11 years a slave - end of my journey from £103,500 in debt

Comments

• LJB290
    LJB290 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Congratulations - that was an emotive read!
    You must feel amazing and I'm so pleased that you've achieved your goal.
    You are an inspiration!
  • *bows down*

Absolutely amazing, what a stint that is. Must have taken an incredible amount of stamina. I'm sure you're really proud of yourself and rightly so :-)

All the best!
    Mortgage @ May 2014 [STRIKE] £103,347.24[/STRIKE]. Mortgage @ 2%:[STRIKE]£90, 321.99[/STRIKE], £89, 949.44
    CC @ 0%: [STRIKE]£5473.72[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]£5419.72[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]£5365.72[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]£5312.72[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]£5259.72[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]£5207.72[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]£5155.72[/STRIKE], £5104.72
    Home Improvement Loan @ 0%: £0, settled July 2017
    Emergency Savings: £2050/£5000
    Intending to be mortgage-free by 2022 :j
  • Huge hats off to you! Congratulations of getting yourself debt free and I hope you enjoy the many debt free years ahead!
    Debt Total October 2017 £20,511.27 :eek::eek:
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i think they should 'sticky' this...I have seen quite a few who have big numbers (not as much as yours) and panicking, I think this would be really reassuring to them. For me, its simply just inspiring and reminds me to keep plodding on. Well done you! :D
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • Dear sentientpoet (great name, BTW),

I have only just discovered yor thread, have read it from start to finish and am awed by your achieventment and determination.

Congratulations.

You have a few things in your favour for the future:-

-your immense resilience and resolution
    -your excellent writing ability
    -the degree you have studied for
    -the ability to retrench about £8,000-£10,000 a year in repayments which can now be siphoned into savings or a mortgage, which will be on an appreciating asset rather than unsecured debt.

I wish you all the best!
  • If there ever was motivation needed never to never pick up a credit card it would be this.

What a tragic 11 years and perfect example of consumer stupidity
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 27 February 2017 at 10:06PM
    moneyfacts wrote: »
    If there ever was motivation needed never to never pick up a credit card it would be this.

Depends how you look at those 11 years. I don't think it was tragic. It was clearly a learning curve with a positive outcome. To me it showed the OP's strength of character to stick at and deal with the debts.

If it were me I would be very proud of those 11 years and I wouldn't consider them tragic. I am 2 years into a similar path and I am proud of every day and every achievement I make towards becoming debt free.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • moneyfacts wrote: »
    If there ever was motivation needed never to never pick up a credit card it would be this.

While there is some truth in your statement, the last 11 years have been far from 'tragic' and I also feel the need to clarify that my debts were not solely the result of 'consumer stupidity'. Please show a little consideration for others before posting when you don't know the complete story.

I posted so that my experiences could inspire and give hope to others who can't see a way out. Besides, I would rather be judged not for what I did but for what I did to change who I was. :)
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Well said SP. You've fought your battle, your way.

Huge respect

Brizzle xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • While there is some truth in your statement, the last 11 years have been far from 'tragic' and I also feel the need to clarify that my debts were not solely the result of 'consumer stupidity'. Please show a little consideration for others before posting when you don't know the complete story.

I posted so that my experiences could inspire and give hope to others who can't see a way out. Besides, I would rather be judged not for what I did but for what I did to change who I was. :)

Well said:beer: As I said in an earlier post, you've shown strength of character to keep going and pay down your debts. It's people like you who inspire me to keep going.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure