Letter from Wescot re TSB account

Hello

Quick bit of advice please.

I received a letter from Wescott re a balance owed of £206.52 on a TSB account. I've spoken to them a few times and this turns out to be a balance on an account I wasn't even aware I still had open (not used since 2001ish) and they had an old address for me so any letters had been going there etc. So my fault, but annoying!

I can pay the money now but wondered if I have any come back on them having 'defaulted' my account and also if I can just pay TSB directly rather than Wescot?

Thanks!
T

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You sayou above its your own fault so no, you have no comeback.

How long has it been since you last paid anything. I am thinking statute barred
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If it's 15 years, send them a statute barred letter
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you have made no payments etc towards this account for 6 years (5 in Scotland) then it should be statute barred.
    Any default should have long since dropped off your credit files if you defaulted in 2001. If you are saying there is a new default on your files then let us know when it was placed and if it was for this account then it can be removed as it should have defaulted a loooong time ago.

Definitely send Westcott the "statute barred" letter - they are renowned for buying old debts like this for pennies to the pound and will do anything including guilting you into paying it. The original debtor has long since written this off and sold your debt - don't pay the scum at Westcott a penny :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,718
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    edited 2 January 2017 at 5:51PM
    Wescot don't actually buy debts anymore, they only act for clients.

TSB, likely still own it.

Just seems strange waiting all these years to resurrect a small debt of £200 plus quid ?

Unless they are acting for a new owner, does the letter state it's still owned by TSB ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    sourcrates wrote: »

Just seems strange waiting all these years to resurrect a small debt of £200 plus quid ?

It does seem an extraordinary long shot for a small debt...
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • karinski
    karinski Posts: 81 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2017 at 11:00PM
    Sorry for huge delay replying.
    MrsTinks wrote: »
    If you have made no payments etc towards this account for 6 years (5 in Scotland) then it should be statute barred.

Yup I can't even remember the last time I used the account, but it's 100% longer than 6 years ago.
    MrsTinks wrote: »
    Any default should have long since dropped off your credit files if you defaulted in 2001. If you are saying there is a new default on your files then let us know when it was placed and if it was for this account then it can be removed as it should have defaulted a loooong time ago.

They said

Please be aware that this bank account was originally opened 10th July 1997. This account was defaulted 14th November 2016 with a current balance of £206.52.
    sourcrates wrote: »

Unless they are acting for a new owner, does the letter state it's still owned by TSB ?

Yes it says acting on behalf of TSB.

What do you reckon? Thanks!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,718
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    karinski wrote: »
    Sorry for huge delay replying.

Yup I can't even remember the last time I used the account, but it's 100% longer than 6 years ago.

They said

Please be aware that this bank account was originally opened 10th July 1997. This account was defaulted 14th November 2016 with a current balance of £206.52.
    Yes it says acting on behalf of TSB.

What do you reckon? Thanks!

The default date is irrelivant.

It's the cause of action date that's important, the date you last paid anything to this account.

As you say it's likely to of been more than 6 years, you need to send the statute barred letter to them.

Info and template letter here :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/time-limits-for-recovering-debts/statute-barred-debt.aspx
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • karinski
    karinski Posts: 81 Forumite
    Thanks to everyone for their help on this. I just received a letter from Westcot saying TSB have withdrawn the claim.

Couple of things to check
    1. Does this mean that my TSB account balance will now be 0? I will just go and close the account if so!

2. Will this mean any default on my credit rating will be removed or is that something else to sort

Thanks so much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport