Argos - gggrrr

Son moved into new house yesterday & was supposed to have a bed & other bedroom furniture delivered yesterday afternoon. Got an email to say delivery between 12.30 - 2.30pm.

Got an automated call & and a text just before 2.30pm to say Argos driver running a bit late.

I tried to track the order several times online but kept being directed to an error page.

I live-chatted Argos at 5.45pm to find out where was the delivery to find out that the driver had finished as he'd run out of driving time - was told he was probably stuck in traffic throughout the day . Their rep was apologetic & said that they'd re-imburse the del charge immediately & that as soon as they were able to re-contact the driver would find out when the goods would be delivered.

I've rung this morning to enquire about the order to find that the driver started late yesterday anyway but they can't deliver the goods until tomorrow. When i asked where the lorry was, the assistant said she didn't know but the driver now has a new schedule so they would've sent out another lorry to unload the first.

I've had to provisionally book it in for tomorrow as I don't know if my son can take the time off work.

This has totally mucked-up our weekend plans as I'm supposed to be helping daughter sell at a car-boot as she can't drive at the moment because of meds (especially as we should be celebrating son moving out ;) )

ggggrr

I'm spitting nails - so bl00dy cross!

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    so you wanted the driver the break the law and drive over his legally allowed driving hours. You have to give them the chance to correct things and they are refunded the deliver charge as they failed that part of the contract and gave you a new delivery slot
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    No, i wanted my items delivered when they said they were going to be delivered.

There may well have been a good reason that the driver set off late yesterday but that is not my fault.

I'm also cross because they didn't inform me that they were going to be unable to deliver them.
  • angryparcel
    edited 15 July 2017 at 1:22PM
    Chris25 wrote: »
    No, i wanted my items delivered when they said they were going to be delivered.

There may well have been a good reason that the driver set off late yesterday but that is not my fault.

I'm also cross because they didn't inform me that they were going to be unable to deliver them.
    If the driver got stuck in traffic it is not the fault of Argos, drivers only have a certain limit they can legally drive, if they go over than then they could lose their licence, so items are moved from 1 vehicle to another, they have to get re booked in at a hub and then re scheduled for delivery. they refunded you for the failed delivery
  • Chris25
    I realise they have refunded me (although I haven't check the CC yet) but it was not my fault, they didn't have the courtesy to say they weren't going to be delivered & still left my son waiting in for goods that didn't turn up.
    I still don't know whether he can get the time off work to wait in again.
  • angryparcel
    I realise they have refunded me (although I haven't check the CC yet) but it was not my fault, they didn't have the courtesy to say they weren't going to be delivered & still left my son waiting in for goods that didn't turn up.
    I still don't know whether he can get the time off work to wait in again.
    but they refunded for breaking the contract, which is all you would be entitled too. The have not said you wont get the goods have they.
    I still don't know whether he can get the time off work to wait in again

but you are the one who gave the rescheduled date
    I've had to provisionally book it in for tomorrow

so it will be upto you to make sure someone is around to take the collection
  • greatgimpo
    greatgimpo Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    I'm with you Chris25, either they can or they can't. There's no in between.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Chris25, you are entitled to all the costs that their failure to abide by the terms of their contract cause.

Have a read of MSE's Failed Delivery article.

You will see in there that if you, or your son, have to take time off work to receive the re-scheduled delivery, then that is a legitimate cost that the seller should cover.

Ignore all the 'noise' about driver's hours and other such nonsense.
    That simply is not your concern, but something the seller should be managing.
  • Chris25
    but they refunded for breaking the contract, which is all you would be entitled too. The have not said you wont get the goods have they.

but you are the one who gave the rescheduled date

so it will be upto you to make sure someone is around to take the collection

They told me that was the first available time slot they had available. I explained that I didn't know if he could get time off work & would need to check & she suggested it was booked in provisionally & when we know if someone will be able to wait there, let them know if it's unsuitable.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect items to be delivered when you've booked and paid for a particular morning or afternoon - and waited for them. Had I known there was the slightest chance they wouldn't have been, I would have picked a morning slot.

And the fact that that they didn't ring or text to say that they weren't going to deliver still annoys me.
  • angryparcel
    They told me that was the first available time slot they had available. I explained that I didn't know if he could get time off work & would need to check & she suggested it was booked in provisionally & when we know if someone will be able to wait there, let them know if it's unsuitable.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect items to be delivered when you've booked and paid for a particular morning or afternoon - and waited for them. Had I known there was the slightest chance they wouldn't have been, I would have picked a morning slot.

And the fact that that they didn't ring or text to say that they weren't going to deliver still annoys me.
    You are aware even when you pick a slot that they are only estimates as various factors can cause delays.
    If they vehicle had been involved in an accident, would you expect your goods delivered on time. As stated you were refunded, so they have agreed they messed up with the delivery slot. Nothing you can do if they don't have available delivery slots unless you expect them to removed someone else's order off a van, so they can deliver yours.
  • Chris25
    If they had rung to say the driver had been involved in an accident I certainly wouldn't have expected them to be on time - but they didn't ring - and that is one of my points. There's no fun in waiting around for goods that don't appear when we've requested and paid for that time slot.

I realise that traffic can hold up the delivery, just didn't expect it not to be delivered.

Perhaps naively, I thought that the van must be somewhere close and expected that the goods would have been delivered today.

I will, in future, book a morning slot for any delivery to ensure if something is needed that day, that it arrives that day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure