PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Santander formal application ftb 5%

Hi all,
We started our application on Friday and submitted documents yesterday. Does anyone know how difficult it is getting a 95% mortgage with santander at the min? The advisor we first spoke to said affordability is definitely there but the ltv rate is high... This has got us wondering if it's the ltv that will let us down. We have found a house and had offer accepted so ready to move forward. We also spoke with London and country who suggested post office mortgage... But we thought we'd try santander as back with them and help to buy isas etc. Now we're panicking after reading some forums few years ago about how hard being a mortgage with santander is... And wondering if we should cancel with santander and go with the post office as per London and country advice. Men's they suggested the post office as they will be more likely to accept us? Or can we apply to 2 places at once? Any help / advice most welcome
Thanks in advance leanne

Comments

• illusionek
    illusionek Posts: 171 Forumite
    Ive got recently 90% with Santander via broker. Smooth process.

Youve applied already so just wait and see. Dont make too many applications as they could potentially harm your credit score.
  • juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    Buying with a 5% deposit at the moment is inherently risky and you could be in negative equity before you know it with brexit just around the corner.
    Getting your application turned down may be a blessing in disguise!
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    When I bought last year general consensus was Santander are one of the easiest to get a mortgage with however we were putting in 10% rather tgan 5% so maybe that is their cut off. We didn't go with them but they were going to be our backup if we didn't get the deal we wanted.
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It's probably safest to ride this out at this point? I assume Santander have done their credit check (they did ours at the AIP stage). If you withdraw without even giving them a chance to offer you'll then end up getting another check unnecessarily from another lender.

It's a very stressful thing to do but at this point you probably just need to sit back and wait patiently. The option of going to another lender will still be there at the end if required.

They offer 5% deposit mortgages, if your affordability is there and you meet all their other criteria, then there's no reason to think you won't be able to get one!

Also info from a few years ago will be out of date - housing market very different - mortgage market very different.

If possible though do try and overpay to try and reduce the risk of negative equity.
  • aphill24
    aphill24 Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've used L&C in the past and they were great to deal with and I would recommend them highly.
  • juniordoc wrote: »
    Buying with a 5% deposit at the moment is inherently risky and you could be in negative equity before you know it with brexit just around the corner.
    Getting your application turned down may be a blessing in disguise!

Where do you work?
  • Frances109
    Frances109 Posts: 35 Forumite
    We used Nationwide with a 5% deposit and it all went through okay (so far!)
    First time buyer!
  • Hi,

We are in the same boat as you, 5% with Santander. Sent in the full application via a broker on Friday. Already had it in principle as well.
    Fingers crossed, the broker seems to think it should be fine.
  • LKRDN_Morgan
    LKRDN_Morgan Posts: 308 Forumite
    I have a 95% LTV with Satander. AIP came back fine. The full application took about 3 weeks. I think you hear a lot of scare stories which maybe puts people off trying for them. For us a 10% deposit would have taken another few years to save which wasn't an option. House prices in my area are £££ and rising. Leaving it much longer would have priced us out completely.
  • Thanks for your replies everyone! I think we just panicked after sent in documents. Fingers crossed it'll be OK. We have our formal mortgage interview on Friday am so just working through the sums on everything we can find they'll quiz us about. They're not that far out from what we have them at aip stage looking at our last 3 months statements which we game them. Not looking forward to the process mind. Really want this to work out but it's the unknown. The housing market is strong by us, hardly any for sale and selling very quick when they do come up. If it doesn't come through with santander we'll head back to l&c and try that. Buy my cookies good luck and keep me posted if it goes through! Thanks again all :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure