Merged properties water meter advice

Hi we have merged 2 properties into one and now our water company is wanting us to go onto a water meter .
The house we were living in before we bought what was next door was on a rateable value bill and we was hoping to stay on that as we dont want to switch to a meter since there are 6 of us living at our property and im sure it will work out more expensive for us.
I need to know what are my rights? Do i have to switch to a meter? Can i refuse?
Thanks in advance for replies

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The water co. can insist on a meter being fitted either on a new property, or upon a change of occupant. Merging two properties into one is effectively creating a new account, so yes, they are within their rights.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to the forum.

Above is absolutely correct. Any substantial changes to a property paying RV charges means a meter should be fitted.

In your case you must be joking if you feel that you can pay a low charge based on 1 house when you have two houses.

How have you have legally 'merged' the houses? If registered as one property, and paying an increased Council tax, you should only have one meter and pay one lot of standing charges.

If you have 'unofficially' merged the properties you could be paying for two meters and two sets of standing charges for water/gas/electricity as well as two lots of Council Tax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure