PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting with situation

Comments

• Things.Past
    Things.Past Posts: 41 Forumite
    00ec25 wrote: »
    talk about unnecessary use of sensationalist language

if they are not honey bees (how do you know?) why is it a "dangerous situation"?

if it is so "dangerous" why is your son not dealing with the situation himself as a matter of urgency? Just because he rents does not mean everything in his life is the responsibility of other people.

sensationalist language , what the hell is that supposed to mean. I have walked this earth enough years to know Bubble Bees from Honey bees. Of course its dangerous if one has to duck to get into ones door / home. It only takes one to start off then the swam attacks, I know because I have had it happen. Tampering would not be a good move by my son, as everything it would take a person with plenty of experience to remove the nest.
    God I asked for advice, now a lecture.
  • Things.Past
    Dangerous?

Bee serious now...

Wake up. I know I have discovered how one bee can attract his little friends. Idiot.
  • Things.Past
    FBaby wrote: »
    I thought that the local council removed bees nest (but not wasps). At least that's what my local council told me because of bees being protected.

Surely your son can make a few phone calls, or is it a case that expects anyone else to deal with his problem?

Another idiotic answer, How do you know my sons health issues, You are assuming he has a phone, not everyone follows the crowd....I am asking for some constructive advice but people like you have no idea, go play on your play station fed up with people like you.
  • Things.Past
    Rambosmum wrote: »
    We have a bees nest in the porch, and have had for the last 5 years. We also have a baby (he was a young baby last year).

We haven't done anything about it and have had no issues. They occasionally get in to the house but if they do, we just help them back out. We can't have the front windows open more than a crack, but honestly, how frequently do the windows need to be wide open?

We've never been stung or bothered by them. They are sorely needed for the preservation of the planet!

Thatys clever, wait till they sting then do something about the situation, bit like letting your child play with a Bull Terrier, wait till it does damage then act.. So these few bees are going to save the planet, think its down to the human race to do that..HAHAHA.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thatys clever, wait till they sting then do something about the situation, bit like letting your child play with a Bull Terrier, wait till it does damage then act.. So these few bees are going to save the planet, think its down to the human race to do that..HAHAHA.
    For goodness sake . . . had two bees nests in the loft, every other year, for as long as I can remember. They don't bother us, we don't bother them.
    Tell your son to grow some . . .
    I feel they are in a dangerous situation and would ask the question who is responsible for the removal of these nests..
    Your son . . .
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    So... this is a troll, I presume? Odd choice of subject!
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Another idiotic answer, How do you know my sons health issues, You are assuming he has a phone, not everyone follows the crowd....I am asking for some constructive advice but people like you have no idea, go play on your play station fed up with people like you.

If your sons health issues are not severe enough to stop him from procreating then how are they severe enough to stop him making a call or two? What about his partner? Is she also as incapable as him? What about you? Are you as incapable of making a few calls as those two are? That's all FBaby was suggesting is making a phone call or two and that gets you riled up enough to be "fed up of people like you" and sling insults and a longstanding, respected and helpful member and yet you are asking for constructive advice, that is very constructive advice.

You have been given advice on a few different avenues to follow to potentially get the nests removed, what more do you want? Someone from here to come and do it for you?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have walked this earth enough years to know Bubble Bees from Honey bees. Of course its dangerous if one has to duck to get into ones door / home. It only takes one to start off then the swam attacks, I know because I have had it happen.

Tampering would not be a good move by my son, as everything it would take a person with plenty of experience to remove the nest.

I've never heard of bumble bees attacking en masse.

A honeybee swarm can be boxed and rehomed but that's because they've left the hive and are actively looking for a new home. You can't move a bumble bee nest in the same way.
  • Don't spray them with water as that antagonises them

It antagonises most people, to be fair. You should probably post this on every "neighbour dispute" thread.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    So... this is a troll, I presume? Odd choice of subject!

I think they're genuine; just a bit out of step with the natural world and unwilling to consider that they may be overreacting through a lack of knowledge.

As I see it, the son simply has 2 choices:

co-exist with the bees

or

pay someone to spray chemical insectcide into the walls of the house

When I was a kid, my primary school had a beekeeping team. Somewhere, I still have a dog-eared photo of us proudly displaying the cup we won. Yes, we were all stung; some more than others, but that wasn't enough to dissuade us from being in a group that had special dispensation to down tools every time a swarm was reported in our area. :D

We never handled the swarms; that was definitely the Head's job to get them into a box!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure