local "tick" card - is the debt enforceable?

Comments

• jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Brigidir wrote: »
    do you apply that train of thought to loan sharks as well then? ah well, just pay em off because of moral values. not to spite the fact they are unlicensed unregulated and unfair bullies.

Happy to use the service and take his goods though.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    do you apply that train of thought to loan sharks as well then? ah well, just pay em off because of moral values. not to spite the fact they are unlicensed unregulated and unfair bullies.

Loan sharks charge extremely high rates of interest on their loans, their behaviour is both illegal and unethical.

Unless that's something you've just forgotten to mention, this guy isn't charging you *any* interest. He lent you money, interest free, and now you're trying to justify not paying it back because he wasn't nice enough.

Different. Thing. Altogether.
  • Brigidir
    Brigidir Posts: 20 Forumite
    Ergates wrote: »
    You'd just write off £137 of debt that someone owed you. Just like that. You'd just wave your hands in the air and say "Oh well, fair enough"

I don't believe you.

if i spoke to them like that i wouldnt blame them. so yes i would write it off. i live on principal and they shouldnt be giving credit to people on a whim and then treat them like dirt
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    at-least they are regulated and licenced. these people are cowboys.

What difference would regulation make? The sole reason you claim to not want to pay him back is because he was rude and nasty. Well collections for major banks can be rude and nasty too, but you'd be OK with that because they're regulated?

Besides, you don't know if the scheme is regulated or not, maybe the "internet site" that you're so adamant on getting access to again is the one who is regulated.
  • Brigidir
    Ergates wrote: »
    Loan sharks charge extremely high rates of interest on their loans, their behaviour is both illegal and unethical.

Unless that's something you've just forgotten to mention, this guy isn't charging you *any* interest. He lent you money, interest free, and now you're trying to justify not paying it back because he wasn't nice enough.

Different. Thing. Altogether.

it isnt a different thing. unlicenced credit is unlicenced credit. illegal lending is illegal lending. what you mention are just variables. variables do not override meaning.

and there is charges actually. £3 each time you use the tick in the shop and £3 surcharge on top for cigarettes and alcohol. he threatened to charge me £12 for missed payment but said i pay in cash and i only pay the invoice balance. i want to know my cash is being taxed fairly and theyre not making extra illegal profit out of me.
  • boo_star
    it isnt a different thing. unlicenced credit is unlicenced credit. illegal lending is illegal lending. what you mention are just variables. variables do not override meaning.

and there is charges actually. £3 each time you use the tick in the shop and £3 surcharge on top for cigarettes and alcohol. he threatened to charge me £12 for missed payment but said i pay in cash and i only pay the invoice balance. i want to know my cash is being taxed fairly and theyre not making extra illegal profit out of me.

You were happy to borrow money from him, you should be happy to pay it back. What is his interest rate is he charging? I doubt it's loanshark rates.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

and there is charges actually. £3 each time you use the tick in the shop and £3 surcharge on top for cigarettes and alcohol.

Charges != interest

He's not lending money to desperate people, charging 100000% interest and threatening to smash their kneecaps if they don't pay. These aren't "variables" they're important differences. Trying to put him in the same category as loan sharks as a transparent attempt by you to justify not paying him the money you owe him.
  • Brigidir
    boo_star wrote: »
    You were happy to borrow money from him, you should be happy to pay it back. What is his interest rate is he charging? I doubt it's loanshark rates.

he hasnt discussed interest yet but insinuated there would be repercussions if i didnt pay. e.g knows where i live and my details. he might not have a licence but i dont put up with that kind of nonsense. starts coming round where i live where theres kids giving it large or making threats he'll be getting a large frying pan over his head outside.
  • boo_star
    he hasnt discussed interest yet but insinuated there would be repercussions if i didnt pay. e.g knows where i live and my details. he might not have a licence but i dont put up with that kind of nonsense. starts coming round where i live where theres kids giving it large or making threats he'll be getting a large frying pan over his head outside.

So he's giving you an interest free loan for a month and you're quibbling over his tone?

You should pay him in cash and keep your mouth shut. You obviously need the line of credit and you're getting it free.

To do anything else is going to be a massive own goal.
  • Brigidir
    boo_star wrote: »
    So he's giving you an interest free loan for a month and you're quibbling over his tone?

You should pay him in cash and keep your mouth shut. You obviously need the line of credit and you're getting it free.

To do anything else is going to be a massive own goal.

are you publicly condoning VAT and tax evasion by "cash in hand" transactions undeclared and unlicensed by the national regulator? and theres me thinking you were a civilized bunch. keep my mouth shut from ringing HMRC and reporting his name , proof of this little deal and business address?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure