PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are you SABLE?

Options

Comments

• whiteguineapig
    whiteguineapig Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    Only 1. :o.

and me, just one set, its a pain in winter as I don't have a tumble dryer but I seem to get by (minimalist wannabe!)
  • sal1960
    sal1960 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Great thread!
    Shower gel - which I don!!!8217;t really like but can!!!8217;t justify buying any nice stuff till it!!!8217;s gone, if ever
    Plastic plant pots Mr S hoards them
    Chick peas- can!!!8217;t stop buying a tin every time I shop (chick pea amnesia!)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    and me, just one set, its a pain in winter as I don't have a tumble dryer but I seem to get by (minimalist wannabe!)

I did have two but only like the one set as its 100% cotton. I figured if I was desperate for extra bedding we could use the sleeping bags. So the polycotton set got liberated.

I don't like polycotton.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I realise I have a SABLE situation in many areas.
    • Facial moisturiser. I send off for every free sample going, but rarely actually use the stuff (in mitigation, I NEVER buy it).
    • Embroidery/cross stitch thread. Every kit comes with about twice as much thread as is required.... need I say more?
    • Note pads. Made up from junk mail/flyers etc that are blank on the back, or the bottom halves of addressed junk mail (obviously I shred the bit with my name and address on). I simply cannot throw it when it can be used for shopping lists, Scrabble scores and such like - only now, it's taking over the house!
    • Ball-point pens. I swear, they breed!!
    • Laccy bands - also seem to breed, plus we seem to always find "postman-droppings" on the front porch.
    • Paper clips - from my 10 years' service as Regional Co-ordinator for the Pagan Federation; I'd get at least half-a-dozen paper clips in with my work every week!
    • Postage stamps. Honestly - I have more 1st class stamps than I'm ever likely to need, specially as my preferred method of communication is email - Large-letter ones, too!
    • Tea cloths. My go-to souvenir to bring back from holidays. It's unbreakable, light-weight, and it has a use.
    • Tennis balls. Some of them found by my canine house-guests while out on their walks; plus I've found several in the middle of the back lawn at different times, and not a scooby where they came from.
    There's probably other stuff as well, but I think that'll do to be going on with. :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only yarn, everything else, and there was lots of stuff was disposed of when we moved on to our 57ft narrowboat.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yarn and books (oh and cross stitch!) I really need to crack on and use some of the crafty stuff up!
    Must use my stash up!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 July 2018 at 5:20PM
    Options
    Fabrics, mostly linens, japanese, indie etc. Piles must have reached 8` but are now comressed into vac bags

Fabric patterns and haberdashery

Spinning wheels, I have 5

Spinning spindles, I have umpteen but they are superbly hand made, so I stroke them. They are so well crafted

Fibres for spinning, all beautiful blends like cashmere/silk, I couldn`t resist but now vac packed and away from moths

Knitting yarns

Different woods for carving, 5` high x 6` wide pile plus boxes of useful bits

Stamps, I bought rolls of them in 2006 and have given many away but not made a dent

diy stuff, like saws and sanders, screwdrivers and clamps

le creuset pans and casserole
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Hmmm, I look forward to the day when I have only 1-2 sets of bedlinen and am purposefully wearing my stuff out. I've never ever in my whole life (early fifties now) bought bedlinen or towels new.

I have bought pillows and duvets new successively over the years but have one duvet and two pillows to my name. And the duvet was an unused hand-me-down from my late Nan's household, which came in handy as I needed to replace my worn-out one at the time.

The goal, with most things I own, is to concentrate wear & tear on one or two examples of each category, use them up unto rags and then not replace them. Move onto the next thing, ditto that, not replace. Eventually, the categories become scantier and less SABLE-ish. :o:cool:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Oldangrumpy
    Oldangrumpy Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did I need some-one to prod me?
    Fabric,threads, yarns, paper, card paints, pencils, old zips, old buttons, the list goes on and on.
    Fortunately my husband is no better with nails, screws, tools, wood, metal, the 'it will come in handy one day' and sometimes he's right it does. Just think of the legacy you're leaving your children to get rid of!
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :rotfl:chic pea amnesia
     :
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income