#MSEStaycation - South

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Where does south start/end? I could point at some places in the Midlands, but whether that's North or South appears to be open to debate depending on how close to Watford Gap you are.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I too thought that a staycation was staying in one's own house, and taking days out. Going elsewhere in the UK is a UK holiday.

Ditto
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The problem with threads that MSE start is that they rarely come back to comment on them so any response by the rest of us, particularly when pointing out the glaring errors made by MSE in the first place, are a waste of time and effort. I really don't know why they bother.
  • Spidernick wrote: »
    Take the train from Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour and visit the historic dockyard (Victory, Warrior, Mary Rose, etc.):

http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/site-attractions

You can walk around the grounds without paying, but it's worth going on the ships, if your budget allows. There's even a shopping outlet nearby and lots of restaurants and the area is up and coming.

If you want to help Salisbury recover (again a train from Waterloo), visit there and check out the cathedral. It's possible to walk up the spire at times:

https://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/gallery/tower-tours

That's just a couple of ideas to start people off.

This is awesome, thanks so much :)
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MSE_Nick_T wrote: »
    This is awesome, thanks so much :)

You get a click on 'thanks' for posting that and I get nothing for spending time actually trying to post some helpful details on this thread! I give up, I really do!!! :mad:
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Spidernick wrote: »
    Take the train from Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour and visit the historic dockyard (Victory, Warrior, Mary Rose, etc.):

http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/site-attractions

You can walk around the grounds without paying, but it's worth going on the ships, if your budget allows. There's even a shopping outlet nearby and lots of restaurants and the area is up and coming.

If you want to help Salisbury recover (again a train from Waterloo), visit there and check out the cathedral. It's possible to walk up the spire at times:

https://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/gallery/tower-tours

That's just a couple of ideas to start people off.

I'd get a train from Victoria rather than Waterloo, passing through the West Sussex countryside via Arundel and Chichester is very easy on the eye.

As Nick suggests, investing in a few hours wandering round Pompey's Historic Dockyard, Old Portsmouth, and Gunwharf Quay is always money well spent.
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Enjoy a luxurious drive to Dover/Folkstone... and take the good old British ferry / train to France!

At least, it would then be an overseas holiday and therefore meet this sub-forums criteria.
  • stevenhp1987
    First Anniversary
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    I'd get a train from Victoria rather than Waterloo, passing through the West Sussex countryside via Arundel and Chichester is very easy on the eye.

As Nick suggests, investing in a few hours wandering round Pompey's Historic Dockyard, Old Portsmouth, and Gunwharf Quay is always money well spent.

Living in Southampton and therefore having spent plenty of time in nearby Portsmouth's Gunwharf Quays I cannot agree it's money well spent.

There a lot of designer shops, while discounted, they are still very expensive. I cannot justify spending £30 for a polo top in Crew or £40 for a hoodie in North Face. The only shops we go to there are Denby, Gap & Radley (blame the other half).
  • stevenhp1987
    First Anniversary
    elsien wrote: »
    Where does south start/end? I could point at some places in the Midlands, but whether that's North or South appears to be open to debate depending on how close to Watford Gap you are.

Depends where you live, to me the Watford Gap is very far north. I generally consider the M4 corridor as the North/South divide.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think the sarcasm is lost on MSE Towers ...

However, I too thought that a staycation was staying in one's own house, and taking days out. Going elsewhere in the UK is a UK holiday.

Indeed, it means you are staying at home, the house where you live. Going away to somewhere in the same country where you live is just a vacation, or even a holiday. Until fairly recently going abroad for a holiday was unusual and for many people it still is.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure