PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Entitled to more as I paid the mortgage?

Options
Myself and my ex own two properties, I live in one and have paid the repayment mortgage by myself for 19months and paid off £7.5k of the capital.
My ex lives in our other property and pays an interest only mortgage on it.
We are now selling both. Am I entitled to claim the £7.5k back from the capital since he has paid nothing off?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JLT79 wrote: »
    Myself and my ex own two properties, I live in one and have paid the repayment mortgage by myself for 19months and paid off £7.5k of the capital.
    My ex lives in our other property and pays an interest only mortgage on it.
    We are now selling both. Am I entitled to claim the £7.5k back from the capital since he has paid nothing off?
    You need to explain ALOT more.

At present you both have properties. You are both selling. You are splitting everything 50/50?
  • JLT79
    JLT79 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    We are splitting both 50/50. We own them both 50/50.

We split up 4 years ago, I stayed in the family home, he moved into our other property. He continued to pay half on the mortgage on the property I live in, until 19months ago when he said he wouldn!!!8217;t contribute any more and I have been paying it myself.
    He has paid the mortgage on the property he lives in by himself for the 4 years, but paid interest only.
    Do you need to know anything else?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ex what? Ex spouse? Ex civil partner? Ex partner?

Are there Deeds of Trust set up for either property detailing what should happen in the even of a split?
  • Comms69
    Options

We split up 4 years ago, I stayed in the family home, he moved into our other property. He continued to pay half on the mortgage on the property I live in, until 19months ago when he said he wouldn!!!8217;t contribute any more and I have been paying it myself.
    He has paid the mortgage on the property he lives in by himself for the 4 years, but paid interest only.
    Sounds like he's paid more than you.... :) surely 50/50 is in your benefit?
  • Comms69
    Options
    No, in a mortgage contract all parties are jointly liable for all payments.
    That isn't relevant in the slightest
  • JLT79
    Options
    He is my ex partner, never married, we have two children together.
    No deed of trust, just both houses and mortgages are in our names 50:50
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

When you say you own them 50/50, do you mean "joint tenants" (JT) ie you both own the whole property, no shares, or you own as "tenants in common" (TIC) with a deed of trust stipulating 50% shares? Theres a difference.

For TIC, you should follow what was agreed in the deed. For JT, the starting position is equally split the equity.

If you want to vary an even split, you have to take into account ALL contributions including
    - initial deposit
    - initial buying costs
    - capital repayments
    - mortgage interest payments

While you paid capital, the ex contributed half the mortgage for where you were staying for 19 months.. why weren't you covering half his?
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    He is my ex partner, never married, we have two children together.
    No deed of trust, just both houses and mortgages are in our names 50:50

Based on what you've said I don't think you are entitled to an extra £7,500 of the equity. In fact since he continued to pay the mortgage on a property he wasn't living in and paid the interest only mortgage by himself for a number of years I think that a 50/50 split would actually see you better off. If you start negotiating an extra £7,500 what's to stop him negotiating more equity for making more mortgage payments?
  • JLT79
    Options
    Wow that’s a lot more complex than I thought then. We are joint tenants.

He covered half of the mortgage on the property he lived in to ‘protect his interest’ as he put it. So basically he didn’t lose any of the capital if I paid it off.

I presumed that as he had paid no equity off the other property as he paid interest only, that if he entitled to what I had paid on the house I live in
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    Has the second property not risen in value during the time he was paying the interest only mortgage?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure