Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

What's a cheque?? You could have done all that on the internet and saved on petrol!

None of the withdrawals could have been done any other way than by cheque. Maybe I could have applied for the cheques online but I would have had to wait for an unclear number of days to receive them. And interest at 1.5% on £7400 is 30p a day. Just wanted it out of the way, for efficiency.

I'm not sure that it's possible to open the two accounts I did on the internet btw; I know I definitely had to go to a Nottingham branch.

In any event, it has filled that awful void till the football starts again!

Drove 8 miles on the two days, the rest by public transport. FOC :)
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What's a cheque?? You could have done all that on the internet and saved on petrol!

Don't think all could have been done on the internet.

Leeds BS Reg Saver Issue 5 could have been closed online with funds transferred to a nominated account or a cheque sent. Issue 17 of their Reg Saver could also have been opened online.

However, the new Nottingham BS Reg Saver and Virgin Money Reg Saver Issue 11 are branch only so have to be opened in-store.

Re: cheques. They're still used quite a lot, most recently a £6.5k issued by Chorley BS which quite a few of us got. ;) As for depositing them, I usually use my smartphone via the Halifax app. If it's a large amount, then I'll either go to the Post Office or post them to First Direct with their pre-paid envelopes - depends what mood I'm in. :rotfl:

I can see why some individuals prefer to go their local branch to deposit their cheques though. :)
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • typistretired
    typistretired Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 July 2018 at 8:00PM
    Options
    I opened my Virgin Regular E-saver issue 11 online and immediately transferred the first £250 into it. I was just joking about cheques but I prefer any maturing funds to go into my linked account.
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I opened my Virgin E11 online and immediately transferred the first £250 into it. I was just joking about cheques but I prefer any maturing funds to go into my linked account.
    There are two separate products: the in-store Issue 11 and the online Issue 11. You can have both, but the in-store cannot be opened online.
  • schiff
    Options
    karlie88 wrote: »

Leeds BS Reg Saver Issue 5 could have been closed online with funds transferred to a nominated account or a cheque sent. Issue 17 of their Reg Saver could also have been opened online.

That happened to mine as expected but AFAIAA I could only have got at the funds by cheque. As I was going anyway, I thought I would open RS Issue 17 on the same visit. It was arranged.

It has occurred to me since that I could pay cheques that I receive by post to a closer bank geographically where I have an account. Have any of the major banks yet introduced this faster clearance of cheques, which would be an encouragement? Santander haven't.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    karlie88 wrote: »
    Guess what I did next?

Did it work? Surely not.....
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    pafpcg wrote: »
    With that level of triangulation, you do realise that you've given away your location fairly precisely, certainly enough to identify the postman's round and probably enough for the full postcode? Then they'll match the postcode to the lists of customers for each those accounts at the banks, so you can expect the black helicopters imminently.....

PS: Sorry for taking the thread even further off-topic - I'll delete my post in 48 hours (or somebody will do it for me!)

The distances quoted are probably by road, not as the crow flies, so it's not going to be that easy to calculate the position.
  • schiff
    Options
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    The distances quoted are probably by road, not as the crow flies, so it's not going to be that easy to calculate the position.

That's true. I worked my way from A to B by using back roads and short cuts, intending to throw the black helicopters off the scent. It seems to have worked. So far anyway.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2018 at 7:45AM
    Options
    pafpcg wrote: »
    With that level of triangulation, you do realise that you've given away your location fairly precisely, certainly enough to identify the postman's round and probably enough for the full postcode? Then they'll match the postcode to the lists of customers for each those accounts at the banks, so you can expect the black helicopters imminently.....

PS: Sorry for taking the thread even further off-topic - I'll delete my post in 48 hours (or somebody will do it for me!)

Think I'd be more purtubed if I were the Virgin adviser (and colleagues) who would now be able to identify themselves when reading this. But additionally now knows who this poster is and therefore can have a good old read of their post history so they'll now know them even better!!

As you say though its way off topic.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    Options
    For SS2 info - and anyone else that may be interested - re post 2 in this thread.

Bucks website now shows revamped accounts. Notable amendments to T&C of Regular Saver Locals include a) unlimited withdrawals at any time, and b) restricted now to locals only (not locals or existing members).

They also have a plain 'regular saver' paying 1.75% which is not restricted to locals, or existing members, allows deposits of £10 to £500 pm, and unlimited withdrawals. Monthly deposit can only be altered once per year, by prior written notice to Society, and no missed deposits allowed.

Ted

Thanks Ted.

Interesting as well that the non local version states:

Only one Regular Saver account (any issue) per person is permitted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business