Your Bangernomics successes

Options

Comments

• Wongsky
    Wongsky Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah they both seemed genuine enough.. although they'd be crap car salesmen if they didn't..

found a CD multichanger in the boot earlier and it still has the jack / toolkit and triangle.
    Took it round to my mechanic mate to have a look at and he just swore at me.

One of the things I found unusual about the second one I had (a 1.8T Sport) is that like your's the spare was a pukka alloy, too, not a steel, or spacesaver.

Wish I'd have kept my first one longer.
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    Not the best pictures but I keep forgetting when it's light.

DSCF0958_zps5b1c8ffc.jpg

DSCF0959_zpsd322e984.jpg

DSCF0960_zps946c654d.jpg
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    Few more quick ones.

DSCF0963_zpsa04b35f5.jpg

DSCF0965_zps4ccb58cc.jpg

DSCF0964_zpsf367a520.jpg

]DSCF0966_zps84b8a2d7.jpg

DSCF0969_zps944c2d96.jpg

DSCF0968_zps304e8d0f.jpg
  • Wongsky
    Wongsky Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    That Passat looks a bargain - I'm jealous. I'd been considering trying to recapture some of my younger years by trying to get one from this era, but assumed they'd all be leggy old dogs by this point.
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    Everybody who's seen it in the 'flesh' can't believe I paid so little for it and most people want it off me...
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Garage just phoned, £200 will get the new windscreen wiper and back box and bracket my '95 BMW 5 series touring needs to get it through it's MOT again this year. That's about the most I've had to spend on it in the 10 years or so years I've had it.
    :j:j:j:beer::T:T:T:rotfl:
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Farzackerly
    Options
    Was looking at banger Micras for my winter transport (I'm happy enough with teh bikes for the summer) and while there are several to be had for banger money, there's just no interest about them (for me, I mean).
    Then I realised the perfect solution - take out the guzzly petrol lump from the Scimitar and replace it with a modern powerful and economical diesel. After all, it shouldn't cost any more than I would have spent on a banger anyway. Free-ish (or very cheap) road tax after that, as it's over 30 years old.
    Of course, I could use what I have lying about and there's a 1600cc diesel Golf engine in a corner of the workshop, but that, I feel, would probably be too much of an insult to the Scim. It would probably do 60 mpg though. :)
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Was looking at banger Micras for my winter transport (I'm happy enough with teh bikes for the summer) and while there are several to be had for banger money, there's just no interest about them (for me, I mean).
    Then I realised the perfect solution - take out the guzzly petrol lump from the Scimitar and replace it with a modern powerful and economical diesel. After all, it shouldn't cost any more than I would have spent on a banger anyway. Free-ish (or very cheap) road tax after that, as it's over 30 years old.
    Of course, I could use what I have lying about and there's a 1600cc diesel Golf engine in a corner of the workshop, but that, I feel, would probably be too much of an insult to the Scim. It would probably do 60 mpg though. :)

I would love to see you try this!
  • westwood68
    Options
    There was an article about a guy who put a BMW 3litre diesel lump in a scimitar in Practical Performance Car a couple of years ago.

Come to think of it, that's not a bad magazine to suggest for people on here to take a look at; especially the £999 challenge. Go as fast as possible for an overall outlay of £999
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    Would you be able to get it reclassified for cheaper tax? I'm sure on a veg oil forum the best they got was a £10 reduction. Possibly because the vehicles could still run on the original fuel though.

Age wise, I know theres changes being made next year, but it only means vehicles built before 1st Jan 1974 will now get free tax.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback