Beginners Guide to Cycle Commuting

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    I might get myself a florescent vest tho!

I recommend some hi-viz gloves too, drivers these days are on autopilot, they looking for flashing yellow lights, they often don't seem to see your arms sticking out as you indicate to turn.
    Certainly invaluable as the days grow shorter.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    What you really need is flashing indicators on your gloves :P
  • Hi Weird Nev, really appreciate the posts and video(s) - although the second one is still listed as private on YouTube so I can't see it!

I bought a second hand aluminium hardtail originally from halfords and a rack to test out my canal towpath commute. Depending on how it goes and if I prefer the road I may well invest in a better bike, but I have myself all kitted out except helmet (if I decided to use the roads I will, but the thought of helmet hair at work is enough to put me off cycling!) for about £100.

28/08/2010 Started saving for a house deposit
    25/04/2014 Completed with a £67k deposit
    10/05/2014 1st Overpayment made
    10/07/2016 Remortgage complete
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Why only use a helmet when on the roads ? A helmet is to protect you if you come off the bike and hit your head, this could happen anywhere.

A helmet doesn't protect you from cars
  • Weird_Nev
    Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    Cycrow wrote: »
    Why only use a helmet when on the roads ? A helmet is to protect you if you come off the bike and hit your head, this could happen anywhere.

A helmet doesn't protect you from cars
    :naughty:
    This is not the place for that debate.
    There are many other places on the internet where you can argue about that until the second coming.
    My advice in this thread is simply "Buy a helmet and wear it".
  • I appreciate the concern and am old enough to make this decision for myself. I can ASSURE you, that I shall not be travelling at a speed where I am able to seriously injure myself. Having been in the army I have suffered many bumps and bruises. I can handle falling off a bike.

What I am not about to do is cycle on major roads where vehicles are moving a darn sight faster than 5 miles an hour.

28/08/2010 Started saving for a house deposit
    25/04/2014 Completed with a £67k deposit
    10/05/2014 1st Overpayment made
    10/07/2016 Remortgage complete
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Not as to get dragged into the helmet debate, but I once witnessed a friend of mine lose it when a dog ran under his front wheel, he went over the handle bars and flipped the bike at around 5-10mph. The bike went over, landed on top of him and the pedal took a huge chunk out of his cycle helmet (which he only wore because his mother used to moan at him).

On the roads, not wearing a helmet has been proven to discourage close passes, but when a driver clips your handlebar in what's known as a "punishment pass", your going wish you had one.

And finally to Beckymoocow :) I have long hair (mid back), I just tie it back or wear a large head band or a Buff under my helmet.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just to add regarding the local shop, they did indeed tell me to pop by if I have any issues and I also get a free service within the next 8 weeks. I'm really pleased I bought locally:)

As Richard Ballantine says, the extra few pounds you spend in a local bike shop buys you an awful lot. And you are keeping a local business, probably run by enthusiasts, alive. When we are all shopping online for the keenest deal, there won't be any local shops left, and that will be a great shame.

And please don't commit the ultimate consumer crime: spending hours and hours in the local shop, getting advice, trying things for size, narrowing your choice down to the final decision ... and then going home and buying it on the internet for £20 cheaper. Not fair, not fair at all.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,553 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Excellent guide, WNev, many thanks.
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    A legends site......http://www.sheldonbrown.com/home.html
    For repair tips or any other bicycle technical articles...
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure