter was fitted. Also ask for compensation.

Regards,
    Art.

• cupid_s
    We are going to move over to a water meter very soon. I already collect rain water to water my plants as it's better for them than tap water. We put the washing machine on twice a week usually. So I hope I save lots of money

One question though. How the hell do showers use less water than baths? I have showers much more than baths, as does husband (he never bathes - come to think of it he doesn't shower all that much either yuk!)
    A conventional (not power) shower uses between 7 and 10 litres of water per minute.
    A bath uses 36-50 litres. So you only have to be in the shower 5 minutes and you've used more water than a bath would have.

I don't know about you but I don't think 5 mins in the shower is really very long.
    • welshman10
    • By welshman10 12th Aug 06, 1:32 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    welshman10
    Just got a water bill for £300 (Jan-Aug).

We are on a meter. 2 of us in the house. We don't wash the cars very often, have no garden to speak of so no sprinklers etc, 1 shower and 1 bath each day per person, washing up at teatime and wash between 2-5 loads per week.

Surely this ain't right?
  • Art
    Just got a water bill for 300 (Jan-Aug).

We are on a meter. 2 of us in the house. We don't wash the cars very often, have no garden to speak of so no sprinklers etc, 1 shower and 1 bath each day per person, washing up at teatime and wash between 2-5 loads per week.

Surely this ain't right?
    by welshman10
    Yes, it seems very high. I assume you don't have any noticeabable leaks etc. Tell the water company you are worried and ask them to check the meter and the run of water. When I had my meter installed initially they connected it to my neighbours supply and had to re do it.

One quick thing you can do is see if the meter is registering correctly. Make sure you have no water running. Check that the meter is also not running. Turn on a tap and see if the meter starts.

Regards,
    Art.

• welshman10
    • By welshman10 12th Aug 06, 8:45 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    welshman10
    Yes, it seems very high. I assume you don't have any noticeabable leaks etc. Tell the water company you are worried and ask them to check the meter and the run of water. When I had my meter installed initially they connected it to my neighbours supply and had to re do it.

One quick thing you can do is see if the meter is registering correctly. Make sure you have no water running. Check that the meter is also not running. Turn on a tap and see if the meter starts.

Regards,
    Art.
    by Art
    We have already had one faulty meter a couple of years ago. It was a new house and for the first year our bills were 5 in total (2 X 6 monthly bills).

It took countless phone calls and letters for them to believe we had a faulty meter. We didn't want to be hit with a massive bill at some point in the future, which is why we were trying to inform them. All they kept doing was reciting their stats "only 13 faulty meters since the year x etc".

I will check the meter as you suggest.

Thanks
  • WhizLiz
    I signed up for a water meter just over a year ago and have halved my water bill. Was 450 a year, now around 225 a year, even though we have a large pond in garden that takes 2,000 galls of water and we do numerous water changes throughout the year to keep it in good condition for the fish.
    • welshman10
    • By welshman10 16th Aug 06, 5:08 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    welshman10
    Some of you on a meter, can you let me know how many units you use per week?

The girl from Welsh water told us to keep an eye on our meter and it should go up on average approx 2 units per week. I estimate from our last bill that it is going up by 5 or 6 units per week.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 16th Aug 06, 5:28 PM
    • 28,081 Posts
    • 13,924 Thanks
    Cardew
    The average is approx one sixth of a unit(cu mtr) per day per person.

So for 2 people 0.33 units a day, 2.3 units per week.
    So for 3 people 0.5 units a day, 3.5 units per week.
    etc etc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,282Posts Today

7,409Users online

Martin's Twitter