Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Comments

• dggar
    dggar Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    neverstop wrote: »
    I phoned to ask about this and was told this was policy, they even said the ticket collector`s who didn't put travellers off at the mid station should be reprimanded.

Is the station anywhere near a rickety-rackety bridge?
  • Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone can help find cheap train tickets.2 adults going from Telford to London Paddington,Dec 9th(about 08.00),returning Dec 11th(after 15.30hrs).Trainline tickets arequite expensive.Many thanks
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September 2012 at 7:52PM
    The fares on thetrainline will be exactly the same as anywhere else, ignoring their booking fees.

There's a superoffpeak return fare that you can buy on the day for £27.50 each. You have to change in Birmingham and either transfer from New Street to Moor Street (5-10 minutes easy walk) or get a Cross Country train to Leamington or Banbury. You then travel via High Wycombe into London Marylebone which is a short bus or tube ride from Paddington.

thetrainline will sell you this ticket if you ask it the right question - but chiltern or the other sites will also do so with no booking/card fee. But you can buy it on the day for the same price. Or as Telford's ticket office will be closed when you leave and you may have difficulty finding it on the machine maybe a day or so ahead.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September 2012 at 8:06PM
    caramelegg wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone can help find cheap train tickets.2 adults going from Telford to London Paddington,Dec 9th(about 08.00),returning Dec 11th(after 15.30hrs).Trainline tickets arequite expensive.Many thanks
    Firstly, what does "quite expensive" mean?

Secondly do you have to arrive at London Paddington?

If you don't mind arriving in London at Euston, your trip can be done for £46.00 total return for the two of you.
    That's Super Off Peak Returns changing at Birmingham International restricted to using Arriva Trains Wales and London Midland trains.

I would avoid the trainline.
    The train operating companies sell the same tickets, often without the fees that ttl charge.

Above details from London Midland website.

And as Dzug says... a short bus or tube ride to Paddington.
  • Hiya,

Me and a mate are travelling down to Newcastle for NYE - wanting to get a train from Edinburgh maybe about lunchtime on the 31st? For as cheap as possible?

I was hoping to drive but am worried its going to be bad weather and we will need to pay for parking (hoping its going to work out cheaper by train)

Coming back up to Scotland on the 2nd.

Ta

S x
  • dzug1 wrote: »
    You are not going wrong. £15 is for one adult, one way. Add £7.50 for the child and then double to add the return journey makes the £45 all in.

The cheaper tickets (to Birmingham New Street) are not available on your travel date.

Have you thought about a Family & Friends Railcard? Cost for 1 year is reduced by 10% to £25.20 until the end of this month. It will reduce the cost of that £45 fare to £23 and so almost pay for itself with your first journey to the Hawthorns.
  • stefd_84 wrote: »
    Hiya,

Me and a mate are travelling down to Newcastle for NYE - wanting to get a train from Edinburgh maybe about lunchtime on the 31st? For as cheap as possible?

I was hoping to drive but am worried its going to be bad weather and we will need to pay for parking (hoping its going to work out cheaper by train)

Coming back up to Scotland on the 2nd.

Ta

S x

I dont think any Advance tickets for Dec 31st are out yet as think they are up till Mid Dec at the moment so would give it a couple of weeks then they should be out then.
  • Hi

Can anyone help me find the cheapest way to get from Beverley, East Yorkshire to Helensburgh, Scotland. The problem is my OH is on deployment, returning w/c 15/10/12 and I will be given a whole 48 hrs notice of his return when I will literally drop everything and head north. The last time I travelled up it took 8 hrs - 4 changes and cost me £86 return.

Thanks

Ana
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £86 sounds about right, as does the time taken.

It's a long way.
  • neverstop
    neverstop Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 29 September 2012 at 2:34PM
    hi sorry for delay in replying.
    my mum gets Edinburgh to Glasgow line train, from Caldercruix to Airdrie which is the next stop, cost for return £1.10
    On approaching Airdrie she asks to buy ticket to Glasgow cost for return£1.10 . Ticket inspector tells her she cannot do this and says she must leave train which my mum willingly does then re-enters train , inspector says she cannot reboard this train stating she will have to wait 10 mins for next train.
    This has happened twice with 1 male and 1 female (jobsworth hitler) ticket collector/inspectors.I know as my mum does she can pay £4.40 return from Caldercruix to Glasgow but being a pensioner she saves the £2.20 for her tea. As for whom I spoke to on phone I cant remember their name but it was scotrail 08456015929 that is what I was told " this was policy, they even said the ticket collector`s who didn't put travellers off at the mid station should be reprimanded " btw my mum doesn't keep too well and has been told to stay out of the cold. Which is the only reason I wrote this
    thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport