Standing for election is a human right

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    mgdavid wrote: »
    If you feel strongly about it, change your job.....

Myself and 5 million other people could be faced with that situation, I may do that in a few years.
    In some elections, fewer than 20% vote, in my area it was 30% turnout; I believe there is a problem. More choice on the ballot paper would be a good thing.
  • sevenhills wrote: »
    When the rules says "Your resignation will take immediate effect regardless of any notice period previously specified.", I do not think you will be sued if you are following the law of the land.

That law ONLY applies to people who work for the local authority, not everyone else, for everyone else notice periods DO apply.

And yes senior employees do get sued if they breach their contracts on notice periods.
  • sevenhills
    Forumite
    And yes senior employees do get sued if they breach their contracts on notice periods.

As I have posted before, 'senior employees' may well be classed as working in politically sensitive posts, and will be disqualified from standing.
  • sevenhills wrote: »
    As I have posted before, 'senior employees' may well be classed as working in politically sensitive posts, and will be disqualified from standing.

but EVERY employee of non LA posts will have to work their notice, or get a terrible reference if they need a job after serving/and or sued, you seem to want LA employees to be better off than everyone else.
  • sevenhills
    Forumite
    but EVERY employee of non LA posts will have to work their notice, or get a terrible reference if they need a job after serving/and or sued, you seem to want LA employees to be better off than everyone else.

Local Authorities are large employers, they should be able to manage without notice, those are the rules in Scotland, they will be aware that someone is standing for election.

A local Authority worker will be getting less pay, because they cannot work their notice, is that fair, its a price worth paying. But very few want to do it.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    The "politically restricted posts" rule came about in London, where Labour Councillors in one area were employed as high ranking officers in neighbouring areas.

It is over and above the rule that you cannot stand for election to the council which employs you.

Personally, I think Local Government Officers should publicly display political neutrality. You are there to serve the elected administration. You may or may not agree with their objectives, but it is your job to carry them out. If you let your personal views get in the way then it is impeding your judgement.

Carry on serving the community as an impartial Officer, or resign and stand for election
  • sevenhills
    Forumite
    Nick_C wrote: »
    It is over and above the rule that you cannot stand for election to the council which employs you.

I do not understand this.

Personally, I think Local Government Officers should publicly display political neutrality.

I drive a minibus, are you calling me an 'officer'? What difference would it make if I were display a political poster in my front door at home?
    I do of course, support my employer.
  • sevenhills
    Forumite
    mgdavid wrote: »
    If you feel strongly about it, change your job.....

I have a barrister who is willing to take on the case, for £1,000

I will try to crowd fund some of that £1,000 but I may well have to fund some of it myself.
    I get less than the average wage, but I do feel strongly about this issue.

How many people would stump up cash ££?
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »

I will try to crowd fund some of that £1,000 but I may well have to fund some of it myself.

Why not ask everyone who is currently barred from standing but who would like to stand to chip in a quid and see how far that gets you?

You can't be the only one... can you?
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 12 July 2018 at 7:21AM
    sevenhills wrote: »

Seriously? Very few barristers get out of bed for that let alone take on a case, are you sure that is not purely to look at it?

Rules barring people from standing are there for a very good reason. If you by some miracle get them to change the rules, what will happen about council meetings that are held during your working hours? Will you expect to be able to attend whilst still being paid by the council? Can you see the problem? There will almost certainly be council workers that work at the time meetings are held.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport