Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• We had a good time yesterday evening. I always enjoy seeing my cousin :).

My healthy eating isn't going very well however :(. We ate early at 6.00pm so the little ones could go to bed early and I sucumbed to wine and cheesecake :eek:. Then I was hungry again by the time we got back, so had an unhealthy and calorific snack of mince pies and clotted cream, followed by more wine :eek:.

Still that is the last of the mince pies. We are gradually running out of unhealthy food which will make it easier to avoid temptation.

Today should be a NSD as we don't intend to leave the house. I intend to eat healthily and do some more tidying and de-cluttering. My parents are coming to celebrate the new year tonight. We're going to cook a pie, hasselback potatoes and roasted carrots and baby corn. We have an unopened bottle of bubbly that someone brought to our party, which we can use to toast the new year :).

DS3 is doing another shift at the restaurant tonight so his shirt is washing again. I'm so pleased he's got this job as it's doing his confidence a world of good. He has also got another offer from a university :T.

Have a good new year's eve everybody.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Afternoon HHOD,

Yay to getting rid of the unhealthy food!! We will all be extra healthy in January!!

NYE tea sounds delicious, enjoy your evening xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Thanks MTG :). We'll certainly try to be healthy in January. My will power is low at the minute but once I get the unhealthy food out of the house it will be easier.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Well I've de- cluttered the bottom of our wardrobe and our hanging rail, and have several piles of books and a bag of clothes for the charity shop :T. Now our hanging rail is de-cluttered I've been able to put take some clothes from our wardrobe and put them on the hanging rail. It all looks much more spacious now and it's easier to see what clothes we've got :T.

Now I just need to fold up all the clean laundry, empty the kitchen bins and have a shower before my parents arrive.

I'm pleased with the de-cluttering I've done, but our bedroom and office still look a bit of a tip. It's a bit demoralising, but de-cluttering does take time and it's a matter of chipping away at it.
  • Chipping away at the de-cluttering is the way to go Hairy. It’s too overwhelming to try and do it all in a few days.

I do hope you and your family have a wonderful New Year’s Eve. Here’s to your first full debt free year and I hope 2018 proves to be a very prosperous time for you all.

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Thanks SSG :).

I was thinking this morning that 2017 has been an eventful year, especially the autumn.

- We became debt free :T
    - My sister visited for a week
    - DS3 started college and got a job after sitting in his room for three years :T
    - DS3 did his UCAS form and has got two conditional offers :T
    - DS2 rented a flat for six months and went to New Orleans after sitting in his room for three years
    - DS1 passed his ESA health assessment :T
    - BIL got cancer :(
    - We went to two weddings
    - I visited my sister in Scotland for a week

All in all it hasn't been a bad year, with many positive things happening :).

I have no idea what 2018 will bring, but hope to capitalise on being debt free and earn as much money as possible to build up our savings and give future security. If DS3 is going to uni in 2018 that will involve expense for us, so all the more reason to be very focused on saving.
  • It’s not till we look back that we see all the events that made up our year - both good and bad, but hopefully more good than bad. Apart from the news of your poor BIL (who I hope is doing well) I think you can look back positively at 2017! Well done to you and your family!

Here’s to 2018!:j
    X
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,246 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    On the whole a very good year for you :)

I like the thought of a clean slate in the new year but then I'm always apprehensive of what the year has in store.

Hoping your BIL makes a recovery in 2018.

Enjoy your celebrations tonight. I doubt I'll see midnight after today's DIY disaster.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • It’s not till we look back that we see all the events that made up our year - both good and bad, but hopefully more good than bad. Apart from the news of your poor BIL (who I hope is doing well) I think you can look back positively at 2017! Well done to you and your family!

Here’s to 2018!:j
    X
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    On the whole a very good year for you :)

I like the thought of a clean slate in the new year but then I'm always apprehensive of what the year has in store.

Hoping your BIL makes a recovery in 2018.

Enjoy your celebrations tonight. I doubt I'll see midnight after today's DIY disaster.

Thanks, I hope we all have a successful 2018 :)
  • Decluttering books? I have my 'la la headphones' on at this point.

Happy new year to you and yours HHoD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure